ban smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.
jsbn said:
Being a non-smoker, I'm actually fine with this.

They shld draw yellow boxes near dustbins actually. Want to smoke, stand there smoke, finish, dump it immediately where it shld belong and not flick it all over the place like I see some ppl doing that occasionally.

Alternatively, smoke in the comfort of ur own home. After dinner, sitting on the sofa and lighting up.

yes!!

i really hate to see people who flick their cigarette ends' ashes anyhow like nobody's business.
how would they like it if i go to their homes and do that to them?

and argh, people who blow smoke into the air like nobody's business, even if there are non-smokers around them.

nothing against smokers, but inconsiderate smokers.

ahh..the day this will be the headlining news...

"ARMY bans smoke-out!"

If they ban it altogether, societies welfare loss will go skyhigh....(couldn't resist it..just learnt this in econs today..;p)

The most the government can do it to increases tax on cigarettes and to ban smoking in places. If they were to ban cigarettes altogether, a black market may emerge, overseas exporters will be unhappy, etcetc..

Then the pubs and coffeeshops no more business liao. :confused:

Hmmm... I wonder what will happen if they ban smoking in army barracks..... more difficult for pple to twung... :bsmilie:

i was a smoker, and i say quit, smokes are so expensive nowadays, everyone is puffing until they reach the end of the stick, that is not shiok. There are just so little places you can light up now and until i became a ex smoker i do not know how bad a smoker can smell. I hate to be seated next to a smoker in public transport, specially with someone elderly as you can smell the nocotine ooze out from their bodies can its very horrible.
smoking used to be fun can 'cool' when there are a big group of us, puffing away, sharing cigerattes, TCSS (talk **** sing song), now there are lesser and lesser smokers and the social interaction and support is just not there anymore. plus the fact most of the social areas where smokers gather are narrowing down. I think camps are a great place to smoke from next year, unless the garment does something about the smoking policy as well.
The cost of cigerattes increases twice yearly, once after garment budget, once i cannot remember... you are spenting about a month of your wages on smoke, is it worth it? dun think so, ex smoker perpective and i have not even touch base on the effects.
I smoked since 12, i have yellow teeth to show my ex habbit and i smoked for the next 13 years.
quit now, just not worth it smoking nowadays.:)

i smoke one small pack a day last time 10 years ago......quit! but now only smoke when with my beer/stout kaki over at the coffee shop on weekends......relax a bit after whole week of stressfull jobs......a stick on my lips with a beer glass in my hand and one leg on the chair watching TV..............seems like is going to be history soon.:(

i quit smoking but i feel that smokers are treated like outcasts. They have rights too.
U think the cheng-hu so caring? why not ban smoking altogether? It just gives them reason & justification to increase ciggies taxes....
It all boils down to $$$$. No extra revenue.....just like ERP. Ease traffic my foot....CTE less jam in the evening after ERP...just wait for 1 month and everything will normalize....
What diff did ERP made? Extra $$$$ for u-know-who.....

i've never found smoking cool and i don't think any young kids should think otherwise.

what's so cool about a bunch of people standing around sucking and puffing away on a toxic stick and commiting mass suicide (albeit a slow one)

thats good news!
the government should draw yellow boxes all over singapore for the smokers actually.

ok.. tongue-in-cheek n no offence to smokers here k?

- wont it be interesting to be able to take pix of lotsa people crowding into a yellow box to get a puff?

Assuming that smokers make up 10% of Singaporeans of 18yrs and above (3,000,000), that would bring the number of smokers to be around 300,000. Assuming average smoker smokes 1 pack a day, that would mean 300,000 packs are sold a day. Let's also average the price to be $9.50 per pack. That means that total amount spent on cigarettes per day for the whole population of Singapore is $2,850,000. Let's also assume the tobacco tax etc is around 70% (if I remember correctly). That means that the total tax collected per day for tobacco is about $1,995,000. A year would bring it up to $728,175,000. Let's say my calculations are off by roughly 30%, which would still mean that taxes collected are around 1/2 billion SGD per year. (Please let me know if my calculations are flawed.)

By the way, I also left out the tax revenue the government will collect from tobacco companies on their profit.

How many ERP gantries should the government install if 10% of the smokers quit their habit?

Clark75 said:
How many ERP gantries should the government install if 10% of the smokers quit their habit?

Apart from that, transport fare goes up, school fees goes up, every thing increase just to buy more peanuts for monkeys. :angry:

Clark75 said:
Assuming that smokers make up 10% of Singaporeans of 18yrs and above (3,000,000), that would bring the number of smokers to be around 300,000. Assuming average smoker smokes 1 pack a day, that would mean 300,000 packs are sold a day. Let's also average the price to be $9.50 per pack. That means that total amount spent on cigarettes per day for the whole population of Singapore is $2,850,000. Let's also assume the tobacco tax etc is around 70% (if I remember correctly). That means that the total tax collected per day for tobacco is about $1,995,000. A year would bring it up to $728,175,000. Let's say my calculations are off by roughly 30%, which would still mean that taxes collected are around 1/2 billion SGD per year. (Please let me know if my calculations are flawed.)

Accuracy level +/- 5%, used to be in this industry until I was retrenched. Willing to help those willing to quit smoking to pm me.

Does this apply to all outdoors eating/drinking establishments as well? Eg: Coffeebean/Starbucks, sidewalk cafes, the whole stretch of boat quay? If so, then that's really quite drastic. The amount of times I've actually sat inside a starbucks to the number of times I've sat outside is probably 1:50. As a consumer if I was not allowed to smoke at your establishment, I would most definately find somewhere I could.

Our garmen, always banning and banning. What's next? ;(

I agree with the issues of people smoking in queues or those that flick the ash and cigg butts all over the place. But that's just people being inconsiderate, nothing to do with being a smoker. Not all smokers are like this.

But also people have to get off their moralistic high horses and stop making statements like 'If I don't do it, I don't see why they can't also.' It's choices that we as individuals are allowed to make.

Singaporean alway do what the gov call for. Since the gov call for quit smoking, why not do it, QUIT LA!!

Maybe after one year they will bring in the 7 stick pack and give excuse like smaller pack can make you smoke lesses ( But don't Quit)

reno77 said:
Haha, sounds great to me. Everyone should stop drinking and smoking.

Stop drinking!!!! i never said that!!:eek: :faint:
:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.