Bali Bali Bali

Status
Not open for further replies.
clicknick said:
SGD360 is consider very cheap for 4D3N if it includes SIN tax. BTW, Bali airport tax is paid at the airport on departure, and cost 100000Rp per person, so always remember to keep 100000rp each for tax, don't spend all your $.

Thanx for the warning. Will keep that in mind. I'm not sure what are others budget but i guess $300 + for 4D3N is pretty much ok. So far i have not heard from those interested. Hope to get about 4 - 6 person. Those interested please indicate your nick and name below. The price won't change much but more of the package. If i can confirm the number of people going then i can fight for a better package.

Bali Bali Bali on 17th - 20th July 2005
1. Scann69 / Christopher Lye (Already paid for package in Malaysia)

Scann69 said:
I may want to take out the tour all together since we can get a driver to take us around and sharing the cost of it should be pretty low. This is all for now. Hope it makes sense :confused:
I'm for it, i.e.; taking out the tour and go free and easy by engaging our own driver, this way it gives us the flexibility and I think would be more enjoyable, my two cents :D

../azul123

azul123 said:
I'm for it, i.e.; taking out the tour and go free and easy by engaging our own driver, this way it gives us the flexibility and I think would be more enjoyable, my two cents :D

../azul123

Point noted. Hope that will decrease the price a little or probably stay at a better hotel. Good to know that we already have a contact in Bali to drive us around ;p So you interested to join??

Just stumbled on this thread.

I've booked a 4D3N package from Famosa for end May. After much research, the way to experience Bali is to hire a car+driver for a day.

Attractions include the usual Tanah Lot, Uluwatu, Mt Batur & Agung, Kuta and Lovina beaches and Ubud.

Activities include diving, bicycling, trekking, bungy jumping, rafting and other water sports.

Read from Lonely Planet, from July to Sep is considered the peak season becoz of the European, American and Japanese summer vacations. Prices could be higher and accommodations harder to get.

Scann69 said:
Point noted. Hope that will decrease the price a little or probably stay at a better hotel. Good to know that we already have a contact in Bali to drive us around ;p So you interested to join??
Sorry, had'nt been visiting this thread for sometime, didn't see your question to me, yes keen to join but really need to know when coming back... wifey's birthday on 20th July, so it really depends on the timing we return to Singapore.

../azul123

so Scann69, is there any update for the Bali trip?

I was in Bali for 10 days and just arrived in SG 2 days ago, and if you are going on a free and easy trip, i might have some tips, suggestions and recommendations that you might be interested.

Hi Behyx, good go know you are back. Was it a good trip? Hope to see some pics soon, esp of the locals in their ceremonial/ritual dress and the padi fields. I hope you did a bit off the beaten track as well.

tOGGY said:
Hi Behyx, good go know you are back. Was it a good trip? Hope to see some pics soon, esp of the locals in their ceremonial/ritual dress and the padi fields. I hope you did a bit off the beaten track as well.

It was a very good trip. I went alone, so i can mingle with the locals and tourists there, i had a really good time.

One thing i shot quite a lot are those women in ritual dress going to temple with a big load of offerings they carry on their head. I happened to be at Ubud, their cultural town, when they have a mega temple event that only happens once every 210 days. It lasted 4 days and when i arrived there, it was the last day and was told it's going to be a very happening night. I can only awe at the huge crowd and their love for the Gods.

The padi fields are nice, but really over-rated (i feel), and some of them are very touristy, locals set up shops around selling drinks and souveniers.

Was very busy after i got back from the trip. Now at home still editing the pictures.

---

Perhaps if you guys are not doing the package tour by travel agencies, you can follow my shoestring tips:
(all prices in SGD)

Accomodation 1 night + breakfast : highest i paid is $7
Nasi goreng in a clean restaurant: around $1.50 to $2
Seafood (tuna, squid, snapper): $2.50 a plate
Rent a car with driver for 1 day: $35 and below if u know how to bargain (split it amongst the group, each person pay very little)

However because i went alone, i rented a bike with a rider who rode me around for a day.. it's tiring for both of us, but it's really cheap, $13 for a day. I paid for his lunch of course. Don't try to get an international driving/riding licence there and drive/ride your rented vehicle, because corruption is quite common amongst the traffic police, and they can fine you for any ridiculous reason.. It's not worth it, especially when you look like tourist.

If you want to join those '1 day tour' to different places, try to get those that are around 90,000rp. My very first tour cost me a whopping 175,000rp... i was quite mad then.

When i was there, my lonely planet Bali book is my most trusted 'guide' during my stay there. It's almost as valuable to me as my camera. :)

My total spending for 10 days there is less than S$200.. haha.. you can do it too!

behyx said:
It was a very good trip. I went alone, so i can mingle with the locals and tourists there, i had a really good time.

One thing i shot quite a lot are those women in ritual dress going to temple with a big load of offerings they carry on their head. I happened to be at Ubud, their cultural town, when they have a mega temple event that only happens once every 210 days. It lasted 4 days and when i arrived there, it was the last day and was told it's going to be a very happening night. I can only awe at the huge crowd and their love for the Gods.

The padi fields are nice, but really over-rated (i feel), and some of them are very touristy, locals set up shops around selling drinks and souveniers.

Was very busy after i got back from the trip. Now at home still editing the pictures.

---

Perhaps if you guys are not doing the package tour by travel agencies, you can follow my shoestring tips:
(all prices in SGD)

Rent a car with driver for 1 day: $35 and below if u know how to bargain (split it amongst the group, each person pay very little)

However because i went alone, i rented a bike with a rider who rode me around for a day.. it's tiring for both of us, but it's really cheap, $13 for a day. I paid for his lunch of course. Don't try to get an international driving/riding licence there and drive/ride your rented vehicle, because corruption is quite common amongst the traffic police, and they can fine you for any ridiculous reason.. It's not worth it, especially when you look like tourist.

If you want to join those '1 day tour' to different places, try to get those that are around 90,000rp. My very first tour cost me a whopping 175,000rp... i was quite mad then.

When i was there, my lonely planet Bali book is my most trusted 'guide' during my stay there. It's almost as valuable to me as my camera. :)

My total spending for 10 days there is less than S$200.. haha.. you can do it too!

Hey behyx, Thanx for the update and tips. Frankly, i have not settled the package with the travel agent. I won't be able to do that this week as my bosses are around and i'm tied up with work. Honestly, i have not read what you wrote yet :embrass: but i'll get to it by Monday. I so look forward to it cos i'm so damn stress....doubt i'm the only one ;p Will PM you for more details soon.

Just down-sized some photos and uploaded to my webhost.. Just for viewing pleasure, as i have much more (perhaps better ones) to post-process.

1.jpg

Banjar Hot Spring, just 10mins away from Lovina. Many locals as well as tourists like to head there to enjoy the hot spring, which they believe is holy.

2.jpg

Barong Dance, one of the many dances Bali has to offer. The detail of the costume and the graceful movements make it arguely the most popular dance for tourists.

3.jpg

A street along Jalan Benesari in Kuta. It's around 200m away from the Beach. Here you can enjoy the serenity and quietness of the town and yet still close to the beach. Not forgetting all the colorful painted walls you can see all over!

4.jpg

A local boy riding his bike along the small street in Poppies Gang II. The children there leads a very carefree life, it's not uncommon to see many kites flying in the air at any time.

5.jpg

Balinese like to hold their groceries, or any other things on their heads. Quite seldom you can see men doing it.

6.jpg

Balinese woman holding her 'barang barang' on her head, a very common sight all over Bali.

8.jpg

Balinese are very religious people. Here is a picture of a woman carrying loads of offering for her Gods, for a big temple ceremony.

7.jpg

On a cliff 20m above sea level. In the far background lies the posh (and expensive) Ritz Carlton Bali. Despite of the strong waves and shallow reefs, the very experience surfers do surf here.

9.jpg

The famous Tanah Lot Temple. It perches on a rocky outcrop on the west coast of Bali. During low tide, it's possible to walk across to the temple.

:bigeyes: WOW

shots #1 and #2 are worthy as stock photos for ads of Bali. :thumbsup:

Hope all the participants on the coming Bali trip have a safe and enjoyable journey. Not forgetting to bring back pictures of this beautiful sanctuary.

Thanks behhyx for the photos. I like the carefree boy on the cycle. Very candid to me. The hotspring at lovina is refreshing. I did not know there was one ... one more reason for a revisit.

The barong dancer pose is a good capture of the balinese dance art.

May i know where and what hotel you stay? how many star? how come so cheap? is there safe? I'm doing my research now. May consider going for budget tour. Amazing that you only spend $200 for 10days!!! how you do it?? :)

behyx said:

---

(all prices in SGD)

behyx said:

---

(all prices in SGD)

Thanks for the good update. Many things have changed. Thank God the photo opportunities are still fresh there. Ten years ago, an orang china cakap Bahasa Baku sekit on a small jeep can get around with respectful service esp when you throw in small tips. Now the police set the tone by their carrot head chop act. Not a good sign for me as I like drive.
Anyway, I an envious of your final day at the temple opportunity. Wish I was there. I am truly awed by your $200 :eek: I used to do such trips and have loads of fun ....but now a bit spoilt and wifey do not allow anymore.
When you have rested and have time, can we hear your tales (make it very tall for us) over coffee. I am sure scann69 and others are interested... :)

Wow! is all I can say... am looking forward to see if they have like a night performance where the dancers performed these dances with their elaborate headgear and costumes.

I wonder how we can get to sit in that kind of performances? where to book from and how much? any pointers greatly appreciate it.

../azul123

Shierly said:
May i know where and what hotel you stay? how many star? how come so cheap? is there safe? I'm doing my research now. May consider going for budget tour. Amazing that you only spend $200 for 10days!!! how you do it?? :)

These hotels are measured by the moons.

One moon - big rooms and banana pancake breakfast
Two moons - big room with big private toilet, banana pancake breakfast and free flow tea and coffee...
Three moons - big room, big private toilet with open top and padi view or sea view and set apart/delux duplex units and laundry
Four moons - include manicured garden and super continental breakfast plus juice and air con.
Five moons - er.. never went in before..

Seriously, their cost between $10 to $23 for two. They are very clean, safe and country. Perfect for photogs who have no time to swim in a luxury pool, massage and the modern amenities..... and those like me who have blew their whole pile on the L lenses.

Then again there are those measured by the stars in Nusa Dua and etc.....Just add one more zero to your overall budget. Simple isn't it. :)

Thank you guys for the comments

Shierly, the accomodations i stayed in are very basic. Depending on the location too. All i've stayed are fan and cold water only. If i'm lucky to find a good ones, i might have balcony too!

Most of my places i chose are off the main road, probably 50-100m away. I like it because i can avoid the noisy traffic noises on the road, and yet still close enough to walk to main road. Trust me, you don't want to walk tooo much lugging all the camera gears and tripod.

Because now is the off-peak season, most of the hostels/hotels are quite empty. it's very uncommon when i see the place i stay in get more than 30% occupancy. Thus, this results in many locals on the street asking you whether do u need a place to stay, etc. Not forgetting the endless locals who try to ask u whether u need taxi or transport.

Below are some pictures of the accommodation i've stayed.

1.jpg

Anom Bungalows toilet, Ubud. Pardon me for the 'self portrait'.. I was bored. haha! 30,000rp a night + breakfast + free flow of tea/coffee.

2.jpg

Beneyasa Beach Inn, Kuta. 30,000 a night + breakfast.

4.jpg

Celagi Hotel, Padangbai. 40,000 a night + breakfast at rooftop level. The king size bed is very comfortable.

3.jpg

Looking out my balcony of Celagi Hotel, is a small cemetery. hehee.. I'm not superstitious, so it's fine with me as long as they have clean room with electricity.

5.jpg

Susila 2 Backpackers Hostel, Lovina. 30,000rp a night + breakfast. Pardon me for the self portrait and the mess too... This's the best pic i can find!

There are other hostels i've stayed, but didn't take any photo because i was very busy going around and in a rush checking out.

azul123 said:
Wow! is all I can say... am looking forward to see if they have like a night performance where the dancers performed these dances with their elaborate headgear and costumes.

I wonder how we can get to sit in that kind of performances? where to book from and how much? any pointers greatly appreciate it.

../azul123

For these performance, you can get almost all in Ubud. Being noted as the most cultural town in Bali, you'll be spoilt for choices! When you buy the tix at the temple counters or from locals on the street, both cost the same at 50,000rp. I urge you to buy them from locals because they can earn commission of 5000rp from each purchase. Let them earn, they are very poor. You don't lose anything ;)

There are audience seats when you see dances. Go early to chop a front row seat and if it's in the day, choose your seat carefully according to the direction of the sun.

OH and 1 thing most of you will be concern of, is safety. Well it's very safe in Bali, don't worry! I've also met several locals there, they are very friendly and not $-face. haha! Some even offered to pillion me around to sightseeing for free! I took up the offer and had a great day of travelling, but at the end of the day i gave them some tips, it's a must :) But just to put your mind at ease, do buy travel insurance before you go. I bought one from Aviva and it covers my camera equipments too :)

One very nice picture of a Japanese boy i want to share with you guys..
I was on a 1-day tour, and there was only this Jap family and me in the mini van. Had fun time shooting local things as well as him!

yohei.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.