B+W UV-Haze 1x MRC F-PRO Filter, fake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know the exact price difference between the two?

i think it was mentioned b4 somewhere in CS... can't seem to find the thread. :dunno:

the brass ring version sold by CP (which, IIRC, is the official dealer of B+W in SG) comes from Germany and is meant for our market.

the aluminium (lighter) version is manufactured (IIRC, according to the old thread) in china and meant for the China market. both are, by right, B+W products, just for different markets.

if you got the aluminium version, it means it is the grey market type not brought in by CP.
Interesting, I got a few 77mm B+W, just now purposely took each one out and checked, all those I bought from CP are "heavier" (brass)and there is only 1 pc I bought from HKG and is "lighter" (alu?), when holding each one side by side can easily feel the weight difference. The marking are as per the TS photo on the 1st post.

The brass version which I got from CP or bro Henessey are supposed to be the originals, however, there are those that are of alloy/aluminum rings which are also made by B+W but for China market. The Alloy/Alum ones have Mandarin manual inserts. The Brass ones have the word "F-PRO" if I remember correctly.

I saw the article before from B+W and can't find it now on the web. In it. B+W mentioned the quality not diff in optics.

Nevertheless, the alloy/aluminum ones are around 15% cheaper than the brass type. You can find google for the B+W mass order in Malaysia for answer.

The above are based on my understanding.

Just a gentle reminder that B+W UV filters do come in non MRC (Multi Resistant Coating) versions, which are also much cheaper than the MRC ones. CP also sells them. make sure you ask for the right one.

These are those without the "MRC" imprint on the ring.

hi guys, i made the refund just this afternoon but had a little argument with the shop.

optically, you can tell the difference based on the reflected light coming from any ceiling lighting, fluorescent light bulb to be exact.

bought the brass version at John 3:16 for S$15 more than the alu version.

OT: thanks alot to Samuel Gan of John 3:16 for being so kind & helpful. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bro, I was at the shop when you came. Haha.

Good to know you managed to get your refund.

You guys may find this link useful:

http://www.dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31134

Stumbled upon it when I was looking at come ebay users questioning about the authenticity of certain B+W filters originating out of Asia.

I did a search and found this link which may be useful too.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-292807.html

In that thread, a reply from Schneider to one of them was to buy from an authorised Schneider reseller.
Baddrummerboyy
22nd of March 2007 (Thu), 22:26

Another email from Schneider

"Tony,

Maxsaver.com is not an authorized Schneider dealer, therefore, I can not comment on their products.
I can only suggest purchasing from an authorized Schneider dealer to be assured of receiving genuine B+W product and a U.S. warranty through Schneider Optics, Inc..
http://www.schneideroptics.com/dealers/dealers.htm (http://www.photography-on-the.net/forum/)

FYI: B&H Photo does not purchase B+W filters from us. As a result, there is no warranty through SOI.

BR, Kevin."

Last edited:
This is from page 58 of the B+W Filter Handbook.
http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/handbook/pdf/B+WHandbook_Full.pdf

B+W Standard Filter Mount F-Pro

Compared to the earlier B+W standard filter mount, the B+W Standard Filter Mount F-Pro has been improved considerably.

While maintaining the excellent quality of materials, fabrication, and high mechanical stability, the new F-Pro mount has become thinner, so that now it can also be used on many wide-angle lenses without the danger of vignetting. An exact focal length limitation cannot be stated, because vignetting depends not only on the height of the filter mount, but also on the design of the front of the lens. Nevertheless, the following can serve as a guide: The B+W standard filter mount F-Pro can be used without vignetting on 35 mm camera lenses with focal lengths of 35 mm, most 28 mm lenses, and in many cases even on 24 mm lenses.

Another advantage of the new F-Pro filter mount is its modified retaining ring, which is no longer threaded in from the front, but holds the filter glass in place from the back. This prevents the retaining ring from being accidentally loosened during the removal of an additional filter or a lens hood that has been screwed in too tightly.

Hey guys, I was just curious, has anyone ever encountered a MRC filter with no MRC imprinting on the inside of the ring (though it has everything else)? But it has on the box. I got it 2nd hand, wonder if the seller swapped it or if its genuinely like that?

Hey guys, I was just curious, has anyone ever encountered a MRC filter with no MRC imprinting on the inside of the ring (though it has everything else)? But it has on the box. I got it 2nd hand, wonder if the seller swapped it or if its genuinely like that?

I think you bought the non MRC version which is not multi coated

I think you bought the non MRC version which is not multi coated

Hm, the box states MRC, the box looks authentic too. Well anyway, I bought it from a CSer, he has been kind enough and agreed to refund. Maybe he should clear with CP. It seems like he got a non-MRC filter in an MRC box from CP.

Anyone have the same experience?

Lens filter is one product that has one of the largest % profit for manufacturers and retailers. Being small, stocking is a breeze.

There are fakes one floating in the market. Just be careful. If you go to China, and you have money, you can make a shipment of filters and you can dictate any brand and any wordings onto them. Making fakes is really is that simple.

As for optic quality, the difference is so minimal (between the fake and the real) that it is hard to judge by the picture quality. Lens has its original coating and so the additional coating on the filter is supposed to have very minimal effect on Image Quality.

My personal take is to get the brass ones. It helps protect the lens in the even of a hard knock. When a lens is knocked, the lens shade will be the first to dislodge, leaving your filter as the next form of protection. You already paid so much for a ring, why compromise? May as well get Hoya...

Lens filter is one product that has one of the largest % profit for manufacturers and retailers. Being small, stocking is a breeze.

There are fakes one floating in the market. Just be careful. If you go to China, and you have money, you can make a shipment of filters and you can dictate any brand and any wordings onto them. Making fakes is really is that simple.

As for optic quality, the difference is so minimal (between the fake and the real) that it is hard to judge by the picture quality. Lens has its original coating and so the additional coating on the filter is supposed to have very minimal effect on Image Quality.

My personal take is to get the brass ones. It helps protect the lens in the even of a hard knock. When a lens is knocked, the lens shade will be the first to dislodge, leaving your filter as the next form of protection. You already paid so much for a ring, why compromise? May as well get Hoya...

Hi, mine's actually a brass one, no authenticity is in question here, the printings are all reasonably accurate, tested it on a black surface and the contrast difference with a Hoya (normal coat) is jarring, with a glaring lightsource at 30 degrees. Almost totally clear. The problem is a non-MRC is found in an MRC box sold by CP. =S

anyways, the seller has refunded me appropriately for the mistake, so yea I'm fine with it now..., so I don't believe he actually switched the box, but it came like that from CP, just curious about the mishap.

Status
Not open for further replies.