Aware, what is the main issue ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
why only AWARE for women in trouble ?

i believe bodies like MCYS or MOH have the resources and talents to attend to these affected individuals in the our society.. i feel more confident if such area is handled by a professional govt ministry than a group like Aware ... :think:

AWARE is an NGO and they provide FREE counseling and legal consultation. No CPF people will also help you.
AWARE has a diverse team of seasoned leaders that consists of professionals like lawyers, doctors, counsellors, etc....got a high number of NMP too.
And not all people that go to AWARE for help have issues with mental problem. Don't like that leh.

So what about MOH and other govt ministry you were mentioning?

Last edited:
I think that ultimately the important thing is that this saga has brought light to the fact that there are differences in opinions for a wide range of matters in Singapore, and that there is no one solid answer to our differences.

We should try to see that the tolerance of one person's belief does not necessarily mean the endorsement of that person's beliefs.
Which means that we can tolerate homosexuality in a diverse society, and it does not have to mean that you endorse homosexuality.

I think that ultimately the important thing is that this saga has brought light to the fact that there are differences in opinions for a wide range of matters in Singapore, and that there is no one solid answer to our differences.

We should try to see that the tolerance of one person's belief does not necessarily mean the endorsement of that person's beliefs.
Which means that we can tolerate homosexuality in a diverse society, and it does not have to mean that you endorse homosexuality.

Yes, like what our Minister said, don't let a single issue hijack the whole agenda.

Religion is a highly sensitive issue not just in Singapore, but around the world. Countless wars and atrocities have been committed in the name of religion.
We must NOT let religion dictate the mindset of our multi-religion country. Pastor Derek Hong preached openly that he will not allow our Nation to cross the
line that HIS god has drawn for THEM. In some country, I think riots will start already based on those words.

Don't force your holy water down other people's throat please.

the loser here is Christianity.
They can go and justify all they want about why they did it, but they crossed a line they shouldn't have in the first place. Mdm Thio had no right to force her philosophy upon a decades old and respected institution in Singapore through sneaky means.

And their sexual education programme, what should they have said in their programme material?
To mention and acknowledge homosexuality's existence is in line with their tolerant philosophy. You think teenagers aren't aware that homosexuality exists? Wake up to the new world.

I suggest they take a leaf out of a buddhist approach towards life and learn to accept other people.
Jesus would not have approved of this sort of attitude.

I think that church alone doesn't represent the entire Christianity. It is an isolated case.

I think that church alone doesn't represent the entire Christianity. It is an isolated case.

A lot of Churches and Christians are against Harry Potter too you know? :bsmilie:

yah I don't understand why people make so much noise about homosexuality. it's as if it's such a big problem and all our kids are turning homosexual.

a bigger problem is the number of young girls having sex wayyyy too early and dangerously too.
maybe people should focus on that instead.

How young is young? - I think 12 should be fine for them to engage in sexual activities.

A lot of Churches and Christians are against Harry Potter too you know? :bsmilie:

I don't think it is good to use blanket statement like this too often.

This occurrence is matter of time, happening. As certain religious groups in the world going on purist route, the inclusiveness have been changed to purist view. The differences between the view of masses and those in the purist views(getting less and less width) will clash.

a bigger problem is the number of young girls having sex wayyyy too early and dangerously too.

thumbs up to that, along with the fact that most of these young girls are being suckered by older males. they should be ashamed of themselves.

anyways, i am not against homosexuality - i think it's really one's choice to walk whatever path they wish to in life, and so long as no one forces their opinions down each other's throats, essentially it is not impossible to tolerate and understand.

what i am curious though, is the fact that:

1) there was no hard, solid evidence that the new exco was going to create swift decisive damaging strokes to the future of homosexuality in singapore, in any way (was there?) - only speculation and establishment of affiliations and links between them

2) the "democratic" process has essentially been broken down. this is akin to saying that, if half of country x's members decided not to turn up because they were too apathetic, and group a took over and were suspected of possible wrongdoing in future, it is perfectly alright to hype up the issue and oust group a.

i thought it would have been more fair if there was actually something to prove that there was a hidden agenda - other than just speculation. anyways, just my thoughts on the issue.

Originally Posted by mattlock

agree.:thumbsup: plus health, hygiene issues, and std issues with a*** sex and all, i think thats what they shd not be promoting as being neutral. in fact i dont even think homosexuality should even be an issue, why the need to put a positive, negative, or neutral to it? kids would eventually find out about themselves, there's no need to teach it. not like as if that would help in bringing down rates of abused women (or men) or anything for that matter.

Seems like we never seem to learn the old verbiage: Church and State don't mix!!!

When I say "Church" I refer to any religious ideals/ideologies/theologies. Look back at ANY point in history, that EVERY time religion and politics mix, it ALWAYS ends with a bloodbath.

What we have seen here in the Aware case is Mdm Thio sending her silent yet stinky does of religious fart slyly into the mix while facing the other direction. I just don't want to be in the same lift as her.

Status
Not open for further replies.