Audio enthusiasts: Your opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
if u wanna auction wharferdale, i have a pair of diamond 8.1 (not for sales). feel free to call me, i tell u my opinion

u can also take a look at 2nd hand market, sometimes can get cheap and good speakers and amps. i got a pair of 2nd mission which sounds not bad

too long not into hifi so i'm not so sure of the current models

Thanks quekky. Will keep your offer in mind :)

One thing I don't like about the NS-10 is that it is not flat. It is coloured in such a way that if your mix sounds good on them, it should sound good anywhere. Good for mixing but not for mastering.

not exactly.

The NS-10 during it's days were not relied on as the main or near field monitors.
they were more for vocal editing.

Also, it was used as a reference to other monitors.
just as another opinion.
Because the mix may sound like this on say a Genelec or Audix.
Therefore, they use the NS-10 as the 2nd or 3rd opinion before concluding the mix.

Mastering on a NS-10 is a definite NO NO!!

not exactly.

The NS-10 during it's days were not relied on as the main or near field monitors.
they were more for vocal editing.

Also, it was used as a reference to other monitors.
just as another opinion.
Because the mix may sound like this on say a Genelec or Audix.
Therefore, they use the NS-10 as the 2nd or 3rd opinion before concluding the mix.

Mastering on a NS-10 is a definite NO NO!!
Yup, fully agree with that. :thumbsup:

For speakers, have you considered making them yourself ?

There are some good design plans available on the net using KEF drivers.

Can save you a bit of money and give personal satisfaction in the end.

For power amp, how about Phase Linear.

TS already has a pair of Tannoy CPA-5, and wanted to spend some money on an amplifier for them. We were suggesting to him that for the money, it might be better to get powered studio monitors instead.

I believe Phase Linear died as a brand and company in the 80s. Bob Carver the founder is now operating Sunfire. Unless you are buying used I don't see how the TS can get a Phase Linear amp.

Plus the amps aren't very good compared to even low end offerings these days. Good in their day but now purely for the collector.

Hmmm, your experiece with KRK's doesn't instill much confidence in me to buy them :bsmilie:

Anyway, I'll go take a listen to them this weekend first then decide if I wanna splurge on them :devil:

Are the prices on the Sinamex website fixed, or do they give further discounts? ;)
So have you heard the studio monitors? If you have, what's your opinion?

Hi,

Thanks for asking... answer is 'not yet' because some personal stuff came up that needs attending to first.. I am trying to get some time to head down and take a listen, and since they close fairly early, I can only do this on the weekends. Will update this thread after I've heard it, thanks. :)

Hi,

Thanks for asking... answer is 'not yet' because some personal stuff came up that needs attending to first.. I am trying to get some time to head down and take a listen, and since they close fairly early, I can only do this on the weekends. Will update this thread after I've heard it, thanks. :)
Will wait for your verdict. ;p

Gymrat76 tried to setup an audio listen environment in his room without using audiophile system. There are a few questions and opinions I would like to highlight

1. It is not a bad idea in general, but having such a powerful amp (600+ watt) is definately overkill. A 200-watt RMS amp is more than enough, unless the intention is to setup a club-type sound system capable fo generating more than 95dBa.
2. How big is the room? Unless he is living in a private property where the size of the room is a lot larger that the average HDB type.
3. Then comes the acoustic of the room. If the acoustic is bad, whatever sound system deployed in the room is going to sound bad.
4. Electricity consumption
5. Heat generated by the amplifier
6. Fan noise generated by the amplifier

The reason why NS10 monitors are not suitable for casual listen is because these monitors are designed to be nearfield monitors and near flat frquency response. However many have said the NS10 produces very harsh sound, that would tired a listener in a matter of 45 minutes of continuous listening.

Why not try other active monitors, like KRK Systems. They are well build professional audio monitors, capable of delivering accurate sound and easy to the listener's ear. They even have active subs.

The reason why NS10 monitors are not suitable for casual listen is because these monitors are designed to be nearfield monitors and near flat frquency response. However many have said the NS10 produces very harsh sound, that would tired a listener in a matter of 45 minutes of continuous listening.

Why not try other active monitors, like KRK Systems. They are well build professional audio monitors, capable of delivering accurate sound and easy to the listener's ear. They even have active subs.

NS10 was mentioned bcoz of it's flat response.
it was never recommended for casual listening in this thread.

KRK has already been suggested quite a few times in this thread too.
it is value for $.

Gymrat76 tried to setup an audio listen environment in his room without using audiophile system. There are a few questions and opinions I would like to highlight

1. It is not a bad idea in general, but having such a powerful amp (600+ watt) is definately overkill. A 200-watt RMS amp is more than enough, unless the intention is to setup a club-type sound system capable fo generating more than 95dBa.
2. How big is the room? Unless he is living in a private property where the size of the room is a lot larger that the average HDB type.
3. Then comes the acoustic of the room. If the acoustic is bad, whatever sound system deployed in the room is going to sound bad.
4. Electricity consumption
5. Heat generated by the amplifier
6. Fan noise generated by the amplifier

NS10m was never flat. I don't know if it was intended to be flat. True flat response sounds very nice even with casual listening. Harshness is caused by an accentuation in the 2kHz to 4kHz band wheere vocal clarity is most prominent. As GmbH mentioned in an reply earlier, the NS10m is very well suited for vocal editing and it is simply because of this characteristic. This is usually due to a improperly designed crossover network for the drivers used. I won't say that the engineers in Yamaha made a mistake but it has it's own characteristics which recording engineers know about and made use of to their advantage. Even the powered MSP5 are not flat. Also the NS series tweeters do not have good power handling capacity. It tends to blow out easily.

Hi, been following this thread lately. Went to listen to KRK speakers (at SLS 2nd storey shop). It is wonderful speaker with good bass. Thought of getting these active studio monitor. the price she quoted is about $500. Don't know which model is that?

I listen to various type of songs [Jay chow, Beyond, black eyed peas, Amanda McBroom, Andrea bocelli, Clementine, etc]) & loved deep/tight bass (no need imaging/ sound stage/) but must be musical..;)

Now, I wanted to hookup this KRK speakers to NAD L53 DVD receiver (Radio/movies/music/alarm clock...).. A simple/neat setup. Any comments? will KRK sound nice with these type of receiver? TQ :)

http://nadelectronics.com/products/dvd-players/L53-DVD/CD-Receiver

Apogee ribbons and Krells :eek: ...wow...my dream setup...got any pics of your system?

which apogees are you using? i've only heard the duettas 2 once, excellent highs, and lows coupled by the 4x12".. but extremely demanding at 1 ohm/2ohm. need lots of quality current

too bad they were out of production for so many years

NS10m was never flat. I don't know if it was intended to be flat. True flat response sounds very nice even with casual listening. Harshness is caused by an accentuation in the 2kHz to 4kHz band wheere vocal clarity is most prominent. As GmbH mentioned in an reply earlier, the NS10m is very well suited for vocal editing and it is simply because of this characteristic. This is usually due to a improperly designed crossover network for the drivers used. I won't say that the engineers in Yamaha made a mistake but it has it's own characteristics which recording engineers know about and made use of to their advantage. Even the powered MSP5 are not flat. Also the NS series tweeters do not have good power handling capacity. It tends to blow out easily.

the NS10 wont sound good on transistor amps.
just like the yamaha ns1000.. superb speaker.. one of the legendaries actually, given the beryllium tweeter and midrange.

both speakers are extremely revealing, so much so that component matching is essential.. excellent for people who love to play with 300b or 2A3 tubes.. where they drive speakers with very low wattages but quality output..

Yo

Any1 has any idea how much a Class AB DIY (everything fixed up in a box) Tube AMP cost?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.