Asterix goes to Namibia

what an adventure! i'm enjoying the pics. camping here.

Glad you fulfilled your wishes. Impressive pictures and keeping my dream alive. Thanks. I always think the time taken would be too long a break but really there is choice to be made and it solely is at your own discretion.

Amazing photos. Would love to experience that view of the milky way too.

Swee ! Thanks for sharing. Camping here for more. ;)

Very nice....

what an adventure! i'm enjoying the pics. camping here.

Glad you fulfilled your wishes. Impressive pictures and keeping my dream alive. Thanks. I always think the time taken would be too long a break but really there is choice to be made and it solely is at your own discretion.

Amazing photos. Would love to experience that view of the milky way too.

Thanks all. Just updated Post #2 with my itinerary and expenses... Hope it helps.

En route to Sandwich Harbour, we stopped and picked up a few travellers who had gone on a marine tour. While waiting for their boat to arrive, I went to photograph a seal colony nearby... It was a good thing because then I gave Cape Cross a miss and instead went to Spitzkoppe - that's a story for another day...

12. Sniff Sniff
An imaginary conversion might have been going on like this...

"Do you smell someone ?"

5909439976_1171c69692_b.jpg

13. Sniff Sniff, Look See

It continues "Yeah. I can smell someone. Wait, look, he's got something like a gun and he's aiming at us..."

5908881825_5a66436c81_b.jpg

14. Scamper

Just before I left, I made a fake dash towards them and they ran helter skelter...

The conversation might've happened..

Run, he's got a Canon !!!! :bsmilie:

5909441246_1155c383ea_b.jpg

That's it from the Navy Seals, folks...

Wow. This is information to be treasured.
You have shown us the map of your trip, you have given us the details of your costings.
And now I am just going to cover myself up in the sleeping back inside the 4WD to wait for more of your pictures!
Thank you so much!

WOW! i have to say that you are one brave mother . . . . seriously.. you are the man! haha

asterix - great set of photos and adventure. Tell more.

Wow. This is information to be treasured.
You have shown us the map of your trip, you have given us the details of your costings.
And now I am just going to cover myself up in the sleeping back inside the 4WD to wait for more of your pictures!
Thank you so much!

Thanks for your comments. I can't write interesting travelogues like you do. So, this is the best that I can do...

WOW! i have to say that you are one brave mother . . . . seriously.. you are the man! haha
I don't know if it was bravery or stupidity. Probably the latter...

asterix - great set of photos and adventure. Tell more.
Thanks for your comments. Too much to tell, but its easy to get bored.. Its best that you all go and experience it firsthand :)

Four more from Kalahari Anib...

15. Condominium

Weaverbirds build a big apartment house of nests, usually on acacia trees and sometimes even on telephone poles. Next time you see such a beautiful tree with big huge nests made by weaverbirds, and you see knee high dried grass underneath, and even if you are a sucker for spotless blue skies, STAY AWAY !!! AWAY AWAY AWAY !!!

Apparently, in this thick grass live the yellow cape cobras.

A cape cobra is the smallest, non-spitting true cobra in Africa but it has the most toxic venom. It is extremely agile, easily climbing acacia trees to raid weaver birds' nests...

I took this picture when I went on a 10 kms walk all by myself in the farm.

During the evening sundowner tour, the guide told us about the waeaverbirds' nests and the cape cobras underneath. I turned to stone :sweat: when I heard that. How STUPID could I be !!!!!!

5911467025_386c317996_b.jpg

16. Chasing giraffes

During the sundowner tour at Kalahari Anib, we changed course when we heard that giraffes were spotted in one section of the farm. It was a wonderful chase as the sun was going down fast, and we were tracking the giraffes.

There was a wonderful photo opportunity when the giraffes walked past the sun, but our landcruiser driver was in no mood to stop at that moment...

That's the difference between driving yourself and being driven by someone who doesn't give a damn about photography and the moment...

5911466453_022effa780_b.jpg

17. Magellanic clouds and the milky way for cover...

The two Magellanic Clouds (Large and Small) are irregular dwarf galaxies visible in the southern hemisphere, which are members of our Local Group and are orbiting our Milky Way galaxy.

Every night I would wait for the moon or set or stay awake until moon rise and watch the night skies. One of the best feelings in the world...

5912025294_2de9c2d5e6_b.jpg

18. Zodiacal light

Very lucky to have witnessed this phenomenon.

Zodiacal light is a faint, roughly triangular, whitish glow seen in the night sky. It is caused by sunlight scattered by space dust in the zodiacal cloud.

Unfortunately, I had nothing to compose it with other than my 4WD. Decided against it...

5911466147_921bebcf5c_b.jpg

Hi,

Welcome back. Glad you enjoyed the trip.

But I was surprised with the rental company charging you for the flat tyre! Last year, when I went to Namibia for a 21 day trip, I worked with a travel agent in Windhoek and the vehicle had full coverage. This included damage to the underbody carriage, wind screen, etc. In fact, I had a puncture while I was staying in a lodge in Sossusvlei, but there was no charge when I returned the vehicle. When the aircon failed, they sent me a replacemen vehicle. The gravel road ranged from good to bad in some areas, especially in the North, and I was advised to have full coverage.

As for the cost, I think it is in the ballpark. I spent twice as much, but I was staying in 3 or 4 stars lodges, with breakfast and in some cases dinner included.

I am planning to go back to Namibia next year but with a trip to Botswana (Okavango Delta). Interested?

N.S. Ng

http://nns555.zenfolio.com

Hi,

Welcome back. Glad you enjoyed the trip.

But I was surprised with the rental company charging you for the flat tyre! Last year, when I went to Namibia for a 21 day trip, I worked with a travel agent in Windhoek and the vehicle had full coverage. This included damage to the underbody carriage, wind screen, etc. In fact, I had a puncture while I was staying in a lodge in Sossusvlei, but there was no charge when I returned the vehicle. When the aircon failed, they sent me a replacemen vehicle. The gravel road ranged from good to bad in some areas, especially in the North, and I was advised to have full coverage.

As for the cost, I think it is in the ballpark. I spent twice as much, but I was staying in 3 or 4 stars lodges, with breakfast and in some cases dinner included.

I am planning to go back to Namibia next year but with a trip to Botswana (Okavango Delta). Interested?

N.S. Ng

http://nns555.zenfolio.com

Thanks N S Ng, for your comments, and thanks for your advice when I was planning this trip too.

I did write to Cardboard Box Travel agency, but they weren't very enthusiastic after a couple of mails.

With regards to the car rental, its probably my mistake and bad luck. I should've checked this out previously before booking. As far as the expenses go, I don't think its possible to do a solo trip any cheaper than what I did.

Let me know when you plan the trip to Botswana, I might be interested, though my travel schedule for 2012 is almost getting firmed up :)

Regards.

19. Continuum

I adore sunsets. And sunrises. I used to have a poster during my university days which said "A sunset is a sunrise in the other side of the world..."

Isn't life a continuum too ?

This capture just proves that I don't know how to handle flare (I already had placed the lens hood on). Any tips on how to avoid the flare are most welcome...

I took this picture along a rocky stretch of beach between Swakopmund and Walvis Bay. In the morning when driving to Walvis Bay, I had noticed this section and made a mental note that I should stop here on my way back to shoot the sunset. I missed it, because the tide was up, and I drove past. But I turned back from Swakopmund to look for this location. Lucky I did, because I met a wonderful person in the next photograph...

5914429362_fe8809fc05_b.jpg

20. For the love of it...

I took this photograph from the road before driving onto the beach, chatted with the gentleman in the picture and showed him his photo. I've left my card with him and hopefully he will email me so that i can send him this photo.

He had a successful business in Windhoek which he sold and moved to Swakopmund. I asked him what he does now. His reply was "Nothing. I just go fishing, which is what I love to do..."

Totally in admiration of such people. They are my heroes in real life.

We chatted until after sunset and then said our goodbyes. He told me to be careful in Swakop and not leave any of my cameras/bags in the car within sight ...

5913868715_74a149daf6_b.jpg

Your sunset shot is absolutely stunning!

I and 3 others will be in Namibia before the end of the month and we had already planned to visit Walvis Bay, besides Sossusvlei during our two week trip.

Hello uncle Asterixsg,
How are you and again you are some where else on this earth capturing all the beautiful things in life.. nice series and thanks for sharing...:)

Good to know you're safe now with plenty of war stories (and photos!)
Saw the stream on Flickr but came here for the well wishes
The truck should have said 'Adventurer' ;)