Assembling a PC - MY or SG cheaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Astin said:
My 40MB HDD cost me appr $1k in 1990s.
I had a 30GB HDD installed on a HDD-less PC back in 1987... :D the cost is....

Bernard Ong said:
For 800 dollars can have a very good setup liao. Costronic at Sim Lim offered me $795 for the following quotation:

1) Intel Motherboard I915PCY with DDR2 and SATA enabled (onboard PCIx)
2) Intel 2.8gigHz LGA775 CPU
3) Maxtor 160 gig 7200RPM (SATA)
4) Kingston 1gig DDR2 ram (512 x 2)
5) Casing + PSU
6) ASUS X300 PCI express graphic card (12x with 8 parallel pipes)

For a 150 dollars difference, i chose a lower set up of $640 finally. ha ha

No offence bro, but hardly anyone has anything good to say about them. These days, I would only get my system from a couple of shops in SLS and that's probably places like Fuwell, Storage Studio, Bell and Cybermind.

espn said:
I had a 30GB HDD installed on a HDD-less PC back in 1987... :D the cost is....

In the late 1980s I bought (or rather, my dad) bought a 28.8kbps modem for RM798 :cry:

espn said:
I would vote for that too, but you went off topic this way, supposed to build one for your sis, not vice versa :bsmilie:

GYR :kok:

Haha, if I assembled a new PC, dun need you to kok me liao, my wife will gladly do the honours! :bsmilie:

Ha, hopefully nothing goes wrong with my setup. I did not know anything about Costronic. Only know the price they offer are attractive.

Bernard Ong said:
ha ha ha. I just bought mine in Sim Lim Square yesterday. Cost me only $640 for the whole setup. It consist of:

1) MSI PM8M Motherboard socket 478 for P4
2) Intel P4 2.8gigHz LGA775
3) Maxtor 160gig Hardisk 7200rpm SATA
4) Kingston 1gig DDR ram (512 x 2)
5) Casing w/ PSU

The motherboard has AGP socket for my old graphic card. If you are keen to upgrade to PCIexpress graphic card (Which is significantly faster in terms of rendering), then you need to buy a better motherboard without AGP socket

sorry but cannot help notice the socket 478 mobo with a LGA 775 CPU? can fix? :dunno: :think:

Haha, I still remember my first homemade PC in the year 1985, this was the specs:
1) Dont know what brand Taiwan Motherboard
2) Intel 4MHz CPU
3) 2 Japan brand floppy drives
4) NEC 256K RAM
5) Casing + PSU
6) Hercules Monochrome graphic card
7) Multipurpose IO card (got serial port, parallel port, etc)
No more money to buy the HDD, or mouse, or modem card.

Gymrat76 said:
No offence bro, but hardly anyone has anything good to say about them. These days, I would only get my system from a couple of shops in SLS and that's probably places like Fuwell, Storage Studio, Bell and Cybermind.
Yeah got my entire system from Bell :thumbsup: Going back again this weekend to purchase my 1GB strips and up my system memory to 3GB dual channel :D

My other choice will be Video Pro and/or Fuwell, I hardly visit others :D

Gymrat76 said:
In the late 1980s I bought (or rather, my dad) bought a 28.8kbps modem for RM798 :cry:
Yep... got a first modem that way too, S$340+, then traded in for a 56K modem that never hits 56K.

Gave up on dial ups and gotten a trial status for MOL in Dec '97 :bsmilie:

Bernard Ong said:
Ha, hopefully nothing goes wrong with my setup. I did not know anything about Costronic. Only know the price they offer are attractive.

Better cross your fingers and toes. So many people have encountered lousy after-sales service on questionable-quality parts from Costronics on HWZ.

burger said:
sorry but cannot help notice the socket 478 mobo with a LGA 775 CPU? can fix? :dunno: :think:

Yes. of course. It fits in perfectly.:) Can support up to 3.4gig maximum

Gymrat76 said:

1980's got 28.8kbps liao meh? Damn it....I was so proud when I bought the Hayes Accura 28.8 when I got my first paycheck in Aug 1995...only use it mainly for BBS and PC anywhere :sweat:

Big Kahuna said:
1980's got 28.8kbps liao meh? Damn it....I was so proud when I bought the Hayes Accura 28.8 when I got my first paycheck in Aug 1995...only use it mainly for BBS and PC anywhere :sweat:

Ah well, its either late 1980s or very early 1990s.. remember cause I was still in my teens and accessed the Internet using Gopher and some email program that I can't remember the name anymore :bsmilie:

hmmm, really hope mine is ok.

Bernard Ong said:
hmmm, really hope mine is ok.

Hi Bernard,

Sorry, didn't mean to alarm you needlessly. If your PC has been working OK, then don't fret about it. Just that most people's PC had problems and when they went back, Costronics refused to do anything about it. Also, I'd check the parts they supplied you with also, I remember some case where they gave someone the wrong parts (or was it HDD) and then refused to change it for him.

Sometimes ignorance really IS bliss... sorry for bringing this up :D

Gymrat76 said:
Hi Bernard,

Sorry, didn't mean to alarm you needlessly. If your PC has been working OK, then don't fret about it. Just that most people's PC had problems and when they went back, Costronics refused to do anything about it. Also, I'd check the parts they supplied you with also, I remember some case where they gave someone the wrong parts (or was it HDD) and then refused to change it for him.

Sometimes ignorance really IS bliss... sorry for bringing this up :D

Ha, not a prob.;)

Regarding your 70-200mmVR, i suggest you to keep it. Really, u never know when the inspiration to take photos will come. It is a good lens to keep. Value of it will not drop unless new version of 70-200mm from Nikon comes out.

Big Kahuna said:

Surprise surprise let me tell you...I am still using that one in my office now on two PCs!!!!. My sale coordinator's and Sale Executive PCs..their only lifeline to the internet!...yes....28.8 Accura in 2005!. Just goes to show what a stingy boss we have hor...and what am I using? Would you believe a 6 yr old 56k Rockwell modem. That is why I can't wait ti get home and cruise with my ADSL.

Bernard Ong said:
Ha, not a prob.;)

Regarding your 70-200mmVR, i suggest you to keep it. Really, u never know when the inspiration to take photos will come. It is a good lens to keep. Value of it will not drop unless new version of 70-200mm from Nikon comes out.

Thx for the advice, will have to really consider. I love this lens, but to be realistic, I hardly ever take pictures with it anymore. Most of the time I only use my 18-70 kit lens.. even my 90mm Tamron is not being used :(

Bernard Ong said:
Yes. of course. It fits in perfectly.:) Can support up to 3.4gig maximum

are the cpu and motherboard that you listed exactly what is stated on the invoice?

:think:

sammy888 said:
Surprise surprise let me tell you...I am still using that one in my office now on two PCs!!!!. My sale coordinator's and Sale Executive PCs..their only lifeline to the internet!...yes....28.8 Accura in 2005!. Just goes to show what a stingy boss we have hor...and what am I using? Would you believe a 6 yr old 56k Rockwell modem. That is why I can't wait ti get home and cruise with my ADSL.

Wah, your company super kiam siap man... :bsmilie:

Anyway, my friend told me there's a 19" LCD monitor, think Samsung or ViewSonic going for $499 the last time he bought his PC (around 3 weeks ago). Worth buying? My 17" Sharp DVI LCD monitor is coming to 3 years liao, maybe time to upgrade to larger screen

Status
Not open for further replies.