Asian Aerospace 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terence said:
Sort of working, but more out to have fun shooting. Here's an early preview. I just caught the French contingent arriving this afternoon. It comprised of 2 Mirage 2000s, 1 Rafale and a KC-135FR Stratotanker for the long ferry flight from Europe. They are seen here landing into Changi. Sorry, light wasn't very good, I had to run frantically to catch them landing, missed the first one but managed to catch the second Mirage, Rafale and the tanker. The refuelling probe still hanging like a loose sock on the tanker!

What lens / camera was used to capture these images? :bigeyes:

cqrv said:
What lens / camera was used to capture these images? :bigeyes:

As mentioned... 10D with a EF 100-400L. (no hood ;) )

Cool! :thumbsup:

Nice photo.... Mind to share how you take the photos, mean what setting you use?

Manage to see some aerial stunts of French Rafale and US F-15 while they were doing a trial run on friday afternoon. Also caught apache and I didnt know that they can do 360 degree flip and rollover. :bigeyes: Very cool indeed.

Just to ask, do you think that they'll stop people from going in if they carry a tripod/monopod?

skyflash said:
In AA2000, I think. There was a "classic" shot of Apache "climbing" vertically. It was actually performing a hook (sorry, me not very good about the names). And, the photographer snap the helicopter at the top of the hook, and it appeared to be going vertically up. :)

I get wat u mean. I also saw the apache executing a shallow vertical dive.

While the F15 I caught, did a steep vertical dive after doing a steep climb. The pilot even off the engine while its doing the vertical dive.

I know these aren't the best looking pictures but thought you guys might like an aerial view of AA '04.

large.jpg

The 2 Mirage 2000s, Rafale, 2 F-15s, 2 F-111s and the KC-135FR.

large.jpg

Overall view of the exhibition halls.

large.jpg

That's the mock up of the Global Hawk UAV on the lower right.

Terence said:
I know these aren't the best looking pictures but thought you guys might like an aerial view of AA '04.

large.jpg

The 2 Mirage 2000s, Rafale, 2 F-15s, 2 F-111s and the KC-135FR.

large.jpg

Overall view of the exhibition halls.

large.jpg

That's the mock up of the Global Hawk UAV on the lower right.

Excellent man. Getting very very exciting. Thanks for sharing the info. It is really useful.

skyflash said:
off the engine? :p I think u meant he off the after-burner. looking forward for some impressive display this week. it is a pity that BAE will only bring mock-up for typhoon.

erm hehe actually im not sure if its the engine coz there is a period of silence when the plane is doing the vertical nose dive. (seems like the engine was off) Other than during this free fall dive, the plane's engine can be heard all the time which is very loud. (so i doubt the after burner is on all the way rite ? )

I plan to go to Changi Beach park to shoot the flying display. Does anyone have any information whether it would be open to non-ticket-holding public?

r32 said:
I plan to go to Changi Beach park to shoot the flying display. Does anyone have any information whether it would be open to non-ticket-holding public?

I don't think you need a ticket at all. It is open to everyone.

spitfire said:
erm hehe actually im not sure if its the engine coz there is a period of silence when the plane is doing the vertical nose dive. (seems like the engine was off) Other than during this free fall dive, the plane's engine can be heard all the time which is very loud. (so i doubt the after burner is on all the way rite ? )

For my own opinon, well the plane engine need not run at full throttle at nose dive. It can glide down. Other then dive, the plane needs the engine running at sufficient power to build up the lift and I don't think afterburner is used all the way as it will consume too much fuel and they have pretty small maneuvouring area.

spitfire said:

I believe you were trying to say that the pilot put the throttle to idle when doing the dive, and yes you are rite they don't push the throttle to afterburner all the time, I know F16 have a few stages of afterburner, not sure of F15 thou.
:D

looks like the only photos we can take is the aerial display, so i assume no photography allowed for static aircraft on display, and how to surrender camera when entering the WCA, theres so many visitor u mean everyone have to leave their equipments somewhere, and to whom will the equipment be taken care by. ;(

skyflash said:
I suspect that they may just ask the photographers to keep their camera in their pouch/bag. There are probably many gurkhas around with MP5, so a stern look from them is sufficient as reminder to no-photography rules.

That why I am hestiating to visit on the first day. Let them iron out the procedures first. I will be going on wednesday instead.

Heard that there is a photo contest of some sort. anyone with information?

From what I understand from the SISTIC website, 'general shots' (whatever that means) are allowed in the static aircraft display, except WCA. The photo contest is organised by Olympus, 1st prize is an E-1 with lens :) ! Look up pg 38 of Sunday Times (22nd Feb) for contest form and details.

Cheers,

Anyone has any previous experience shooting the air show?
What kind of focal lenght is suitable to capture the aerial display?

In previous years I had no problems with photography of any sort in the exhibition area. Saw lots of people with long lenses too, and some people were even asking the gurkhas with mp5s to pose for photos with them.

As for the aerial shots, it's a bit hard due to the sun direction. Many shots will turn out black because the sun is behind. I used a 10x zoom camcorder and the planes occupied a tiny corner of the frame, so you will need a really long lens to fill the whole frame. For the air show you're best off staying at the beach, rather than paying to go in. Once you're inside you'll be blocked by buildings and stuff. Or you could do what I like to do and watch the air show for free on the first day and pay to go in on the second day.

Incidentally, the F117 and SH-60 Seahawk won't be appearing this year... seems like they were cancelled last-minute. The only new fighter this year is the F-111A.

kenghor said:
Anyone has any previous experience shooting the air show?
What kind of focal lenght is suitable to capture the aerial display?

Status
Not open for further replies.