Articles we will all hate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope its not me.....:angel:

The article just says that you can take stunning pictures with even the most simplest and

unsophisticated camera. Nothing about equipment superiority. Don't know why people take it to mean as an attack on someone who spend their money on equipment. :think:

Not you :D

There are two types of people that really irritated me to no ends.

The Equipment Whore, we do not need to explan nor introduce them again, for they are well known.

The second type are not well known. They are those I slammed originally, I will call them the Equipment Envist. There are many photogrpahers here, who are very passionate and will go to no ends to get the equipmetn needed to capture an image. These equipment are frequently rather expensive. The Equipment Envist will immediately criticise the photographer, questioning the rationale for the equipment purchased, arguing that a cheaper set up is just as good, that thequipoment is overkill since it is not used to make money ..... do I need to give more samples ....

have I made a wrong decision by buying a dSLR? lol

Hey guys...
Don't hate on the equipment whores. These people are integral to any company's survival cuz they are the best customers!
Canon/Nikon and others need their monetary support to conduct RnD to build even better cameras and lenses for us photographers (be it amateur or professional)!
I mean... the compacts and lower end DSLR models always get hand-me-down technologies from their big brothers right?
Maybe someday all DSLRs will be full-frame!

what is wrong with consumerism? I absolutely love consumerism especially when it comes to camera! Without it, do you think a entry level DSLR would cost only $1500? Do you think a pro DSLR would only cost $3500? Would there even be a prosumer DSLR if not for consumerism?

And like what blive has mentiioned, who is the typical singaporean?

Anyhow, a camera is no longer just a tool for a professional, even thought it is made for one, especially when photography is no longer restricts to just professional photographer (a kid could even take pictures with a simple camera phone). Let's face it, how many people who owns a DSLR actually shoots every picture in RAW? Let alone processing every single image in post? How many people actually fully understands what is aperture, shutter speed, 1st shutter curtain, 2nd shutter curtain, exposure, composition, white balance, flash sync, etc. , even before he/she starting taking a picture?

Picture taking is fun and easy since the invention of digital sensor. With consumerism, Isn't it wonderful everybody could buy a camera and enjoy photography now? So don't be bitter when someone just want to buy a 1DsMKIII just for his /her hobby.

i dont shoot raw also...dont like working with huge files.
if photo taking is meant to be fun...why did this guy get so much flak for using his tammy lens in a random way...http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376910

Not you :D

There are two types of people that really irritated me to no ends.

The Equipment Whore, we do not need to explan nor introduce them again, for they are well known.

The second type are not well known. They are those I slammed originally, I will call them the Equipment Envist. There are many photogrpahers here, who are very passionate and will go to no ends to get the equipmetn needed to capture an image. These equipment are frequently rather expensive. The Equipment Envist will immediately criticise the photographer, questioning the rationale for the equipment purchased, arguing that a cheaper set up is just as good, that thequipoment is overkill since it is not used to make money ..... do I need to give more samples ....

:vhappy:

Now that you mentioned it, I also don't like those envist! They are similiar to the people who say that I have been lucky in my life. They forget that I have to work hard and put in effort to get to where I am today, on top of all the blessings. But then the envist could be just having a bad day, that's all... :bsmilie:

have I made a wrong decision by buying a dSLR? lol

It depends on you. If you are interested in photography, then getting a DSLR is right for you to develop your skill and interest.

i dont shoot raw also...dont like working with huge files.
if photo taking is meant to be fun...why did this guy get so much flak for using his tammy lens in a random way...http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376910

Probably he's not doing the lens justice, or some people just having a bad day...;)

With reference to the KRW article and similar articles on why equipment does not matter, my question is

If you are given a near top / top of the line camera of the same brand that you are now using to shoot (whether its a Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony etc), do you think you will produce better pictures as compared to your present camera ?

If your answer is "No" then it confirms that equipment does not matter and upgrading is just either to boost ego or waste money as some have put it. :)

Alternatively, if the answer is "Yes, I will most likely produce better photos", then we are no different from people who buy better equipment for they too believe that their chances of taking better photos increases with better equipment.

The only difference is those people are prepared to spend that kind of money on their equipment, whereas we are restricted by either budget constraints or mindset to spend that kind of $ on our equipment. How many amongst us, if we can afford it and desires to, buys a D40 if we can afford a D300 ?

.. :)

I'm a fan of expensive gears too. In fact, I like the technology behind the latest gears more than shooting.

Just want to answer the question.
I found a guy who uses D40 but can afford Nikon's top of the line:

http://digitalphotographer.com.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=10568

I really hope my thread didn't open up that big a can of worms. My point in sharing the article, via an analogy, is that while it is very shiok to own a BMW with the latest cutting-edge technology, the best that one's pocket can afford, sometimes, it is extremely enjoyable to go for a spin in a old VW Beetle. And if you can record impressive lap times with that Beetle, it's like cream on pudding ;)

Wilson Tsoi shoots with both PnS cameras, as well as pro DSLRs.

I really hope my thread didn't open up that big a can of worms. My point in sharing the article, via an analogy, is that while it is very shiok to own a BMW with the latest cutting-edge technology, the best that one's pocket can afford, sometimes, it is extremely enjoyable to go for a spin in a old VW Beetle. And if you can record impressive lap times with that Beetle, it's like cream on pudding ;)

It always happen when people only choose to read what they want and omit the purpose of the article....chill, man! :bsmilie:

Person or Equipment....
The person must first understand what is the best avaliable tools needed for the job and how to operate it to it fullest.
I remember a quote of TV: Man, Moment, Machine. Each contribute in the succuss of any event or invention, but it is the Man that start it first.

I always use my P&S Finepix Z3 and DSLR Nikon D300.
Both serve different purpose, i can't carry of DSLR to work everyday and take quick snap shot of my work nor i can use my P&S for my macro.....

Those equipment whore (hope i'm not class as one) have the right to buy the top of the range equipment, and yes, i really need them to boost the sale and hence help in the camera R&D.
Some of them actually thought that they become pro after holding a pro camera, i just laugh it off and name them as GWC.

For those equipment envist, just let them complaint, because in their heart they actually dying to own a better setup.

btw, i prefer my D300 shots compare with my D80, i don't think i want a D3 at the moment because i actually need the 1.5crop sensor.

Dont think u have opened a big can of worms. People will always have their own opinion about all things, cameras included. Between the latest BMW 335 and a VW beetle, my first option is to have both, second option the 335 and lastly just the VW ! Thats also the reason why a lot of CS members own DSLRs and P&S - the best of both worlds ! Technology advancements in cameras have allowed us to push the boundaries of photography. High ISO performance, comprehensive WB controls, high shutter speeds etc, all these have allowed photographers to go beyond what the older cameras are capable of. The value of these developments can be seen in the quality and diversity of photographs being taken nowadays. Equipment aside, what is important is this : what you choose to shoot with is your own prerogative, but one should not speak bad of those who use equipment inferior to one's own and neither should one belittle the photographer shooting with equipment better than one's own. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.