Article : How to edit your Infrared photos,chapter 1(skintone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireWorms

Sep 9, 2008
just wanna share

Chapter 1

*for Infrared FireWorms v5b / Dibyo's full infrared / Harlim's v3 / Hoya R72 / Cokin 007

What people said about skintone in infrared? I believe they will answered it with “zombie skintone”. Yah, mostly infrared photographers using standard preset(preset to leaf or grass), is it right? In my humble opinion, it’s just make you spend more time in photoshop, setting the colour balance or channel mixer then masking to create the skintone,but, wow, it’s enough to take 3 cups of coffee.
It’s up to you, it’s your decision to edit the photo, but can we make it more simple?
How? First make a preset from dark brown colour (you can use your wood table or any material) *note, you may found some difficulty if you are using Canon. How do we know that the preset is correct? Tone : orange – brown.
It’s not only affecting the tone, but it makes the contrast etc more natural than making skintone in photoshop.

------------------------------------------------------------------------​
Optimize the skintone preset in Studio,

This pic was taken with Nikon D70 | Nikkor AF-D 80-200mm f2.8 | FireWorms v5b | 3 Lamps | Preset : Skintone

before :

pre_DSC4995.jpg

after :

after_DSC4995.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------​
  1. After load the picture, duplicate the image to prevent the photo. (Right click at the layer background)
    7a.jpg
  2. Make a layer curve like this.
    7b.jpg
  3. Then, make a layer Colour balance. (midtones +8 0 -22)
    7c.jpg

• Select the white rectangle (at the center), then invert it (CTRL + I) so it will change to black. Now use brush with opacity 40~50%, brush the skin area with brush white colour.
    7d.jpg
  • Repeat the previous step to colorize the hair.
    7e.jpg
  • Right Click > Merge Visibile.
    7f.jpg
  • Change the layer type to Color.
    7g.jpg
  • Set the colour to white and dark-red. Use brush 20%, white for eyes and dark-red for lips
    7h.jpg

1. After that, merge both layers. And re-create the duplicate. For the new background copy, create lens blur.
    7i.jpg
  2. I’m using Radius 40, it’s up to you.
    7j.jpg
  3. Create a masking layer(looks like japan flag next to logo fx, right-bottom). Invert it, then use white brush with opacity 50%, brush the skin area.DONE
    7k.jpg
best regards
Arif

FAQ :

Q : if the tone suppose to be orange-brown, then why the pic isn't orange-brown?
A : Studio lamps are diff with Sun.

same preset, outside.

_DSC3782-2.jpg

Excellent sharing. Appreciate the effort to walk through the process. :thumbsup:

Thanks Arif for sharing your work flow.

Much appreciated.

Last edited:
thank you fireworm. good effort, i think it is only fair that appreciation is voiced.

i wish there were more people in clubsnap like you. this will be useful if i ever decide to try portraiture out. love your work! :thumbsup:

Very nice!!! Thanks for sharing this info

my pleasure.

there are still several things, BW toning for IR High-Key, Colouring Landscape, etc...
yah...hope it can be finish before 15th Feb '09.(until end of this month..got several work to do)

Last edited:
Very informative :) Thanks for sharing :D

thanks for sharing the tips...:thumbsup:

[*]Select the white rectangle (at the center), then invert it (CTRL + I) so it will change to black. Now use brush with opacity 40~50%, brush the skin area with brush white colour.
7d.jpg

Could you elaborate?
What is the White rectangle? Where can it be found??
i dont quite understand this part bro..

Could you elaborate?
What is the White rectangle? Where can it be found??
i dont quite understand this part bro..

between logo clipper and "color balance 1"
on the picture you can see it's already black (converted already)

:thumbsup: , good stuff !
now i just need to find a model as pretty as the one in your demo ;p

btw , I am using Harlim v3

Thanks for sharing !!!! ;)

mantaf bro. thanks for sharing.
i have Nikon D40 IR modified Harlim v7, the output is majority in red. could u pls help me to processing the image? any tips n tricks?

salam kaskus & FN kekeke

mantaf bro. thanks for sharing.
i have Nikon D40 IR modified Harlim v7, the output is majority in red. could u pls help me to processing the image? any tips n tricks?

salam kaskus & FN kekeke

hahahaha...if u r kaskus user, then u must know my YM, we can talk bout it through YM ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.