Army Market at Beach Rd - Open on weekends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
if it's just 2-3 inches and a one-off event, those rubber boots would seem quite worth it.

or you can get rather fashionable timberland boots with full leather for only $149.50. i almost got a pair for winter but it didnt have my size.

Since you're a lady, I wouldn't recommend the SAF GT boots as ladies boot size is smaller.

I would recommend commercially off the shelf GT shoes from Salomon, Vasque and other sports brand.

HTH.

antacid: Unfortunately, it won't be a one-time event. In regards to the Timberland boots, I heard that someone utterly destroyed her pair after 1 outing. I think it is tragic that Timberland boots did not manage to survive under such conditions. :confused:

xtemujin: What is the smallest size available for the SAF boots? I'm about a US 6 or 7. :)

How about this? :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellington_boot

According to ns.sg, the smallest size GTX boot is size 240, about size 6. Mine is 270 which is about size 8. I've seen size 6 and 7 before at camp emart but note that its mens size. I think men US6 is bigger than ladies US6?

BTW, it cost $101.58 credits/dollars.

hmmz.. When I get into the water.. the water normally covers the boots.. so it makes no difference if the boots is waterproof ... the good thing is it dries fast.. But from what i can recall... In shallow water or light rain.. The goretex boots can keep out water quite well (not 100% waterproof).. though maybe not as well as rubber boots.. :bsmilie: To keep your feet dry .. we used to coat our feets and socks with thick layers of talcum powder during NS.. :bsmilie: Ladies or civilians may have better methods like waterproof socks?

If Felicia Chin:)lovegrin:) can fit into the SAF uniform, and there are service-women in the SAF, I would think there will be sizes for women.

I never tried other boots/trekking shoes before, so I cant comment on others. Maybe you can browse through these websites? Got discussion on SAF boots also..
http://www.sac.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1327&PN=0&TPN=2
http://www.sac.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1337&PN=3&TPN=2
http://www.sac.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1249

Do pay a visit to army market or the camping shops at peninsula or even World of Sports....and do break-in/season your shoes before using them for the trek.. :)

goretex boots should be 100% waterproof, and no seeping from any seam / joint. if so, send them back to where you got them and claim warranty from goretex.

if water gets in from top of boot, then too bad.

goretex boots should be 100% waterproof, and no seeping from any seam / joint. if so, send them back to where you got them and claim warranty from goretex.

gortex are not waterproofed. tested over and over again. it's made of cloth-like material which makes it more comfy and lighter which weights over that fact that normal standard combat boots are much more waterproofed than gortex. if you don't mind the slight pain initially upon wearing combat boots, why not?

i've been through chest deep water and seriously, no boots are totally waterproof.

Not possible. Water will still seep in. For SAF's boots, its only waterproof for the lower 2-3 inches, which is leather. The upper is goretex and will leak, its more like splash proof. Its also due to the opening/tongue/eyelets of the boot.

In terms of waterproofing, its no better than the old full leather boot but it is lighter by quite a bit and have better cushioning and sole.

Hi all, I would like to find out if the Army Market at Beach Rd is open on weekends. I am planning to head down very soon. If so, what are the opening hours like?

I'm sure early aftern go there, all the shops are open...

afbug: Hahah! Yah, if I am really desperate, I will either go for PCK yellow boots or the Wellington ones. :p $101.58 is for the Goretex boots? Yeah, I would think the US 6 or 7 Mens would be slightly bigger than US 6 or & Women.

rOnGrEn: Thanks so much for the links! Don't know whether I have time to break-in the pair of shoes as I might have to use them in the first week of Aug. :embrass: Peninsula Plaza? Never thought of that place. Will check it out when I have the time! Thanks for the tips! :)

MooneyedWileECoyote: That's what I love about Goretex. Worldwide & life-time warranty! :thumbsup: :)

wrx_sti_22b: Oh, the sizing is different? Ok, I guess I have to check out Army Market this Sunday to find out my size. Do they sell the Goretex boots at Army Market?

megaweb: I am a US size 6 or 7, depends on the cutting. Was thinking of heading down to the Army Market to try and confirm my size. :)

rOnGrEn: So the goretex is only applied to the upper part of the boots (above ankle)? But you mentioned that the bottom part is leather & you've tried it in wet conditions? Does the water seep into the boots? That is my main concern as I don't like the feeling of walking about with water in my boots. ;p

Galdor: 11am onwards? Cool... Unfortunately, I will probably only head down on Sunday.

dEthANGeL: I heard that someone bought a pair of Timberland boots and totally destroyed it after one outing. :sweat:

melvin: Really? I have visions of Chatuchak weekend market in BKK now. :angel:

ortega: Does water seep into the Goretex boots?

Change of plan, can only go down on Sunday as I have some last minute things to do on Sat. Maybe, you want to check out Timberland. Saw that there's a sale of up to 50% when I walked past it at Raffles City yesterday.

the Goretex boots does not need to season,
can wear them comfortably even if they are brand new from the box

more comfortable than my seasoned leather boots
that is why i threw them away

Crap thing about the Goretex boots is once the water gets in, it won't come out, then ur feet will be swimming... Had really really bad foot rot back in army. :( :(

ortega: Sweet.. I might get myself a pair this weekend. *crosses fingers*

Denosha: Omigoodness! Serious? Guess Goretex prevents the water from leaving the boots as well! :p

Galdor: I am not too inclined for a pair of Timberland as I heard that someone totally destroyed her pair of Timberlands after one such outing. :sweat:

I am not too inclined for a pair of Timberland as I heard that someone totally destroyed her pair of Timberlands after one such outing. :sweat:

i got one pair of timberland goretex boots, and i can tell you that the soles are damn slippery on wet floors..i almost slipped when i stepped into a shopping mall on a wet day. for the rest of the time, i was practically sliding on the floor from one place to another

night86mare: Haha! Seriously, I have heard so much about the place but I have never been there before. Oh wait.. Come to think of it, I think I followed my brother down once but that was eons ago (6-7 years?). I don't remember much about the place. I am actually looking for a pair of boots that can withstand mud/sludge/rain/drainwater. :)

hmm.. actually you have to see how deep the mud you are stepping into.. if you need it for something that is for real wet-water use, i.e. on reefwalks etc, some simple booties would be much better.

goretex will keep water out when brand new, but when slightly worn out, water still seeps through the membrane, and eventually your feet will become a soggy mess. the army boots, the older version of goretex with the canvas material around the sides of the ankles and up is very comfortable when seasoned, but a bit.. er.. army like lah..

i have a pair of timberlands as well.. worked well for me in inclement weather, used them in snow as well it was pretty fine cuz they were sorta like hiking boots.. just a little heavy though..not too sure about the local version though.. my sis bought some timber booties for $200+ locally which i felt was over price.. i bought mine for usd $45 overseas. hlyf has the same pair, but female version and it was pretty decent for her recent hike in mt kinabalu

hated driving with them cuz whenever i put my foot on the accelerator i might tend to floor it :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.