Are Teachers or Lecturers forced to write only nice things?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What ever happened to the cain and humiliation I knew only too well when I was at school ?

Yes... give them a good flogging.

Break some fingers like our headmaster did ... (he was later moved)

Get them to grow up like real men .... even if half of them are female :bsmilie:

Or

Just be honest and say the truth.

Teach how to deal with the truth.

:)

The classic one: Always made to stand outside the class - outstanding student. :bsmilie:

Tat I recall fondly... I was often outside during chinese lessons... :bsmilie:

Or worse, STOMP. :p

(Really, got parents threaten teachers like that nowsaday. No joke.)

Kena sue also got...

plenty seen before liao...

teachers today got so much restriction. cannot hit kids. only principal can hit/ spank, even so, must be in front of whole school. cannot do in private.

cannot throw things. cannot this... cannot that..

my gf's a teacher. worst, some parents of these kids are lecturers , teachers themselves or some big shot who works in MOE itself or somwhere top , and expect you to be perfect.

imagine this : one little small bruise, you must call the parents immediately to inform what happened . lolz

thats what teachers must do today

teachers today got so much restriction. cannot hit kids. only principal can hit/ spank, even so, must be in front of whole school. cannot do in private.

I think you got this part the other way around. Can only do in private, not in front of whole school. Because public caning is tentamount to "humiliating" the student, which could leave psychological scars. Nowsaday, kids very fragile, you know?

At least this is the case for prambry schools lah. Sec sch may be different. And summore, cane already, must write report to parents.

But you are so right about calling up the parents to report about bruise. Don't call, teacher can get into trouble.

cannot throw things. cannot this... cannot that..

my gf's a teacher. worst, some parents of these kids are lecturers , teachers themselves or some big shot who works in MOE itself or somwhere top , and expect you to be perfect.

imagine this : one little small bruise, you must call the parents immediately to inform what happened . lolz

thats what teachers must do today
sounds like 'White horse' of educational system..:bsmilie:

sounds like 'White horse' of educational system..:bsmilie:

Not really.

"White horse" implies special considerations that are applied to an elite few. This is not the case for the highlighted examples within a school context. It is applied uniformly across the school population.

Untrue, I know of negative reports.

About students in their reports?

Was discussing something recently, and a professional educator mentioned nowadays, teachers are strictly forbidden to write anything negative about a student, regardless of how true it is.

Instead, they have to phrase things in a 'nice-nice' sounding, generic manner.

Is it true?

Sue on a bad report? On what legal grounds?

Kena sue also got...

plenty seen before liao...

Untrue, I know of negative reports.

MOE lays down a lot of guidelines, many of which are subject to intepretation by the schools. The bosses of the schools have a lot of autonomy in school policies and how the school is run.

Many schools I know of, negative comments in report books are a strict no-no.

Just to add on - there's a difference in a negative report presented in a harsh and rude way, and a negative report presented in a diplomatic (but not ridiculous like those examples above) way.

Perhaps you mean negative/harsh/rude reports - yes I believe in any corporate or government setup, such are no-nos.

MOE lays down a lot of guidelines, many of which are subject to intepretation by the schools. The bosses of the schools have a lot of autonomy in school policies and how the school is run.

Many schools I know of, negative comments in report books are a strict no-no.

My 2 cents..

Feedback is just feedback. That in itself is just information. Whether it's negative or positive really depends on the intention of the person giving the feedback, and how the person on the receiving end is interpreting it.

If the teacher was writing the report with the intent of demeaning the student, no matter how nice the words sound, it'll still be demeaning.

If the parent of the student is reading a report with the internal conversation of "My child is as perfect as a circle, there's no wrong he/she can do", wouldn't you say that no matter how constructive the feedback is, it's still going to come out negative in the parent's eyes? :dunno:

Sue on a bad report? On what legal grounds?

Sue for other issues...

won't reveal too much, but such threats are pretty common these days

Just to add on - there's a difference in a negative report presented in a harsh and rude way, and a negative report presented in a diplomatic (but not ridiculous like those examples above) way.

Perhaps you mean negative/harsh/rude reports - yes I believe in any corporate or government setup, such are no-nos.

No, I do not mean harsh/rude reports.

"Jason needs to pay more attention in class" is enough to earn a red flag. And if you so happen to write that "Johnny hands in untidy work and needs to improve on his attitude", then you'll have to prepare yourself for a conference with the principal.

Also,

when it comes to corporal punishment, it's not about bashing the kid up anymore. Literally just tapping the kid on the back could be reported as a smack and that's enough to threaten a teacher's ricebowl.

Lol, well I doubt there's any cause of action - since you can't elaborate, I guess we will then have to give your suggestion the appropriate weight.

Sue for other issues...

won't reveal too much, but such threats are pretty common these days

Well, let me tell you right from the grapevine from people teaching that such comments depend on the principal. I personalyl spoke to one teacher who said those comments are okay in her school.

She even put in things like "XYZ cannot be relied upon to meet schedules and deadlines and needs constant reminders" which appear in report books.

Hence it is subject to the discretion of each principal. A sweeping statement that negative reports are banned outright for all schools is inaccurate.

No, I do not mean harsh/rude reports.

"Jason needs to pay more attention in class" is enough to earn a red flag. And if you so happen to write that "Johnny hands in untidy work and needs to improve on his attitude", then you'll have to prepare yourself for a conference with the principal.

Also,

when it comes to corporal punishment, it's not about bashing the kid up anymore. Literally just tapping the kid on the back could be reported as a smack and that's enough to threaten a teacher's ricebowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.