Apple iBooks and Powerbooks

Which Apple notebook are you using?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
serene said:
Hi Vivien,

Thanks for your inputs.
I am using 2wire broadband modem. Do you have any recommendations for a resonably priced Mac compatible modem?
What about the use of Outlook, etc, hv you encountered any problems.

Coz, I am weighing between a Thinkpad T42 and a G5 and the latter is also cheaper for me.

Any feedback on compatibility issues is appreciated. Coz my office uses Windows and I bring my work home sometimes.

Thanks again
Serene

There are 2 Ethernet modems which are compatible with SNBB : Aztech 305E & Alcatel Home. I'm using Aztech 900E...bought it 2nd hand at $50.

As for emails, Mac has their own inbuilt mail client, unlike a PC which uses Outlook. I've been bringing my office work back too for use on Mac, so far no problems.

vivientan said:
There are 2 Ethernet modems which are compatible with SNBB : Aztech 305E & Alcatel Home. I'm using Aztech 900E...bought it 2nd hand at $50.

As for emails, Mac has their own inbuilt mail client, unlike a PC which uses Outlook. I've been bringing my office work back too for use on Mac, so far no problems.

Thanks Vivien for the helpful info :)

ha ha seems like there's a lot of mac switchers/tryers here in CS...

frankly, the 12" screen is bloody small! a 14" and above is much better for image editing...getting a 15" PB and a 14" iBook is the BEST!...Mac is all abt what the devil that little machine can do for you...

as for me...got one iMac and one iBook for 3 yrs now...soon...very soon...i'll have new macs...he he :D

Just got myself an ibook 14"! The wireless thingy is damn good.. been stealing the network around my neighbourhood to connect to the internet. :)

BTW, I'm thinking of upgrading my RAM. Any lobang for cheap RAM?

Damn expensive to own PC and Mac. Will need 2 different versions for Windows and Mac. Looking forward to use PSCS. Is there currently any offer for Canon DSLR users to purchase PSCS? Or any cheap student edition?

weekh said:
Just got myself an ibook 14"! The wireless thingy is damn good.. been stealing the network around my neighbourhood to connect to the internet. :)

HAHAHAHA, abt the free wireless.

As for RAM, I'm also thinking of getting 1 piece of 1GB. Heard Sim Lim sells cheaper, any idea which shop and at what prices for the RAM?

I am running PSCS with 512MB on PB 15' and it's slow using the Adobe Raw Converter.

mr_jason said:
HAHAHAHA, abt the free wireless.

As for RAM, I'm also thinking of getting 1 piece of 1GB. Heard Sim Lim sells cheaper, any idea which shop and at what prices for the RAM?

I am running PSCS with 512MB on PB 15' and it's slow using the Adobe Raw Converter.

$600-700

and yes, it cost 4 times more than 512MB

I was using the browser that comes with the system.
Unable to emtpy mails from my junk folder in Hotmail.
Anyone of u got this problem?

weekh said:

Damn expensive to own PC and Mac. Will need 2 different versions for Windows and Mac. Looking forward to use PSCS. Is there currently any offer for Canon DSLR users to purchase PSCS? Or any cheap student edition?

PSCS premium student edition ard $600, org will cost $2.2k ... :(

weekh said:
I was using the browser that comes with the system.
Unable to emtpy mails from my junk folder in Hotmail.
Anyone of u got this problem?

Micro$oft, for some reason, changed Hotmail's link handling so that it was done entirely through JavaScript. In lamens terms, this stopped everyone (any browser) opening new windows or tabs for their mails, new mails, etc.

go install firefox and download this extension

http://extensions.cusser.net/hotmailtabs/hotmailtabs.xpi

Realised that the iPhoto and iDVD are really good programs. But my iBook does not have the superdrive, so cannot burn DVD.
Is there anyway that i can burn the iDVD projects into a CD? And if I need really need to burn into a DVD how do I go about doing it?

I guess I should have bought one with the superdrive!!!

And where can i find cheap RAM upgrade? Apple Centre charges me $229 for 512 MB. I when to Sim Lim #02-01 but the shop is a coffeshop.... Asked around some PC shops and they don't know about upgrading RAM for the ibook.

weekh said:
Realised that the iPhoto and iDVD are really good programs. But my iBook does not have the superdrive, so cannot burn DVD.
Is there anyway that i can burn the iDVD projects into a CD? And if I need really need to burn into a DVD how do I go about doing it?

I guess I should have bought one with the superdrive!!!

And where can i find cheap RAM upgrade? Apple Centre charges me $229 for 512 MB. I when to Sim Lim #02-01 but the shop is a coffeshop.... Asked around some PC shops and they don't know about upgrading RAM for the ibook.
If you are looking for SGL - the shop recommended by many for Apple stuff, I believe it's #02-22. 512MB should be slightly under $200.

Regards
CK

just upgraded my ram from SGL for $190.
seems that there's no way to burn VCD using iDVD....

i upgraded my ram 2 weeks ago there $180 nia leh..

i think u need the Toast software to burn VCD..
or go to applications/ultilities/disk ulitility and try to burn..

kex said:
i upgraded my ram 2 weeks ago there $180 nia leh..

i think u need the Toast software to burn VCD..
or go to applications/ultilities/disk ulitility and try to burn..

But can u create slide presenation using iDVD and then burn it into VCD?

There're hack available that you can install so that you can use external DVD burner in the iDVD.

Now, PT a bit, anyone interested in a fully maxed out 15.2" PB G4? with warranty ;)

Got PowerBook 15" 667MHz =) looks like it has gone to war... lots of scars (plastic apple logo came out.) but still alive... :heart: 768 Mb of ram... =)

15" alu pb with 768mb ram. hmm, thought of selling the 256mb and buying a 512mb.... advisable?

ajR said:
15" alu pb with 768mb ram. hmm, thought of selling the 256mb and buying a 512mb.... advisable?

get as much RAM as you can afford, Photoshop and Mac OS X loves RAM and will use it well... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.