Apache Helicopters Return..

Status
Not open for further replies.
vince123123 said:
The bunker hiding may be an exception. I was talking more about those which are not exactly hiding. I'd think its more efficient to send in recon planes, then the bombers. Rather than infantry on foot and then when they start dying, then the bombers.

Even if you must recon on foot, a small force of scouts to recon and laser targets is much better than sending in a whole division, all die, then you bomb.

That would work if the enemy was dumb, or if you're playing against C&C AI.. hehheh. Let's say i'm the aggressor and you are the defender. Now obviously since i attacked you, i would have done my homework on your military strength. i find out you're big on air power & scouts. And i may have information on your preferred fighting strategy.

So i counter by reinforcing my ground troops with anti-air units, and string up additional scouts in front of my own main forces to deny you information. I have not even factor in my own air force and what tactics to employ. Try a same tactic too many times and it will show, maybe i'll discover you're afraid to send out whole divisions and i decide to spring ambushes on you, maybe shoot down a few of your valuable airplanes in the process.

On an even-sided battlefield, i figure it's quite rare to employ only 1 doctrine. Enemy springs a surprise on you, you got to adapt and spring one back on him.

freeworld said:
Can we see them in coming Aerospace ?? :D

i think so..

they are flown back to be on displayed... not sure if they will fly for show or not..:think:

Yeap, probably not on "one" doctrine. But anyway during the movies that I'm referring to, its the attacker who should be using air bombardments, not the defender. Also, you're deducing that only one side has information on the other.

foxtwo said:
That would work if the enemy was dumb, or if you're playing against C&C AI.. hehheh. Let's say i'm the aggressor and you are the defender. Now obviously since i attacked you, i would have done my homework on your military strength. i find out you're big on air power & scouts. And i may have information on your preferred fighting strategy.

So i counter by reinforcing my ground troops with anti-air units, and string up additional scouts in front of my own main forces to deny you information. I have not even factor in my own air force and what tactics to employ. Try a same tactic too many times and it will show, maybe i'll discover you're afraid to send out whole divisions and i decide to spring ambushes on you, maybe shoot down a few of your valuable airplanes in the process.

On an even-sided battlefield, i figure it's quite rare to employ only 1 doctrine. Enemy springs a surprise on you, you got to adapt and spring one back on him.

vince123123 said:
Yeap, probably not on "one" doctrine. But anyway during the movies that I'm referring to, its the attacker who should be using air bombardments, not the defender.

Saying i'm the aggressor and you're the defender is just like saying i am country A you are country B. eg. i'm the one who initiated the war, but doesn't mean you only defend. Feel free to launch counterattacks, overwhelm me, and claim my soil. :)

vince123123 said:
Also, you're deducing that only one side has information on the other.

no. My example is that i listed a tactic to counter 1 of yours, not to win the war. And i went on to say that the battlefield is fluid. You have information on me, you change your tactics. I react and change my own tactics. We go through the little dance of react & change till one of us has nothing left.

vince123123 said:
I was always wondering why in war movies, they always send in the ground troopers FIRST! And only when the ground troopers meet resistance then they send in the air support. Maybe it makes for better movie watching, but I find it quite silly as a strategy.

See shows like Starship troopers (this is the classic) and We were soldiers

For Starship Troopers... go read the book for the whys... the movie was horrible compared to the book. There is some rational for the troops. But in the book they were not just some soldiers.... they wore powered armour suits with jump jets... each equiped with a tactical nuclear weapon. Guess the effects were too expensive to do on the movie. Crappy movie... great book.

We Were Soldiers - Depicting the Vietnam war experience and the first use of the air calvary - Helicopters. In Vietnam, they tried to gain ground and the only way to do so was to send it the troops. They could have bombed everything away and you'd be left with a wasteland. Besides the Vietcongs were dug in. No amount of bombardment is able to destroy them. Intelligence was often poor. So the troops may be sent in expecting little resistance but then be surprised by a battalioin of Vietcongs overnight. In the movie, they did this using night movement to deploy the Vietcongs. Basically, they were surrounded. The air calvary usually dropped them deep into enemy territory.

Yes, special forces and long range recon were often sent into these areas to scout the report the enemy positions.... but you gotta remember its a big jungle.....;)

icarus said:
Fierce!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

But they seem not to be as effective in reality as they're sales brochures might suggest. The US military had heaps of difficulties deploying them in the Balkans and even in Iraq, they hadn't done that well if I read correctly.

There's a famous propaganda photo of a shrivelled old Iraqi farmer with a Lee Enfield (or a similar old rifle) standing next to one that the Iraqis claimed he downed.

jsbn said:
Nice.

Juz 1 Apache can wreck havoc on a single infantry battalion. Makes me wonder why the hell shld we need us ground troopers. :dunno:

Send in the birdies and arty to flatten everything the enemy has. Who needs ground troopers?

Sorry, to dampen some of the excitement..... Recall that USAF lost one of this Apache during the recent war with Iraq to shots fire from a rifle used by a FARMER. The chopper crash and its pilot captured:think:

Zplus said:
We Were Soldiers - Depicting the Vietnam war experience and the first use of the air calvary - Helicopters. In Vietnam, they tried to gain ground and the only way to do so was to send it the troops. They could have bombed everything away and you'd be left with a wasteland. Besides the Vietcongs were dug in. No amount of bombardment is able to destroy them. Intelligence was often poor. So the troops may be sent in expecting little resistance but then be surprised by a battalioin of Vietcongs overnight. In the movie, they did this using night movement to deploy the Vietcongs. Basically, they were surrounded. The air calvary usually dropped them deep into enemy territory.
They dun have Fuel Air Bombs during Nam right? :think:

NE clicks clicks said:
Sorry, to dampen some of the excitement..... Recall that USAF lost one of this Apache during the recent war with Iraq to shots fire from a rifle used by a FARMER. The chopper crash and its pilot captured:think:
Assuming if that is NOT war propaganda.

Remember, we are photographers ourselves too and we know how photos can really lie thru their teeth at times. ;)

If not wrong, they used to have problems with desert environment, imagine how all those flying sand will wreck havoc on all hardware..

But reckon we don't have these to worry about? Could just picture them flying low among our HDB blks, popping in & out...kekeke

jsbn said:
Assuming if that is NOT war propaganda.

Remember, we are photographers ourselves too and we know how photos can really lie thru their teeth at times. ;)

That Apache came down largely intact. It wasn't a doctored picture. Even the Americans admitted that chopper DID go down, though they claimed that it wasn't shot down but it was some mechanical issue. Hmm, maybe the farmer took a pot shot at the rotor assembly and damaged something serious enough? :bsmilie: Lee Enfield's fire big bullets.

During the Amazing Race series (the one before the last family edition), one of the contestants was a former Gulf War II Apache pilot whose Apache was downed. He was part of the couple where the girl is a former beauty queen?

firestone said:
If not wrong, they used to have problems with desert environment, imagine how all those flying sand will wreck havoc on all hardware..

But reckon we don't have these to worry about? Could just picture them flying low among our HDB blks, popping in & out...kekeke

That's probably the worst tactic. Someone pop out a window with a RPG and you are dead... read Blackhawk Down... helis have limited capabilities. Apaches are tank killers and basically they hide safe behind cover, pop up, shoot and scoot.;)

jsbn said:
They dun have Fuel Air Bombs during Nam right? :think:

They had Napalm... I read somewhere they experimened the Fuel Air Bombs in Nam. Also experimented the Firebee drone and agent orange.

Notice they like to try out new weapons systems in every conflict... and then you have compat proven stampped when its sold....

Zplus said:
That's probably the worst tactic. Someone pop out a window with a RPG and you are dead... read Blackhawk Down... helis have limited capabilities. Apaches are tank killers and basically they hide save behind cover, pop up, shoot and scoot.;)
So whoever's thinking of invading Singapore has to flatten the entire country with a blow if not they would face the awful task of urban combat. :bsmilie:

Zplus said:
They had Napalm... I read somewhere they experimened the Fuel Air Bombs in Nam. Also experimented the Firebee drone and agent orange.

Notice they like to try out new weapons systems in every conflict... and then you have compat proven stampped when its sold....

Just before he stepped down as President, Eisenhower did warn that the American military-weapons industry are some of the most dangerous groups of people in the world. :)

They are very much sales focused. And to sell more, you have to use more, to use more, you have to have more wars........The bigger the war, the bigger the profits.

Zplus said:

Let's see....

WWII - Atomic Bombs, Incendiary Bombs
Nam - Napalm, Firebee drone, Agent Orange
Korea War - ???
Afghan-US War - Predator drones

Wad's next? Thermonuclear ICBMs or laser guns?

jsbn said:
My strategy for C&C Generals - Flatten the entire place with heavy arty, mechanized mobile divisions and air power.

Den I send in 2 sections of soldiers to capture the place one by one.

Well, dats me. :D

hahahaha! C&C Generals tactics! :bsmilie: :thumbsup:

my tactics usually is to build an infantry barracks ASAP and send a few troopers on kamikaze mission...either to quickly seize unprotected enemy bases or stay hidden as long as they can to act as scouts :bsmilie:

otherwise, usually it's blitzreig tactics. clear with air power, pierce with armour and troopers swarm all over. mmm, and the occasional Lotus or that Colonel guy here and there haha

Zplus said:
That's probably the worst tactic. Someone pop out a window with a RPG and you are dead... read Blackhawk Down... helis have limited capabilities. Apaches are tank killers and basically they hide safe behind cover, pop up, shoot and scoot.;)

Aiyah, of course assuming Blks are still friendly lah. U oso said behind cover, pop up, shoot and scoot mah.

Status
Not open for further replies.