Apache helicopter crash landed in Woodlands

Sources indicated a dual failure of the General Electric T700-701C engines thus requiring the pilot of the AH-64D Apache to conduct an immediate emergency landing through a technique known as autorotation.

[vid]E2a9H8Xw8Mo[/vid]
YouTube Video ID No. E2A9H8XW8MO

The high AoA (Angle of Attack) while flaring for the emergency landing could be what broke the tail boom off.

Last edited:
Sources indicated a dual failure of the General Electric T700-701C engines thus requiring the pilot of the AH-64D Apache to conduct an immediate emergency landing through a technique known as autorotation.

[vid]E2a9H8Xw8Mo[/vid]
YouTube Video ID No. E2A9H8XW8MO

The high AoA (Angle of Attack) while flaring for the emergency landing could be what broke the tail boom off.
[vid]DozMhsXymUQ[/vid]
YouTube Video ID No. DOZMHSXYMUQ

Yeah, can't be tail rotor fell off in mid air, that won't be emergency landing but a full blown crash already. I think the pilot did a good job though, all things considered.

Yeah, can't be tail rotor fell off in mid air, that won't be emergency landing but a full blown crash already. I think the pilot did a good job though, all things considered.

As 9v-orion mentioned, helis don't fall off the sky like planes because of auto-rotation.

As 9v-orion mentioned, helis don't fall off the sky like planes because of auto-rotation.
Even if an aircraft was to loose all engines in flight, they could still glide to the nearest aerodrome for an emergency landing provided that the aircraft has already climbed to a significant altitude. ;)

The case study of Gimli Glider is an excellent and fascinating example of such a scenario.

Last edited:
Even if an aircraft was to loose all engines in flight, they could still glide to the nearest aerodrome for an emergency landing provided that the aircraft has already climbed to a significant altitude. ;)

The case study of Gimli Glider is an excellent and fascinating example of such a scenario.

Not all planes can glide so well. The chinese designs which are like darts have VERY bad gliding properties and they normally crash terribly after engine failures unlike the other planes which havea better designed wing for lift.

Lucky not in Orchard Road. Hard to find landing field.

Good pilots to have brought it down without injuring themselves or any public.

Helicopters are inherently unstable. Without rear rotor almost uncontrollable.

Luckily no fatal casualty , pilot steady enough to find a nice landing spot.

kekeke but caused a car accident and traffic jam due to kaypoh drivers .

SAF heli Insurance premium is going up....just like our cars' :bsmilie:

cks2k2 said:
Not neccessarily. If it was an engine failure, yes the helo would still have the option of auto-rotation to land safely but if the tail rotor were to fall off in mid air, that is a completely different scenario. The loss of anti-torque from the tail rotor in mid air will be catastrophic compared to this.

The function of the tail rotor is to compensate for the counter torque. The main rotor spinning counter clockwise will induce a clockwise reaction force. Without tail rotor, there's no control and no auto rotation.
Helicopter cannot glide and most do not have chute to eject so autorotation is the only way to salvage a power lose

Apparently, it was heard on radio that the incident occured in mid air as the tail section fell off and they had to crash land the chopper.

How does a tail section "fall off" ??

:dunno:

structural fatigue? just like the F15 Eagle?

structural fatigue? just like the F15 Eagle?

Definately not. During the last minute of the auto rotation, pilot need to pull the collective level to increas angle of attack for the rotor blades and cyclic level to flare the heli(like in a normal landing nose up).

When not done properly, the tail boom will hit the ground first and hence will break off.

if the pilot has done a really good job the helicopter tail wouldn't have break off..

He may have steered the bird to some safe ground but didn't managed to land properly.. there goes 20mil.. USD..

SOP - An Inquiry will definitely be called for with an emergency committe setup to get to bottom of this incident.

Question: 1) Why the helicopter fail?
2) Is there a remote chance of it happening again? At any time, was the safety of the pilot and public being taken into consideration or worse compromised? Whats the history of helicopter failure in Singapore per se, Statistics???

if the pilot has done a really good job the helicopter tail wouldn't have break off..

He may have steered the bird to some safe ground but didn't managed to land properly.. there goes 20mil.. USD..

Things could have been worst. Like catching fire upon crash landing or crashing into other objects on the ground like trees, vehicles or other objects. Or, crashing into water and struggle to get out, etc.

At least, the 2 pilots are not injured. And the bird could be canabalised for some useful parts.

Maybe SAF should consider buying extended warranty :D (always can be handy).

There is not point buying insurance for a fleet owner. Unless it is for statutory requirement to cover third party insurance.

For example, if you have a fleet of 100 vehicles. Annual premium is $1000 per vehicle. That works out to be 100k per annum. 100k enough to pay for one vehicle liao. Got the logic?

..... I think the pilot did a good job though, all things considered.

..... Good pilots to have brought it down without injuring themselves or any public. ....

Luckily no fatal casualty , pilot steady enough to find a nice landing spot.

this is MORE realistic than any National Day kelong fly-past with giant National Flag.... I'm very proud that our pilots handled the crash without casualty ..........

---------------------------

You win liao lor like that.............. if I get into a car accident (touch wood) next time I better make sure I am good enough that my car's bumper stays on and that my car is properly parallel parked after impact ha ha ha :bsmilie:

Last edited:
There's a saying any landing u can get away with is a good landing.

Lets remember, the most valuable assets here are the pilots not the equipment.