Anyone still using 35mm film?

Status
Not open for further replies.

edfck

Jul 14, 2005
Singapore
R there anyone still using 35mm film? :think:

i still do...because i'm a stupid luddite...

I still use film, 90% of the time.

It is a lot cheaper to use film than digital.

Digital is only when I am not "serious" about what I am taking.

student said:
I still use film, 90% of the time.

It is a lot cheaper to use film than digital.

Digital is only when I am not "serious" about what I am taking.

eh? what if you use slides? and film is only cheaper in the short-run. not long-run...no?

failling in...

i think the question should perharps be.. who knows how to use 35mm film instead?...

DT_ said:
failling in...

i think the question should perharps be.. who knows how to use 35mm film instead?...

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

gee... u mean i dun need to cut it up to little squares to put into dat thingy marked 'CF door'? :what:

doug3fflux said:
eh? what if you use slides? and film is only cheaper in the short-run. not long-run...no?

1 I rarely use slides.

2 I use black & white films. I develop and print the images myself. So that saves a lot of labout costs

3 While digital allows me to take an almost infinite number of exposures, I do have to pay a certain "price"

What is this price?

The price of guaranteed obsolescence. Some of my film cameras are older than some CSers.

The price of unending hardware and software upgrade. It is a matter of time. One may be able to make great images with a Canon D30. But let a professional try to use this camera for his next wedding assignment, and see what happen? How old is the Canon D30? How about printers? The software I need for my B&W is in my head. MY B&W hardware will outlast me by a long margin.

The price of images becoming unusable years down the road, unless one engages in an unending changing of storage media. Any B&W negative made 20 years ago is immediately usable.

And more importantly.

The price of mental "slipshodness". Yes, it is not the problem of the equipment. Yes one can be very disciplined with a digital camera, etc. But the reality is that if one look at experiences of the average Joe, the fact that one can take and erase without any price, almost invariably results in a different way of making images.

And that, to me, is a very big price to pay!

student said:
1 I rarely use slides.

2 I use black & white films. I develop and print the images myself. So that saves a lot of labout costs

3 While digital allows me to take an almost infinite number of exposures, I do have to pay a certain "price"

What is this price?

The price of guaranteed obsolescence. Some of my film cameras are older than some CSers.

The price of unending hardware and software upgrade. It is a matter of time. One may be able to make great images with a Canon D30. But let a professional try to use this camera for his next wedding assignment, and see what happen? How old is the Canon D30? How about printers? The software I need for my B&W is in my head. MY B&W hardware will outlast me by a long margin.

The price of images becoming unusable years down the road, unless one engages in an unending changing of storage media. Any B&W negative made 20 years ago is immediately usable.

And more importantly.

The price of mental "slipshodness". Yes, it is not the problem of the equipment. Yes one can be very disciplined with a digital camera, etc. But the reality is that if one look at experiences of the average Joe, the fact that one can take and erase without any price, almost invariably results in a different way of making images.

yummy. we have a well-informed, knowledgeable and dedicated film-user. student! kudos to you.

Douglas

ok, let me re phase my question, does anyone still uses color 35mm film?

yep me. i do.

it's hard to describe in a single sitting what i really love about it...

anyway just took ma spotmatic F out to the field... it still works! and film made the memories even better i felt... there's always a difference, always... film for me is more deliberate... digital i think abt the shot but the shot seems less special...

i love film for a whole lot of technical reasons too.. but hey that i feel is the added bounses of using film.

student said:
1 I rarely use slides.

What is this price?

And more importantly.

:cheers: to you and long live the analogue way.

I enjoyed listening to your thoughts earlier yesterday evening at Prime Camera. A lot of stuff you wrote here do make sense too.

student said:
1 I rarely use slides.

What is this price?

And more importantly.

Very well said, you speak my mind too.

Sometimes i think its pretty hard to find teenagers who uses film cameras. Most of these days, i only see teenagers like me holds a big and expensive DSLR.

I just feel i am little out of this digital trend. but who cares? Film makes me happy. :D

kiumjoon said:
Very well said, you speak my mind too.

Sometimes i think its pretty hard to find teenagers who uses film cameras. Most of these days, i only see teenagers like me holds a big and expensive DSLR.

I just feel i am little out of this digital trend. but who cares? Film makes me happy. :D

double ditto!! :)

i still use film most of the time, even though digital is more convenient and provides instantaneous feedback.
i like the feeling of anticipation; the feeling of processing your own b/w negatives in the darkroom or waiting for the photo lab to process your colour negative.
film makes you think twice before pressing the shutter and i treat every frame as my last frame before getting the shot.
it's not worth clicking so many times and at the end of the day, only that one shot will be useful to you. why not think more, think of ways you can improve the shot before executing it?

i use digital too, mainly for experiments and occasions when i'm not sure if i will get the shot right. it's much cheaper for me. :)

I still use negative film. I have a digicam but I let my 2 1/2 year old daughter play with it. My analogue cams on the other hand are well protected from her curious hands.

I agree with Student's view regarding obsolescence. It's the main reason I have stayed away from expensive digital equipment. I believe it's for people who are able to recover their investment with it (proferssionals).

It's ironic that digital actually hightened my appreciation for realiable manual cameras that can last for decades.

Note: I'm not a collector. I use my cameras.

I still use film as my main source. Was using digital back then. But the lure or "creating" your own picture still drives me to use film. i like the moments of creating rather than post processing. The thrill of taking, developing and printing is jus too much to describe in words. You have to experience it to enjoy it.

Also the limited number of exposures like having a 32Mb card each time u shoot. Really have to think well before shooting. Not shoot a lot and select a nice one. Also the ISO for 1 roll is fixed, so when u are in very low light conditions, you have to use the breathing technique and look for a place to hold the cam steady and so on... Film just sets u thinking. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.