anyone can buy a DSLR and be a wedding photographer these days

nice snapshots.
what iphone app did u use?

Another jealous one, I see your website, not bad, better than the lifestyle1881 one but you should concentrate on your work instead of feeling jealous of other people talent.

This is a portfolio gallery (sub-section) so let nothing detract us from the fact.

TS, let your images do the talking and hopefully you can show us more interesting works that will inspire creativity.

I have no beef with the title of your thread, because it is a fact. I agree with what you say that by picking up a DSLR (in fact, you can even make do with any compacts or even an iPhone) you can become a Wedding Photographer. That is the starting point.

However, if what you titled is a sign of your mentality/thinking about the industry, I have a piece of advice for you.

If you hope/wish to be a truly accomplished Wedding Photographer in the future, do have some pride and respect in the art you are trying to craft.
To be a good wedding photographer, nothing is as simple as point and shoot. There are so many things to learn like, how to compose properly? How to pose properly? How to use natural light properly? How to use artificial light when no natural light is available? How to achieve proper skin tone? How to edit to make your images pop/standout? There's alot more and what I'd mentioned is merely the photography aspect of the business. And even for someone like me who's been in the industry for 3 years, I constantly feel I am only barely scrapping the surface of what I can/should achieve.

If you ever feel the need to, I am more than willing to share my experiences about the industry over a cuppa. drop me a pm anytime.

I see your work, very good work, can say on par with Derricksony's one. And you sounds like a very nice guy.

Hey derricksony, you got a lot to learn and to grow up with your generalisation of this meaningless title & your replies here... Start by searching various photography forum (incl here at CS) and read many books & magazines. After you read go and experiment, practice, practice & more practice with your gears and ask feedback questions in Newbies section of the forum. You will definitely improve tremendously i assure you.

You should have make you objective & intention clearly in your first post (instead of post#26).

I went to your website and must say very hard to navigate, your shots are so-so only and boring to me, not like Derricksony one so artistic. Maybe thats why you jealous and act so nasty towards people.

nice moment captured, but i'm not really a fan of the washed out look in the photo. would prefer more natural skin tones,
e.g.
5905001559_55af689bd0_o.jpg

I prefer Derricksony's original edit. But your one ok too.

Indeed no need to be so worked up people, be cool :) Wedding couples will continue to hire good wedding photogs and pay good money for it. This is not going to change anytime soon. People who care about photography (many do) would not be trusting any guy with a camera because there's much more to it than just owning a DSLR. I am sure its heavily argued topic since the advent of digital photography so its boring to repeat those arguments. But to show you all something interesting:

Interesting and speaking of iphones, there are already pros shooting whole wedding with iphone4 (but most probably as extra photog, not main photog):

link

And videography too!

link

Lots more if you google. Many pros pushing the limits of creativity, whether its iphone or ipad or off camera lighting with ipad and iphones. If you didn't see or not aware of, it doesn't mean they don't exist.

You show a lot of interesting links but sadly all not singapore one hahaha.

Who is comparing :confused:

Come to think of it, this TS is XXXX and waste so much of everyones time and bandwidth. Good luck to this TS and his future endevour :flush:

Hope we all can move on to something more interesting.

My advice to you is to improve your own standard rather than attack and flame other people.

Anyone can buy a DSLR and be a wedding photographer these days and thats a fact. Get better or retire.

I smell it too. The stench is overwhelming.

Anyhoo, Carlzsa850, err... derricksony, I just finished browsing through your flickr. You're on the artsy side of photography which I like. I think you have more winning shots than the dood who keeps on breathing down your neck on here. No need to prove anyone anything. Just do your sh*t and go. Do and go. Do and go.

You're HDRs and macros are nasty, though.

And yea, that fake lens flare on #so-so is just ghastly. Please don't do that again.

All in all, I'm kinda on your side. You're free to express your thoughts, and you're a good photographer, but weird.. But good.:confused:

Last edited:
Wow! Either someone called in Sony ' special service support' or called in a clone :D

Alamak, i still have the original high res copy la...what posted here is low res le. if not other people take my picture to post on their website how? http://www.flickr.com/photos/58454528@N02/

I saw the other "pro" photographer trying to take a tighter shot hence, i wanna cover from another angle ma, if i take similar shots, then waste my battery right?

You can take the photos from the same angle as well. Most of the time, the moment to capture is always within seconds. The main photographer might not be able capture it in time, but if you did, you saved the day. (Moments like, the bride is too happy until she teared, etc)

Being a professional (read career) wedding photographer is more than just camera and pictures. A lot of it is about the ability to run a business and sustain that business.

And also, as non-paid non-main photographers it is easy to do moments and capture different and weird angles. No pressure to deliver anything so can really experiment. For the main/paid photographers, they have to deliver the standard shots, like table shots, yum-seng shots, cut cake shots, tea ceremony shots, flower throwing, kiss shots, sign paper shot, etc. And although many wedding couples will go WOW at journalistic shots, when it comes down to their own photos with friends and relatives in them, most will ask (and some demand) things like "I want all their faces in the picture to be clear and in focus" or "How come so and so not in the picture(s)?". That is why at some weddings (with more budget), we have the main photographer and the 2nd photographer. One will do the standard shots, one will capture moments.

and TS, some of your shots have very interesting compositions. Not bad. But do understand that you are working from a different set of requirements from paid photographers. When you do your first paid wedding, you will understand.

Last edited:
nice angles, though the lens flare and washout feel dun work for me. in any case, to each his own. whether or not you plan to turn pro, you have only your clients/friends to impress. not yourself nor other photogs.. at least that's what i feel..

say, if you take a shot that you really like and you think it's the best shot in the world, you post it onto ebay to sell for $50 and you realise nobody has made a bid for it after 2 weeks, that ought to tell you something, aint it? with this, i'm not trying to say that your photos are bad or wad; i'm just passing a remark..

your thread may have attracted flak from the pros because they think that you undermine/ belittle their work, the industry and their very livelihood, and admittedly, your thread title and posts seems to imply that. don't give up shooting, and do use a more appropriate title in future and hope you didnt mind an inexperienced noob posting here =)

to the pro photogs here, you have some really nice shots here which probly explains why you are the pros, but i have seen some photos of my colleagues wedding dinner in the philippines and i must say they look different.. not sure why though..

What link to the brand? :dunno:

TS's display name has "sony"? he's using a Sony A850? pinholecam is anti-sony?

my guess is as good as your's..

TS, (name also has a ....sony..) suddenly no response
CZSa850 (so has a A850?? ) - 5 posts to his name; Come in machine gun everyone

... :think: very suspicious leh!

In fact if you look at the EXIF data, TS is also using A850 :D

I've got no issue with TS standing his ground and in fact I support him and his photos, but certainly don't need to be two faced like what is being done here.

Can the Moderators verify??

Last edited:
TS, (name also has a ....sony..) suddenly no response
CZSa850 (so has a A850?? ) - 5 posts to his name; Come in machine gun everyone

... :think: very suspicious leh!

In fact if you look at the EXIF data, TS is also using A850 :D

I've got no issue with TS standing his ground and in fact I support him and his photos, but certainly don't need to be two faced like what is being done here.

Can the Moderators verify??

u mean..
CarlZ = Carl Zeiss
S = Sony
A850 = A850?

LOL.. but so far nothing points to TS = CZ, though suspicious.. even then still no link to the brand leh.. this thread was not about brands anyway and the only one that came up was apple.. If i wanted to create a new nick, i would have use smth vasely different from my current nick.. =)

was reading halfway but just give up cuz way too long.

Anyway wat the title say is partially true. Yes anyone can buy a dslr and be a wedding photographer these days, BUT it takes someone with a eye for details to be a good one.

u mean..
CarlZ = Carl Zeiss
S = Sony
A850 = A850?

LOL.. but so far nothing points to TS = CZ, though suspicious.. even then still no link to the brand leh.. this thread was not about brands anyway and the only one that came up was apple.. If i wanted to create a new nick, i would have use smth vasely different from my current nick.. =)

Don't be so sensitive lah!
TS name has Sony, supporter also branded Sony.... incidentally TS also using same camera as supporter, so make a joke of it lor! :D

That is why its called "special service support" from Sony ;)

Don't be so sensitive lah!
TS name has Sony, supporter also branded Sony.... incidentally TS also using same camera as supporter, so make a joke of it lor! :D

That is why its called "special service support" from Sony ;)

Nah.. not being sensitive la.. =)

i just feel that over here in CS, brand is a touchy topic so would be better if we keep brands away.. know what i mean? hehe :p if not we need a brand-harmony day.. :bsmilie:

This thread is very entertaining. Kept me awake thoughout my boring work routine and monday blues :)

Seriously TS, i'm not siding anyone but i suggest you think more carefully about the title in your next thread.

Use a more explosive title next time,

Even my dog with a pinhole camera can be a wedding photographer.

Nobody can prove animals cannot evolve and start walking and talking.