Another newbie learning to take food photos

Cheese Fondue @ Swiss Culture @ #03-006 Suntec City Mall
This place is famous for its slightly sour, pungent, but ultimately rich and tasty cheese fondue ... the experience is a little of a normal distribution curve... not used to it at first, gets better as it grows on you, then a little gelat towards the end... but overall still really good !

love the cheese fondue there too...!

regards,
wacky

blueskye168 said:
Seems like you've improved quite fair bit:thumbsup:, but at the same time, you'd repeated some of your mistake:(...why leh bro...?!?!:bsmilie:

Well, not too bad overall...take your time to 'reach' there will do, unless you intend to be a phpgr within 'asap time-frame'...!!!:D

Thanks Bro, kept in mind what you mentioned..

can point out my mistake ? You mean the earlier postings ( chai tow kway at edge of table) is it ?

Err what's phpgr?

DSC08265.JPG

Fried Carrot Cake @ Lau Goh Teochew Chye Thow Kway @ Stall 26, Zion Road Food Centre

The master who fried this is deaf, but that doesn't stop him from taking your orders, and frying up an amazing plate of carrot cake ! well, it is a little 'thin', somewhat like a pancake, but with the fragrant fish sauce, generous chye poh, and well-fried eggs and carrot cake, this is certainly one of the best ard !

DSC09732a.JPG

Curry Chicken @ 29 Delights @ #01-29 Bendemeer Food Centre

This is my fav Curry Chicken of all time. Period. good balance btw coconut milk and curry spices, chicken super tender and falls off bone, potato chunks are pre-fried, so slight crispy on outside...everything is just perfect. All from a little-known stall.

DSC09320.JPG

Famous Sungei Road Trishaw Laksa @ blk 531A Hong Lim Market #02-67

This is quite a light, soupy laksa but still tastes good .. And for $4, the portion is really quite huge.. For $5.50, they will throw in a crayfish as well

DSC09287.JPG

Tau Kwa Pau (Fried Beancurd Bun) @ (Original) Tau Kwa Pau Duck Rice @ Hock Ann Eating House, 131, East Coast Rd

One very rare hawker food, this one is one of the two at the junction of Joo Chiat Road and East Coast Road. to be eaten with its tangy chill sauce and duck "lor" (gravy)..

(sorry abt the white balance... the entire tray was under those kinda yellow lamp that keeps the food warm... so did know how to set the WB... think I overdid the PP for white balance)

DSC05452.JPG

Char Kway Teow @ Lucky Fried Kway Teow #01-30 Old Airport Road Food Centre

although the Lao Fu Zhi CKT opposite is more famous, many have told me this is better... this was excellent. Slightly on the wet side, the black sauce, the kway teow n noodles, the lap cheong all came together in a way that can only be concocted by a master.. sinful and good !

PS. Cafe @ Harding Road

DSC09752.JPG

Beef & Mushroom Ragu Tortiglion

Menu reads "Pan Roast Beef, Shitake and Button Mushroom in Sugarsnaps, Cherry Tomatoes and Tortiglioni" .. it was a really hearty, tasty meal, with the ragu done really well.. and the relaxed, chill out atmosphere of the well-established PS Cafe set in the middle of the greenery of Dempsey Hill simply makes the meal more enjoyable !

DSC09748.JPG

BLT Sandwich

Crispy bacon, Roma tomato, romaine lettuce, smokey BBQ sauce on toast - fancy stuff an yes, comfort food.. Generous amt of fries too !

DSC09768.JPG

Double Chocolate Cake

The meal ended with an absolutely decadent and humongous slice of chocolate cake covered with chocolate sludge, and a big scoop of vanilla ice-cream..

DSC09287.JPG

Tau Kwa Pau (Fried Beancurd Bun) @ (Original) Tau Kwa Pau Duck Rice @ Hock Ann Eating House, 131, East Coast Rd

One very rare hawker food, this one is one of the two at the junction of Joo Chiat Road and East Coast Road. to be eaten with its tangy chill sauce and duck "lor" (gravy)..

(sorry abt the white balance... the entire tray was under those kinda yellow lamp that keeps the food warm... so did know how to set the WB... think I overdid the PP for white balance)

This 1 look special! Must be yummy!! Must go try it out liao haha

DSC00021.JPG

Kosong Prata on top of Egg Prata @ Casuarina Curry @ 126 Casuarina Road

Have always thought of this as the best and the recent visit confirms it. Crispy on the outside, soft inside with a buttery taste and scent.. No one does Prata like the Casuarina folks...

DSC06600.JPG

Satay Beehoon @ Sin Chew @ Bukit Timah Food Centre #02-162

This is my all-time favourite Satay Bee Hoon, simply for the fact that it was the first plate I have ever tried in my life, and after all these years, the sauce is still so hauntingly spicy and tasty and fragrant as before ! The only downside to this is that they dun have my fav pork liver, but the fact that they are still my favourite shows how good they are...

DSC09819.JPG

Bak Chor Mee @ High Street Tai Wah Pork Noodle (Bestway Building) @ 12 Prince Edward Road, #01-16 Bestway Building

opened by the brother of the more famous stall of the same name at Crawford Lane, this bak chor mee certainly lives up to its name... every ingredient were cooked to perfection, from the liver to the lean meat to the meatballs to the huge dumplings thrown in. The noodles also had a lot of 'body'...and soaked with fragrant vinegar.. it is certainly one of the best BCM I've ever tried ..

C & C welcome :)

DSC09886.JPG

Sashimi Moriwase @ Sushi Tei @ Serangoon Gardens

Red Prawn (seasonal item), Salmon, Nama Hotate (Scallops) and Mekajiki (Swordfish) .. all fresh and thick-sliced... to me, Sushi Tei has always been one of those restaurants is reliable and provides good quality stuff.. :)

DSC09979%2520%25282%2529.JPG

Swedish Meatballs@ IKEA Tampines

most Singaporean's first taste of Swedish meatballs is at Ikea, and I am no different. After so many years, it is still so good, and Ikea is still THE place to go for this..

DSC04580.JPG

BBQ Pork Ribs @ Han Sik Korean Restaurant @ #02-00 Heartland Mall, 205 Hougang Street 21 (Kovan)

a small-scale restaurant run by a Korean lady..not easy to find something like this in the HDB heartlands ...well, the BBQ pork ribs didn disappoint, was marinated well, tasted great, price reasonable also (ard $20 I think)..

metranquility said:
BBQ Pork Ribs @ Han Sik Korean Restaurant @ #02-00 Heartland Mall, 205 Hougang Street 21 (Kovan)

a small-scale restaurant run by a Korean lady..not easy to find something like this in the HDB heartlands ...well, the BBQ pork ribs didn disappoint, was marinated well, tasted great, price reasonable also (ard $20 I think)..

Hmmm.... Heartland mall got Korean restaurant?? Think too long didn't go to the 2nd floor le lol seem like you staying at hougang area too huh lol

Hmmm.... Heartland mall got Korean restaurant?? Think too long didn't go to the 2nd floor le lol seem like you staying at hougang area too huh lol

yeah, 2nd floor.. lady boss is a Korean, though helpers are mostly not... yeah, in Hougang area, though most of the good food seem to be at Kovan and the nearby stretch... starting to explore the Block 105 Hougang Hainanese Village Food Centre (otherwise known as the Lorong Ah Soo Mkt) ... pictures to follow soon...

metranquility said:
yeah, 2nd floor.. lady boss is a Korean, though helpers are mostly not... yeah, in Hougang area, though most of the good food seem to be at Kovan and the nearby stretch... starting to explore the Block 105 Hougang Hainanese Village Food Centre (otherwise known as the Lorong Ah Soo Mkt) ... pictures to follow soon...

My Fav stall there is the hokkien mee, carrot cake, lasi lemak and you Tiao hahaha heaven for breakfast

Hougang area got many great nice food that why don't really bear to leave this area

Recently tried the re-opened Sin Hoe Hin Wanton Mee @ 941, Upper Serangoon Road (inside a newly-opened coffeeshop at junction of Simon Road and Upper Serangoon Road, few shophouses down from Punggol Nasi Lemak and Hock Lam Beef Noodles)

Dark sauce went absolutely well with the generous amt of noodles. The wantons were also huge and full of body !

6882361920_10a856f154_c.jpg

7028463595_f4249378f5_c.jpg

Last edited:
Recently tried the re-opened Sin Hoe Hin Wanton Mee @ 941, Upper Serangoon Road (inside a newly-opened coffeeshop at junction of Simon Road and Upper Serangoon Road, few shophouses down from Punggol Nasi Lemak and Hock Lam Beef Noodles)

Dark sauce went absolutely well with the generous amt of noodles. The wantons were also huge and full of body !

dsc09961y.jpg

dsc09969p.jpg

Very nice take metranquility :thumbsup::thumbsup: It sure looks yummy :heart: Perhaps reduce the image size a lil?
The coffeeshop underwent renovation for the last couple of months, are the oh luak (oysters omelette) and goh hiong stalls still operating there?

Last edited:
Oops, first time using image shack , will see what I can do...

The or luak and satay moved to the punggol nasi lemak coffeeshop. Hokkien mee came back though..

Oops, first time using image shack , will see what I can do...

The or luak and satay moved to the punggol nasi lemak coffeeshop. Hokkien mee came back though..

The Fried Oyster moved le aH?? Fav Fried Oyster :bsmilie: btw Yummy wanton mee photo

Thanks :) I prefer Or Luak from Ah Chuan @ Toa Payoh though...

Thanks Bro, kept in mind what you mentioned.. can point out my mistake ? You mean the earlier postings ( chai tow kway at edge of table) is it ? Err what's phpgr?
Yes, I was referring to your earlier postings...chai tow kway at edge of table...!!!:) As for "phpgr"...:embrass:...was trying to say...Photographer...sorry to:confused: you...!!!!!! Btw, your food-pics #92 were rather nicely done/shot...no doubt the top-pic of #92 top-right-corner reveal part of elsewhere but somehow or rather due to nothing/no eg. table/chair legs and lightly-blue color and a considered as small portion = passed the shot...!! One thing perhaps is a pair of chopstick to compliment with the whole 'Set-up'=meaning 'on-the-whole' food-pic' the spoon in the soup and wanton noodle feel/like gonna use hand-to-eat ahhh...get what I mean, bro...?!?!:)

As for #92-bottom pic...:thumbsup:...(...as you know I hardly give thumps-up...anyhow...), a nice feel of the 'holding' of noodle...and most importantly is I remembered I told you about the 2-point-focus thing...and now that you finally 'Got-It' liao...Good and keep-it-up, bro!!!!!

Cheers leh...!!!!!!

Last edited:
Yes, I was referring to your earlier postings...chai tow kway at edge of table...!!! As for "phpgr"...was trying to say...Photographer...sorry to:confused: you...!!!!!! Btw, your food-pics #92 were rather nicely done/shot...no doubt the top-pic of #92 top-right-corner reveal part of elsewhere but somehow or rather due to nothing/no eg. table/chair legs and lightly-blue color and a considered as small portion = passed the shot...!! One thing perhaps is a pair of chopstick to compliment with the whole 'Set-up'=meaning 'on-the-whole' food-pic' the spoon in the soup and wanton noodle feel/like gonna use hand-to-eat ahhh...get what I mean, bro...?!?!:)

As for #92-bottom pic...:thumbsup:...(...as you know I hardly give thumps-up...anyhow...), a nice feel of the 'holding' of noodle...and most importantly is I remembered I told you about the 2-point-focus thing...and now that you finally 'Got-It' liao...Good and keep-it-up, bro!!!!!

Cheers leh...!!!!!!

Thanks... I think the value of posting pics here is that we improve with the criticism...

Here's another I've recently tried (sorry, didn put chopsticks in also) :

Fishball Mee Pok @ Teochew Bakso @ #01-1086 People's Park Cooked Food Centre

first thing that struck me when I saw the food was the huge fishballs.. they were certainly larger than the normal ones served at other stalls...another was the fishcakes, there were the plain ones, and the orange ones, which really had a strong otah taste infused within, unlike those I've tried at other places

7028699207_21445bebe6_c.jpg

after stirring it up, I realised the best part is the chilli-and-noodle mixture.. savoury, spicy, yes, oily...but tasted fantastic ! (haha, decided to try a different kind of shot, clump of noodles from top down)

7028699411_66e44e36d2_c.jpg

Thanks... I think the value of posting pics here is that we improve with the criticism...

Here's another I've recently tried (sorry, didn put chopsticks in also) :

Fishball Mee Pok @ Teochew Bakso @ #01-1086 People's Park Cooked Food Centre

first thing that struck me when I saw the food was the huge fishballs.. they were certainly larger than the normal ones served at other stalls...another was the fishcakes, there were the plain ones, and the orange ones, which really had a strong otah taste infused within, unlike those I've tried at other places

7028699207_21445bebe6_c.jpg

after stirring it up, I realised the best part is the chilli-and-noodle mixture.. savoury, spicy, yes, oily...but tasted fantastic ! (haha, decided to try a different kind of shot, clump of noodles from top down)

7028699411_66e44e36d2_c.jpg

Well bro, those "bits & pieces" sticking and hanging around the bowl, be it inside or out.....rather unsightly.....hmmm, I do agree that might not totally be your
"faults" as I did come across not once but uncountable by now liao...hahahaaa...just that, if possible, do 'touch-up/tidy-up' a bit before executing the shot...!!!;)

Btw, for pic#2...not only not so presentable by using such a crop
nono.gif
for Food-photography...go and figure it out, which I seriously know you can, if not, will tell you straight=spoon-feed-time lor...hohohor...
wink.gif

haha, ok, will keep in mind again, though I make no apologies for the bits and pieces, cuz after all, it is hawker food, and that's how they serve it.. but I might look for a better angle to avoid them next time...

here's some cakes recently tried @ Antoinette @ 30, Penhas Road

they were heavenly !

7028599833_51390058e9_c.jpg

the Antoinette

This milk chocolate mousse cake infused with earl grey tea is simply SUPERB ! rich, but not overpowering, sweet but not saccharine, and the earl grey gives it a unique touch.. what a cake !

6882497760_e9a6d0448f_c.jpg

the Theobroma

the description read dark chocolate cremeux, dark chocolate mousse, exotic jelly, hazelnut dacquoise biscuit, flourless chocolate cake, dark chocolate crunchy pearls, salted vanilla caramel...all packed into this little innocent-looking confection... and the result is absolutely potent and intoxicating..mmmm...