Android users unite!

ok joining ya guys officially.

i successfully flashed the android onto my htc hd2 nand:)

now using cyanogenmod 7.0.2 rom with android 2.3.3 on my htc desire. got rid of the htc baggage and now a bit more memory to play with. have to monitor to see how much longer the battery life is.

Last edited:
Just in the party about 2 weeks ago with Xperia Play, Android 2.3

Love the phone so much. :)

[youtube]_9DZdXHzXwk[/youtube]

Sony's S1 and S2. S2 looks different and interesting.
S1 - 9.4 inch display
S2 - 2x 5.5 inch display folded
Both Honeycombed for additional goodness

Ryan

Thinking of getting a 10 inch tablet for use and commute , thinking of getting the Motorola Xoom or the Eee Pad 3G version ( which i think is either still not available or badly out of stock )
* would be great idea to keep my wife occupied when i take bit more time shooting overseas hehe .. side point

Anyone knows if the CDMA Xoom 3G works with the local telco data sim cards ?
I googled and they say M1 is using GSM for their 3G

Ryan

Other pads that I ruminated on :

Notion Ink Adam
- Marred by so many bad press during release, and delays, ( and that somehow hardworking android geeks cannot seem to easily mount Honeycomb on it citing some conflicts) veered me to other options.

Malata Zpad T8
I was also looking at the impressively spec-ed Malata Zpad T8 for a while, but it seems way too overpriced for a "shanzhai" version, and they do not offer any GPS option yet.

zpad_t8_1.jpg

Iconia is nice, but no news of their 3G version

Viewsonic Viewpad 10s - only 512 NAND I think. I hope the viewsonic community can come up with a workable hack to add memory. Physically. Already someone online dissected the Viewpad 10 ( dual booter ) and upgraded the RAM.

Ryan

Thinking of getting a 10 inch tablet for use and commute , thinking of getting the Motorola Xoom or the Eee Pad 3G version ( which i think is either still not available or badly out of stock )
* would be great idea to keep my wife occupied when i take bit more time shooting overseas hehe .. side point

Anyone knows if the CDMA Xoom 3G works with the local telco data sim cards ?
I googled and they say M1 is using GSM for their 3G

Ryan

None of the telcos here use CDMA... only GSM sim... what you can do is use your phone wifi tether and connect to your xoom..

If you are patient, wait for June, cos Samsung, HTC will be releasing their tablets and PC show in June, might have good deals...

None of the telcos here use CDMA... only GSM sim... what you can do is use your phone wifi tether and connect to your xoom..

If you are patient, wait for June, cos Samsung, HTC will be releasing their tablets and PC show in June, might have good deals...

Thx for the input! Just what I suspected
The Samsung 10.1 tab for some reason decided to be ipadish by not having a microSD/SD slot for memory expansion.

Yup I will probably get a tablet before July. I will need a USB port on the tablet to connect to hddsk OTG, and if possible, replace lugging my laptop to holidays and use the tablet instead.

Ryan

giantcanopy said:
Thx for the input! Just what I suspected
The Samsung 10.1 tab for some reason decided to be ipadish by not having a microSD/SD slot for memory expansion.

Yup I will probably get a tablet before July. I will need a USB port on the tablet to connect to hddsk OTG, and if possible, replace lugging my laptop to holidays and use the tablet instead.

Ryan

The Asus eee pad transformer looks like a good choice with the keyboard dock .. and if you are adventurous can try dual booting it with windows...

The Asus eee pad transformer looks like a good choice with the keyboard dock .. and if you are adventurous can try dual booting it with windows...

Is that even possible? Windows doesn't work with SoCs.

Evilmerlin said:
Is that even possible? Windows doesn't work with SoCs.

Haha not too sure myself, maybe could set up a virtual partition and install there...

But should wait for June, cos alot of new android tablet to be released,

The Acer Iconia A500 has USB host port. :)

For me I'm waiting for the Asus Eee Slate, which has an Intel i5, IPS panel, and running Windows 7. :)

Btw here is a user's review on the A500.

Last edited:
The Acer Iconia A500 has USB host port. :)

For me I'm waiting for the Asus Eee Slate, which has an Intel i5, IPS panel, and running Windows 7. :)

Btw here is a user's review on the A500.

I must admit I am half suckered into a windows 7 paddish item but i worry it might just end up with more power consumption. Dunno

I am still looking at android but keeping options open. The Viewpad 10 has dual boot windows 7 with Android ( but the android somehow has issues with connection or limited upgrade from 1.6 .. i dunno )

IF I do get an android tablet, I will love to try use it as a navigation pad when i go for my hols later this yr.
Anyone tried Navdroyd ? Priced pretty modestly, has its own micromap collections to download from
( unfortunately no trial to try )

* of course if freakin Garmin releases an app for android that will be so much easier.. so far no one has really successfully ported the asus garmin software into android phones/tablet

Ryan

The eee pad seems to have some issues with playing back 720p and 1080p videos. I'm not an owner but just saw many people feedback about this.

Updates for android :

The recent Google I/O gave the attendees free Galaxy 10.1 with Honeycomb! ( yes free ! )

Announced Android 2.4, and 3.1 for tablets, with Xoom having the first updates OTA with option for manual installation ( Xoom kinda screwed up but they are still the Nexus equivalent of the tablet scene )

My xoom has landed :p
Gona see if I can get the 3.1 update later this week

Ryan

Still waiting for your xoom review, Ryan... :)

Zichar said:
Still waiting for your xoom review, Ryan... :)

Wat else can I say, excellent la. I did not have much chance to interact with honeycomb 3.0, cause somehow OTA it loaded the update for 3.1
I got the Verizon at a great price but the cdma network not compatible locally. Anyhow I have an existing '3 mobile mifi' unit so surfing was easy. Convincing my wife about its usefulness was surprisingly easy, getting it off her hands occasionally difficult

The freggin microsd is still not legally patched by Motorola.. super loser in that respect if u compared to the other tablet maker offerings. There are some work around by xda folks though. I m not sure of the microUSB functionality either.

Ryan