Am i crazy to ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

CIP

Apr 8, 2005
upgrade/downgrade from a D70 to D100 just for the vertical grip and losing all the goodies on d70? thx

CIP said:
upgrade/downgrade from a D70 to D100 just for the vertical grip and losing all the goodies on d70? thx

no.. i would consider it a upgrade over the D70. seriously.. but thats to me.. i dunno what the others think. but D100 is definately a better camera in my own opinion.

wats ur definition of 'upgrade' or 'downgrade'? if having a vertical grip is considered an 'upgrade', then u might wanna reconsider and go get the harbortronics (?) vertical grip for D70.

do remember, D70 is newer than D100, and at least according to dpreview spec sheets, have features that do not exist on D100 (eg the ability to do CLS, IIRC?) come to think of it, wat exactly u like abt the D100 over the D70 anyway, dat u would like to consider 'downgrading'?

fyi - actually, u might be surprised at wat the D70 can achieve! check out this mth's issue of Photoi? JC shot a commerical spread with Seagate using a D70. :thumbsup:

you GOT MONEY ...... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

In my opinion, I do not think that the D70 is a downgrade of D100. Nightwolf has mentioned a good point here. D70 is newer than D100. Nikon will not release a newer model that is "lousier" than their previous released models. If so, why release it, right? :)

Perhaps you may like to consider the question: Why need a vertical grip? Is it just to shoot portrait framing? I am using the D70 as well and find this camera fantastic! As for framing in portrait, I just simply twist my way of holding the camera. Compose it, snap it and done. No need vertical grip.

And not forgetting, getting a vertical grip means investing additional money. Investing this money doesn't mean you will shoot better pictures. If a photographer is good and steady, he/she do not even need to use a tripod to shoot a picture at 300mm zoom range. My advice is try to make do with what you have now without spending additional money (important). DSLR investiment is never a cheap one and it's never an ending one. Do not be influenced by the "Buy Buy Buy" behavior here in Clubsnap. Only purchase the vertical grip unless you really cannot do without one. Make the money well spent. :)

Good luck. :)

Technical differences have been throughly discussed, and i would simply say this: The shooting charactristics (eg. WB, metering) of both cameras is almost the same, so for photo output wise, there is not much difference and hence no up or downgrade.

As particularly for the grip,if you already have a D100, it will enhance the camera significantly, and IMO, improvement of handling characteristics being the least of them. I bought grip and loved the balance it gave to cam, but eventually sold it as after awhile, i didnt require the vertical shutter release, and didnt use the extra battery life, voice memo and trigger release functions. Mounting on a base plate on the bottom of camera also rendered the vertical release unusable at certain times. Plus, adding a grip made the camera bulky, which i too, didnt appreciate over time.

Think bottomline here is, if u have D70+money, of cos buy D100+MBD100 and start use today. If u have D70 only and thinking of upgrading, better to wait! If you dont have both-for this particular moment - also better to wait!

The only thing I miss on the D70 is the MLU (which I extensively use when doing landscapes on my film bodies). Other than that and the v. grip, the D70 is better.

I find that the v.grip is not really that important but it does offer certain level of added flexibility. Being a Canon user, I attach the v.grip to my 10D all the time. However, there are many occasions which I dont really need it, and it often adds to the bulk. However, it is handle when you really need the balance and extra v.shutter release as well as added batttery life. :)

if it has the capability to let you take better pictures, its an upgrade.

happy deciding :p

Zeckson Chow said:
Nikon will not release a newer model that is "lousier" than their previous released models. If so, why release it, right? :)

How about the D50? :bsmilie:

Actually it depends on what you need, if you need the cable release and grip, get the D100, if you ever need the 1/500 sync flash, keep the D70...

Personally i feel that the D100 also has a better body construction than the D70 (which really feels plasticky)... :sticktong

aiya..... NIKON D2X lar! got build in grip liao! somemore specs confirm better than d50 n d70.... lolx!!!! save all all your trouble... :bsmilie:

jonlou said:
aiya..... NIKON D2X lar! got build in grip liao! somemore specs confirm better than d50 n d70.... lolx!!!! save all all your trouble... :bsmilie:

my thoughts exactly.
if u wanna upgrade, don't just look at the vertical grip alone.
get one that will fulfill ur current and future needs.
but then again noone can stop u from getting what u want.
:D

You must decide based on your shooting style. Focusing on both body are about the same. D100 has better build body + grip option. D70 is far superior in the buffer, iTTL and the flash sync department. 1/500 if using Nikon speedlight but if using a PC sync trigger, it can go as high as 1/8000. If not wrong, only the D1X can also do that. I really hope the D2 series also have electronic shutter and can do sync like the D70. The FP mode or high speed sync are all not so useful to me.

For me, since I use flash extensively for indoors, I don't consider the transition of a D70 to D100 an upgrade, instead a serious downgrade. If u want speed and build + grip, go for a D1 or D2 body instead.

If monie is a big concern, guess sticking to the D70 is your best bet.

Juz my 2 cents :)

Vertical grip to me is more a luxury...not really a necessity....for me...will hold on to my D70 and maximise its use and upgrade my skills before getting the d100 replacement when it comes out.... :)

Shoot for two days in vertical format and you will see/feel the need for a vertical grip - I lost the feeling in my fingers for three days because of the way you have to contort your hand...

If I were you... I would rather think of what lenses to get than to worry about camera bodies with or without vertical grip. Anyway, it is the lenses that will very much affect the pictures.

A better choice is that, go and shop for a good lens and you'd see the difference in you pictures. For that you will definitely appreciate your D70 even more. From what I see, you have not understand the potential of the D70 enough that's why you wanna to get one with a vertical grip.

My advice is that, if you have the extra cash now, invest in a good pro lens and explore or exploit your D70 to the fullest. Then in the meantime, save and wait for a newer body, say D100 replacement which is rumoured to come with a built-in vertical grip.

For which lens to buy, do feel free to contact me 96456423 or espn. Both espn and myself would be glad to help you BUY! BUY! BUY!... ;p

I agree with Sykestang. Lenses will ultimately have more impact.

sykestang said:
If I were you... I would rather think of what lenses to get than to worry about camera bodies with or without vertical grip. Anyway, it is the lenses that will very much affect the pictures.

A better choice is that, go and shop for a good lens and you'd see the difference in you pictures. For that you will definitely appreciate your D70 even more. From what I see, you have not understand the potential of the D70 enough that's why you wanna to get one with a vertical grip.

My advice is that, if you have the extra cash now, invest in a good pro lens and explore or exploit your D70 to the fullest. Then in the meantime, save and wait for a newer body, say D100 replacement which is rumoured to come with a built-in vertical grip.

For which lens to buy, do feel free to contact me 96456423 or espn. Both espn and myself would be glad to help you BUY! BUY! BUY!... ;p
Pro comment!!!! But sorry ah.. espn only newbie, not like unker Tang pro pro... I can't help much :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.