Almost Kena Con...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just some advice to fellow Clubsnappers.

Never give to strangers your

1. Name.
2. NRIC.
3. Date of Birth.
4. Father / Mother Name.
5. Address.
6. Credit Card Number.

If you value your personal privacy and information. Once this information is out, you cannot keep it a secret anymore as these syndicates will sell your information to each other.

Identity theft is a real problem and is starting to become more prevalent.

OT, I am still damn pissed that either my credit card company / school alummni give away (they sold it actually) my mobile number... now I get calls from ABN AMBRO at least once a month to get special rates and lifetime credit card... :angry:

Call me paranoid, but I don't even fill contest forms... but thats another story ;p

The side effects of importing too many FTs aka fake talent. Hope our world class police force can nab these consters soon.

Just curious why you use " world class" to describe our PF?

sound scary man... no matter how vigilant you are... in some circumstances you might just not be aware of the situation in confusion... especially if the conman is a seasoned one...

The side effects of importing too many FTs aka fake talent. Hope our world class police force can nab these consters soon.

It is happening everywhere even in mainland China, HK, Taiwan...

It has nothing to do with FTs...

Constant reminder is one sure way of preventing this from happening to your love one.

If doubt... check with U or if necessary check with the police.. importanly ask for help from friends, relatives and never return call...

hmmmm....:think:...shouldnt be much of prob for the police to trace where/whom the call(s) came from....whats the update to these cases ??..

Sorry, I don't know. Even if they are able to trace the source, i doubt they can take action as I think it comes from a foreign country

A tried and tested way that doesn't really work all the time, but its really interesting...

I got a few of those calls myself, and they are usually from those people who speaks a really strong China accent Chinese.

When they ask me do you speak chinese?

I go "Sorry, what are you talking about?" (In the most american slang english I can mimic)

the other party usually just hang up immediately... tried it about 2-3 times... :bsmilie:

Not all of these are foreigners, many of them are Singaporeans! Gosh, whats the matter with you? Foreigners or not, these are bad people, not important where they come from......

HS

The same things happened in Malaysia also. However that it's a general knowledge that who ever calls from the Malaysia government officials will speak Malay. And so happen these con men lack the knowledge.

A fren of mine has encountered the same experience before. She received call from a China girl in Malaysia who greeted her with question:"Do you speak Mandarin??" When my fren replied yes and the China girl carry on the conversation (with Mandarin, how can an official from Malaysia government speak to you in deep China slang Mandarin (^_^) )with the same con story similar above, (they calling from Malaysia court blah blah blah...). My fren was alert and she noticed that the call was suspicious. So she just halt the conversation and ignore the call.

Just to look out for this kind of call who prey on the ignorance of the public.

Just curious why you use " world class" to describe our PF?

That is how they described themselves; word class this & that. Personally, I am not very convinced though.:dunno:

They just hit my office. Asked for Name and number so that i can call back, that guy told me "you cant search yourself meh?" and hung up. :bsmilie:

I've also just received a call yesterday from a chinese lady asking me if I speak chinese.

Beware of the phone scam.

Not all of these are foreigners, many of them are Singaporeans! Gosh, whats the matter with you? Foreigners or not, these are bad people, not important where they come from......

HS

These people speak foreign accented mandarin and english, while masquarading as officials from local authorities. While there are local con tricksters, they have never pretended to be police or court officials, knowing how severe the penalties can be.

Nothing against foreigners in general. My point is that there should be more controls and filters as to what foreign talents are allowed to come into Singapore. Now it is like a free for all, resulting in people of dubious integrity/ablility flooding our streets.

I've also just received a call yesterday from a chinese lady asking me if I speak chinese.

Beware of the phone scam.

They are playing the number game. if I call 1000 times and I have 2 hits that not too bad. So.. for 10000 times I would receive 20 hits... and if every $2000/hit.. I would have receive $40000.

They made millions as reported just making call....

these con artists are just playing on the "gong-ness" of some singaporeans. And notice the cheaters are usually from China or the other notorious countries. They know the culture here. Locals here scrimp on special offers and quarrel over a few cents thingy but would not hesitate to give their thousands of $ away to strangers, even foreigners who pretend to be in need.

I'm always amused at how even educated people could be cheated by taking the trouble to follow the conmen and women so far, withdraw $, etc. without realizing they are being cheated.

Think it's the culture here. We are not often made to think enough or express ourselves enuff? We are always waiting for instructions to be given, either in NS or from the gah-ment.At school, teacher says you do this you do it. Textbooks always correct or sufficient. We need signs to tell us what can or cannot be done, or what should be done. We need lines in MRT stations to tell us how to stand and even then, many still don't know how to!

So when a con man gives instructions to do this and that, these gullible singaporeans follow them faithfully down to the last details! Good training by the gah-ment huh?! Then they later realize, opps, it's a scam? You mean the stone won't cure me of my bad luck or illness?

No wonder some foreigners say singah-poh-leans are stupid!

How I wish I can use some jedi mind tricks on those conmen.... ;)

"transfer all those money to my singapore account... ".... ;p

I also had one encounter few months back;

A lady called me to attend an opening celebration in JB on Sunday afternoon, I told them I am not going, and on that sunday afternoon, they called me on my mobile, telling me that I strike a lucky draw, asked me to go down to JB immediately (an address was given), I told them never mind, forget about it.

Then next monday, one lady called me again, telling me that the lucky draw I won was$200,000 dollars, since I was not there to collect the cash, they can send the money to my bank account, but they need to verify my particular, so she said she need full detail from me: My name, IC number, DOB and Bank account number. They will then transfer the money to my bank.

I asked them to donate this money to charity on my behalf, and that lady was very angry, scolding me for why I don't believe her, I told her nevermind, I don't need the money, and I sincerely want to donate the money to charity, and hung up the phone.

Still wandeling, what can they do with my information, but whatever it is, it is better be save then sorry and don't be greedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.