Airports around the world "The Hall of Shame"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heathrow airport is very bad.

The toilets were not working, bad immigration officers and badly designed airport.

We had to line up to the stairs to checkin and clear security.

UK border control, I had to show a letter where I was staying, the amount of money I had and credit cards.

IF you fly into Uk, i would suggest Emirates :bsmilie:, they fly to gatwick, which is signifcantlly more efficient than heathrow

CDG is the heel end of the disorganised travelling world. Loathe it every time. Departure lounges (once you get there) stink as well.

Mumbai International Airport is from a different planet. Not a very nice planet either.

No others really bother me too much as I understand security is tighter nowadays. Fully charged ipod very important.

IF you fly into Uk, i would suggest Emirates :bsmilie:, they fly to gatwick, which is signifcantlly more efficient than heathrow

I agree Gatwick is totally different from Heathrow... I feel more light in the airport (immigration part), more pleasant feeling compare to Heathrow.

Anyway, someone please correct me, I heard that if you fly business class (say SQ) into Heathrow, you could request for a special piece (pink) of immigration card, allow you to clear immigration faster in the shorter ques?

add another one to the list... chicago's o'hare.. it's a total disaster.. i've wasted hours there..

After a long flight, if you have to walk thru that psychedelic tunnel with the new age noise (I am not going to say music) and blinking neon lights, may just cause someone to go postal!

Flying to London, this is what I like to go with.
Sin to FRA to LCY is the way to go.

I agree Gatwick is totally different from Heathrow... I feel more light in the airport (immigration part), more pleasant feeling compare to Heathrow.

Anyway, someone please correct me, I heard that if you fly business class (say SQ) into Heathrow, you could request for a special piece (pink) of immigration card, allow you to clear immigration faster in the shorter ques?

no such thing...you just clear the same queue as everyone else...

want faster...charter a private jet and fly into small airstrips. not flaming anyone here, i wish too.

anyway for those holding Singaporean passports...be glad...its a great piece of travel document almost anywhere in the world. thumbs up to our diplomats.

threadstarter is a global services i assume only United has that name for its top tier ffp? and yet he feels this way...gee...lol...its already a hell lot better than many travellers...imagine getting into irregular ops...at least the airline takes care of you.

no such thing...you just clear the same queue as everyone else...

want faster...charter a private jet and fly into small airstrips. not flaming anyone here, i wish too.

anyway for those holding Singaporean passports...be glad...its a great piece of travel document almost anywhere in the world. thumbs up to our diplomats.

threadstarter is a global services i assume only United has that name for its top tier ffp? and yet he feels this way...gee...lol...its already a hell lot better than many travellers...imagine getting into irregular ops...at least the airline takes care of you.

Yeah be thankful you dont have to apply for visas for almost any country ;p

After a long flight, if you have to walk thru that psychedelic tunnel with the new age noise (I am not going to say music) and blinking neon lights, may just cause someone to go postal!

Flying to London, this is what I like to go with.
Sin to FRA to LCY is the way to go.

Some say orly airport is much better than cdg

It doesn't mean flying budget do not have the rights to hope for faster immigration clearance.

I'll throw in my vote for O'Hare but from my experience, most US airports aren't great.
Often see Asians getting schtick from mostly black airport staff, who obviously detest their jobs and enjoy derisive mouthing off.
Once saw a 30something year old Japanese man with his 5yr old and 60s mother, being pushed around possibly because he couldn't comprehend them speaking English so fast. Literally tore the jacket off him, all while spewing acid sarcasm, then laughing it up amongst each other knowing full well he won't understand a word. Utterly disgusting behaviour.
I myself regularly get the whole works, the stand-aside and wand treatment. Used to it already :p
After the long ride, I always shake my head and shudder; I really don't need this right now.
Thank goodness I'm pretty tolerant, chanting to myself don't give lip, they gotta let me through sooner or later.

Agree with poster up above, be thankful for that Sg passport.
I hold a Msian one, and that's a real chore in the US.
As for my O'Hare story: they detained me for 1 hour, in 3 separate areas, with 3 different officers asking me the exact same questions I answered when I processed my visa! Thumbprint, photo, and a game of 20 questions.
Agonisingly, I watched my bag make its meandering laps on the carousel.
After the next enclosed room, poof, missing luggage :(

Barely made it to my connecting; at least still had my wits to tell the international side to ring up their domestic and tell them I was rushing over.
The flight attendant was holding on to the door, and slammed it shut right behind me as I rushed/ran/sprinted through the aisles and then the flight tunnel.
Worst hour of my life, on a plane, wondering where my luggage would be (my dressy clothes for conference were in the bag), adrenaline pumping, couldn't sleep eyes wide open.

Silver lining: at least I had my DSLR with me. Also found out that no matter how heavy I always complain my camera bag is, it was practically weightless when I was running from terminal to terminal :D
Filled in a report, and got an apologetic bag of toiletries to last through the night, bleah.
There's a happy ending though, they located it in Chicago and shipped it back to me the next day. All intact, phew. The return flight and the others on the other hand, well that's another story...

*My friend tells me TSA recently had a lightbulb flick on, kindness campaign and all, now they're sugar and spice. Won't hold my breath for that next trip... hope the Grand Tetons next year are worth braving all this again

Cairo International Airport is the absolute worst one I have been too. The whole place is filled with smoke and is a TOTAL mess.

Washington Dulles (IAD) is bad. You have to take the "moon buggies" to get from terminal to terminal. Plus the airport is so far away from downtown DC (no subway or rail).

LOL, those "buggies" in Dulles look like the vehicles that collects and sell droids in Starwars. And when they reach the destination, there is this finally bump, so unsuspecting people will fall.

In my opinion, these are in my book as the worst lot:

LAX

Heathrow

The old HK airport

The old Shanghai Hongqiao airport.

The current Shenzhen airport especially the brand new international section.

All pieces of sh*te.

Heathrow is death! :bsmilie:

Ya i totally agree! Manchester airport is so much better!

In order of dislike :

LAX- slow slow slow! It's a madhouse too, total chaos and confusion once you are out of the airport!! If no one is picking you to and from the airport, good luck to you!

Heathrow - Most non english immigration officers are (*^$*$)$#$!!! to foreigners. Even with a long term visa, sometimes you still need to produce your medical report, bank draft, proof of ability to support oneself throughout entire stay. Stinky medical room and crowded with weird people!

CDG - Only travelled there once and some of our bags were missing for hours! Help desk auntie on duty that day can't speak adequate english or french! faint!

Last edited:
Mumbai Airport has improved tremdously over the last 2 years. They have renovated the place and it's almost as good as any budget airport I've seen. The international airport has lounges with wifi (don't expect fast speed though but still surfable) Domestically is not bad too. I feel the signs are clear and should not get lost... Maybe I can take some pictures on my way back to Singapore... I hope I wouldnt get stop though..

Have you guys been to Pakistan Airports.... really crappy. No internet and I remember they served sandwiches with minced chicken(with bones!). When you go through the metal detector gates, the security will frisk your body with their hands from top to bottom... yucks...

Last edited:
Of all the airports I have been to, Heathrow and Shanghai Hongqiao airport (domestic) is the worse.

Can't comment on US and India airports as I have never been there.

Try MIA - Miami International Airport :thumbsd:

Sydney is quite bad as well..takes a horribly long time to get out...multiple checks and way too much screening...

I would say Bangkok's new Suvarnabhumi Airport, especially if you need to transit there.
It's just too huge with not enough sign boards and it takes a very long walk to get to the transit desk.

Then once you need to go to the boarding gate, the hand carry check process, in my opinion, is just plain annoying. Imagine that they only have about 4 scanner/table to handle 10 or more boarding gate. Once you times the number of people per boarding gate, you can imagine how the queue would be during the checking process.

Oh but my worse airport would be Bandung's airport in Indonesia.
They only have one scanner for your luggage with a baggage carousel that doesn't go in a circle. So once your baggage reached the end, it will drop onto the floor and just keep on piling up with other baggage.

Also the customs office always asked "Is your camera new or used"......

for heathrow, I found it less pleasant when trying to enter the country. The officer (understandable is doing their job, but still) ask a lot question to non Caucasian, before letting us go in their country.

The airport terminal 3 is crowded, but maybe I haven't be 'pampered' too much with other best airport around the world, thus I find it still acceptable.

heathrow airport stands for "he throws" ur baggages...
:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.