Advice on selling used?

zaitech

Oct 10, 2018
Hi all,

I have an expensive lens for sale: a Nikkor 14-24 if it matters, but would like to ask for general advice. I've looked on Carousell and a few people are trying to sell that lens for around S$1500, which is only slightly more than 50% of the price of the lens brand new. I had a look at other cameras/lenses that I'm familiar with, and I noted the prices were pretty low too.

I have sold a few lenses/cameras before, but never in Singapore. In other places I can expect to sell for 70-80% of the value brand new. Would you say Singapore is a place where used photography equipment is not worth much, or maybe is it just Carousell? I've also been thinking about exporting instead of selling locally; does anyone do this?

Thanks,

i don't know about Nikon, but that doesn't apply to Canon and SONY. Normally have to offer 70-80% to get the deal done.

Just compared prices on ebay..14-24mm afs going for slightly less than SGD$1500.If going by brand new prices now it's between SGD$ 1800+ to just under $2k
and I don't know what the prices in local shops are which is mostly higher.Based on these prices it works out to be 73-75%.Locals not stupid they follow market trends. :) Also don't forget the hidden costs of buying from ebay, buying locally you get to see and inspect before paying.

Apparently Singapore is well known to have low prices on the 2nd hand market. I've sold photography equipment to some people from overseas, one whose main purpose planning Singapore as part of Asia trip is to get 2nd hand stuff.

Cuts across most brands. More for equipment that have been on the market for some time, eg Nikon 14-24 has been out since 2007 =p

Hey thanks for the replies all!

@oneeyejack, as far as I can tell the cheapest you can source this lens brand new locally is from Courts at around S$2700, or from shops that I don't know the reputation of at around S$2600. The price from the usual international reputable sellers is S$2600 + GST (Amazon, B&H, Adorama).

I had noticed a few eBay listings for brand new items in the S$1800-2000 range but I discarded them as scams. However since you pointed it out I double-checked and at least some of them might be legit. Usually the big shops are close enough to the cheapest price; has anyone seen something like this before or knows of an explanation?

Assuming one can actually obtain that lens for S$2000 including GST, then S$1500 appears like an okay price for a lens in average condition assuming no futher nego.