Advice needed for tripods - wind stability and other advice

Hey guys,

Sorry again. Can I ask,

1. What do the symbols in the red boxes stand for?
2. The symbol in the green box is the weight of the tripod right?
3. And the symbol in the blue box is the weight the hook can tank?
4. Came across an article saying that the fewer the sections, the better. Is this true? Convenience aside, any other reasons?
5. Dumb question but, it doesn't matter what ballhead right - it fits into all DSLRs generally? I'm using a D5300.

*Sorry there's some formatting error. The second image is the one.

Attachments

• $12.jpg
    $12.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 37
  • $13.jpg
    $13.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Hey guys,

Sorry again. Can I ask,

1. What do the symbols in the red boxes stand for?
2. The symbol in the green box is the weight of the tripod right?
3. And the symbol in the blue box is the weight the hook can tank?
4. Came across an article saying that the fewer the sections, the better. Is this true? Convenience aside, any other reasons?
5. Dumb question but, it doesn't matter what ballhead right - it fits into all DSLRs generally? I'm using a D5300.

*Sorry there's some formatting error. The second image is the one.

1, Outer tube (the upper section) and Inner tube the (lowest section)
2, yes,
3, load of the tripod
4, more sections, the shorter tripod can be once collapsed. less sections, more stable the tripod can be when deployed.
5, correction, camera attach to the ball head, not ball head attach to the camera. and what ballhead does matter, you want to choose one which able to support the weight of your camera set up (camera body plus lens plus whatever thing you attach to your camera). and since D5300 kit set is not very heavy, the smaller lower end Sirui ball head should be adequate.

Last edited:
1, Outer tube (the upper section) and Inner tube the (lowest section) 2, yes, 3, load of the tripod 4, more sections, the shorter tripod can be once collapsed. less sections, more stable the tripod can be when deployed. 5, correction, camera attach to the ball head, not ball head attach to the camera. and what ballhead does matter, you want to choose one which able to support the weight of your camera set up (camera body plus lens plus whatever thing you attach to your camera). and since D5300 kit set is not very heavy, the smaller lower end Sirui ball head should be adequate.

Hmm, then how do I know how much weight the hook of the tripod can tank?

I should be using the freebie that comes along with the Sirui tripod though. That should do fine right?

Hmm, then how do I know how much weight the hook of the tripod can tank?

I should be using the freebie that comes along with the Sirui tripod though. That should do fine right?
why you bother so much about how much weight the hood can take, AFAIK, no tripod manufactures stated the load of the hood.
didn't you read carefully everyone were saying the camera bag is touching the ground and the bungee cord is pulling the tripod down. you want to increase the stability of the tripod, not to wearing the tripod down by adding on unnecessary loads.

Hey guys, I just bought a Sirui! Thanks all for the tips.

Can I check with you guys, how do I register warranty for this? I was told that all I need to do is keep the receipt but it sounds a little too lax.

Can I check with you guys, how do I register warranty for this? I was told that all I need to do is keep the receipt but it sounds a little too lax.

they have already said keep the receipt "period"

anyway, not so long ago, my carbon fibre tripod one of the leg got jammed, so I bring my tripod there without receipt, cos I can't find it.
they just fix it for me without seeing the receipt, and without charge.

Keep the receipt, anything just go back to TK.

I went to service my tripod a few times and never even need to produce the receipt.

By looking at your tripod, they can roughly tell the production date already.

I was browsing through your thread and it seems to me that the tripod height is your main concern. I would say then go for taller tripod as u have more options to adjust the height level. The downside is probably heavier and slightly less stable but the wind should not be an issue anymore.

Alright thanks folks!

I got a slightly taller one in the end - about 1.5m. Realised that height isn't really much an issue!

Realised that height isn't really much an issue!

Told ya... It only becomes an issue in other uses... but that doesnt't concern you much. remember to turn off VR when your camera is on the tripod.

Told ya... It only becomes an issue in other uses... but that doesnt't concern you much. remember to turn off VR when your camera is on the tripod.

Alright! Should the VR be switched off even if the tripod is shaking a lil due to strong winds or sth?

Alright! Should the VR be switched off even if the tripod is shaking a lil due to strong winds or sth?

As long as on tripod, switch off the IS/VR/VC/OSS (depending on which brand of lens you use).

Because the stabilizer will try to compensate for movement shake when there is none and will result in a not-as-sharp picture.

At the rate we are going, may I suggest that we turn this into a tripod sticky for all newcomers/rookies? Quite a bit of good material being shared here. We are almost going full circle with regards to buying and using a tripod!

Reactions: nitewalk
Also, lens hood and dangling camera straps also acts like a parachute, they're excellent in catching wind, and put your tripod sturdiness to the extreme test.

At the rate we are going, may I suggest that we turn this into a tripod sticky for all newcomers/rookies? Quite a bit of good material being shared here. We are almost going full circle with regards to buying and using a tripod!

Made sticky...

Just curious, for choosing tripod, how much does the max load matters? 3kg 5kg 8kg? Is 5kg enough for casual use?

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

My Sirui is so small it fits at the bottom of my bag to take on flights and I whip it out for a human height lightstand when shooting models n couples overseas. It works great, I place weights at the bottom otherwise it will drop especially shooting at pier/beaches.
However, when I brought it back, the stand fails to retract... and ballhead dropped. Will go for their 6yrs warranty tomorrow