Advice needed for tripods - wind stability and other advice

if you are referring to shooting human subjects with tripod, what would you want to shoot so close to your subject and at so high angle? it will have distortion.

I was always under the impression that the camera must be pointing around face level? At least that's how I have been taking photos.

The tripod is mainly for taking family landscape photos (the cheapo one actually serves quite well for photos with no subject but as I mentioned, I'm worried it'll get blown over if I'm not manning it)

Another problem I faced previously is that say at a boardwalk, cos the space is quite limited and crammed, using a tripod that is too low will result in a photo that only shows the people in front (waist up to face) and not the scenery at the back.

Also, can I just check for the 1.4m tripod mentioned above, does the 1.4m include the length of the center extension?

Yup, already mentioned that you read it correct. Most manufacturers use similar icons.

tripod_manufacturer_symbol_description_specification_characteristic.gif

Source: http://vesnakozelj.com/photography/support-camera-tripod

Another problem I faced previously is that say at a boardwalk, cos the space is quite limited and crammed, using a tripod that is too low will result in a photo that only shows the people in front (waist up to face) and not the scenery at the back.

The higher your tripod, the wider the base needs to be to support it too. If the space is 'limited and crammed', you may find it a challenge to deploy it without causing obstruction? Again, go to the shops and see.

Saw a friend post this on facebook sometime back, maybe you can get something like this :bsmilie:

10431450_10152093692602271_874285262672912338_n.jpg

© Tan Ngiap Heng 2014 via https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...462271.1073741858.670837270&type=1&permPage=1

Last edited:
I was always under the impression that the camera must be pointing around face level? At least that's how I have been taking photos.

The tripod is mainly for taking family landscape photos (the cheapo one actually serves quite well for photos with no subject but as I mentioned, I'm worried it'll get blown over if I'm not manning it)

Generally you want to keep the lens axis perpendicular with your human subject if you are using a shorter focal length lens to avoid distortion.

you only need add weight to your current tripod to make it more stable, the tips already share earlier in this thread.

I'm not sure am I follow you so far, usually we don't want to include people in our photos if we shoot scenery, we will try move to the edges as close as possible, so nobody can walk in front of our camera, or look for another site have better vintage point, if you want to get better view in a crowded place, you are actually looking for a tripod can go up to 2.5meter, it will take up very big foot print when deployed, and it is also a pain to carry it around.

Uh, by scenery with people inside, I mean like family shots...

Go-Pro + selfie rod = problem solved

Go-Pro + selfie rod = problem solved

The problem with a selfie rod is that the rod might be visible. Also, why use a GoPro when DSLR delivers better quality? :/

I am looking for a sturdy tripod to use at home. Something with the feature to let centre pole to stay horizontal. Recommendation of a tripod and suitable ball head? Budget $300 or less?

manfrotto 190XproB. Ballhead just take your pick. Budget better stretch a little more.

Your impression is wrong.

This problem has nothing to do with tripod height at all... it has to do with how you place your subjects, what focal length or lens you are using, and how you frame the photo. Usually the best solution to your problem, is to move and find a better location.

Last edited:
The problem with a selfie rod is that the rod might be visible. Also, why use a GoPro when DSLR delivers better quality? :/

You cannot always have the cake and eat it.

I am ~1.8m tall and currently using a Sirui R1204 with K10X ballhead and this combo has served me very well throughout my overseas trips and local shooting.

I could fit it into the tripod bag, then pack it into my 25" luggage and check it in to avoid any security issue with hand carried items.

Mountain hikes, sea water, fresh water, acid lake, sand and dust, city exploration, you name it, the tripod has had seen it all.

Though quite beaten already and had seen the good folks at TK a few times for some parts replacement, the tripod is still very much alive and kicking.

Sirui is a value for money brand, IMO their tripods strike a nice balance between lightweight and durability.

I feel that Manfrottos are generally heavier but they are darn sturdy tripods.

Of cause' as mentioned before, out of the 3 factors(weight, durability, price), you can only choose 2.

You cannot always have the cake and eat it. I am ~1.8m tall and currently using a Sirui R1204 with K10X ballhead and this combo has served me very well throughout my overseas trips and local shooting. I could fit it into the tripod bag, then pack it into my 25" luggage and check it in to avoid any security issue with hand carried items. Mountain hikes, sea water, fresh water, acid lake, sand and dust, city exploration, you name it, the tripod has had seen it all. Though quite beaten already and had seen the good folks at TK a few times for some parts replacement, the tripod is still very much alive and kicking. Sirui is a value for money brand, IMO their tripods strike a nice balance between lightweight and durability. I feel that Manfrottos are generally heavier but they are darn sturdy tripods. Of cause' as mentioned before, out of the 3 factors(weight, durability, price), you can only choose 2.

Indeed, the prices for sirui tripods are pretty attractive. That explains my dilemma...

How do you all cope with a tripod that is shorter in height than the people in the foreground? The purpose for this tripod is more for family photos, where I'm not around to man it - and the reason why I need a new one is cos my cheapo one might get blown over.

I came across quite a number of threads in dpreview about tripods as well and it seems that the tripods overseas are all, on average, relatively taller than the ones we have in SG?

Indeed, the prices for sirui tripods are pretty attractive. That explains my dilemma...

How do you all cope with a tripod that is shorter in height than the people in the foreground? The purpose for this tripod is more for family photos, where I'm not around to man it - and the reason why I need a new one is cos my cheapo one might get blown over.

I came across quite a number of threads in dpreview about tripods as well and it seems that the tripods overseas are all, on average, relatively taller than the ones we have in SG?
Are you aware the people there are taller than most Asian people generally?

Also mentioned before, as the height of tripod + ballhead + camera adds up, it will come up to my eye level already, which is taller than the height of most Asian people.

At max height and adding in my pano kit, I even have to tip-toe and stretch myself, in order to look at the LCD screen.

But I seldom deploy tripod for family portrait, it is just too troublesome to keep doing it again and again.

Either I get somebody to take the photo for us, or I take the photo myself(which means not having me in the photo), or I do a wefie with my camera. 16mm on FF is wide enough for such purpose. Usually I just take the photo for everyone la, I am not too particular about being in the photo or not.

I am not sure about overseas, cause' I want local support for my staple gears.

Last edited:

Which tripod brands have you looked at so far? You can always take note of the specific brands/models you've seen mentioned on dpreview. I'm pretty sure they can be found here.

Last edited:

We get the same brands here FYI... just state which brands and models you read about, and I will tell you where to get it.

And did you look at the Sirui R-2004? Max height of 1.63m. Once you add ballhead and your camera, the viewfinder will be taller than you...

But seriously, how much time do you really plan to spend looking through the viewfinder when on a tripod? For me, I spend around 10-15 seconds to get the view I want, that is all I need. I will lock the ballhead in place, and shoot with a shutter release standing up or sitting down. I am not sure what you intend to achieve, if you want to be looking through the viewfinder of your camera on a tripod constantly...

Last edited:
We get the same brands here FYI... just state which brands and models you read about, and I will tell you where to get it.

And did you look at the Sirui R-2004? Max height of 1.63m. Once you add ballhead and your camera, the viewfinder will be taller than you...

But seriously, how much time do you really plan to spend looking through the viewfinder when on a tripod? For me, I spend around 10-15 seconds to get the view I want, that is all I need. I will lock the ballhead in place, and shoot with a shutter release standing up or sitting down. I am not sure what you intend to achieve, if you want to be looking through the viewfinder of your camera on a tripod constantly...

Uh, the reason why I'm so concerned about the height of the tripod is cos I'm worried that a tripod that isn't tall enough won't be able to capture people in the foreground properly (e.g. awkward angle cos tripod is too short). For other types of photography (e.g. night, long exposure shots), I'm ok if the tripod is slightly shorter.

Hmm, can I ask, is the 1.4m (very first post) inclusive of the ballhead?

Max height of standalone tripod does not include the height of ballhead as the user may use different kinds of ballhead.

Uh, the reason why I'm so concerned about the height of the tripod is cos I'm worried that a tripod that isn't tall enough won't be able to capture people in the foreground properly (e.g. awkward angle cos tripod is too short).

Already told you twice. Your concern is not a concern because at normal subject distances that small difference does not affect your perspective that much. It will only affect, if your subjects are like very close (eg, 1m in front of your camera). But if your family is 1 meter in front of your camera, 1) your subjects will be too big in your frame, 2) most lenses will not be able to achieve focus, 3) you will be unable to fit your entire family into the frame anyway....

And if you are shooting wide angle, if you shoot at your eye level standing straight (judging by your height), most of the time you will get perspective distortion with slightly bigger head and shorter and smaller legs. You should be shooting at around the chest level of your subjects.

Hmm, can I ask, is the 1.4m (very first post) inclusive of the ballhead?

No.... we also already told you many times... it is not inclusive. You need to add the height of the ball head and the height of the camera from the base to the middle of the lens to the entire setup.

And you need to compare it to your height less the distance from the top of your head to your eyes. Then also deduct around 5-8cm for the reduction in eye level height due to you leaning forward to look into the viewfinder.

Last edited:
Already told you twice. Your concern is not a concern because at normal subject distances that small difference does not affect your perspective that much. It will only affect, if your subjects are like very close (eg, 1m in front of your camera). But if your family is 1 meter in front of your camera, 1) your subjects will be too big in your frame, 2) most lenses will not be able to achieve focus, 3) you will be unable to fit your entire family into the frame anyway....

And if you are shooting wide angle, if you shoot at your eye level standing straight (judging by your height), most of the time you will get perspective distortion with slightly bigger head and shorter and smaller legs. You should be shooting at around the chest level of your subjects.

No.... we also already told you many times... it is not inclusive. You need to add the height of the ball head and the height of the camera from the base to the middle of the lens to the entire setup.

And you need to compare it to your height less the distance from the top of your head to your eyes. Then also deduct around 5-8cm for the reduction in eye level height due to you leaning forward to look into the viewfinder.

Thanks for the tips. It's a lot clearer now. I also chanced upon this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp7H6D4nRTE) which was of substantial assistance. Can I ask if the tripod is extended to its maximum length, the hook at the end of the centre column is still useable right? Do you guys use the springy rubber cord (1st page of this thread) to hang your bags and stuff so it touches the ground?

Thanks for the tips. It's a lot clearer now. I also chanced upon this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp7H6D4nRTE) which was of substantial assistance. Can I ask if the tripod is extended to its maximum length, the hook at the end of the centre column is still useable right? Do you guys use the springy rubber cord (1st page of this thread) to hang your bags and stuff so it touches the ground?

Yes. that springy rubber cord is called a bungee cord. You can get it in at any bicycle or motorcycle store.

The hook is still usable but it will be more difficult to hang your bag directly on it as the space is more recessed.

Actually there is no hard and fast rule to do things, everything is pretty much common sense.

How to use the bungee cord is really up to your own discretion, as long as your gears are secured, it is a good job done.

Bungee cords, carabiners, zip ties etc are some of the SOP items in my camera bag.