A99

Hey got a a99 lemon 2 days back. Just to share my experience so can add to ur checklist

Do bring own cam and own lens down. The unit itself is ok. Can af. However something din feel rite. There was a slight lag before unit focused using shop's sam lens. Tested at hm and found that there is a slight lag when I centre spot af before lens lock on. Updated firmware and mirrored my another a99 af setting. There was a slight pause before lens shifted.

Fyref la.

Hey got a a99 lemon 2 days back. Just to share my experience so can add to ur checklist

Do bring own cam and own lens down. The unit itself is ok. Can af. However something din feel rite. There was a slight lag before unit focused using shop's sam lens. Tested at hm and found that there is a slight lag when I centre spot af before lens lock on. Updated firmware and mirrored my another a99 af setting. There was a slight pause before lens shifted.

Fyref la.

Meaning you heard the 'beep' sound before the lens completes the focusing?

I disabled beep. Here's how the symptom shows
On af-s mode
1. Centre spot on subject, half press shutter
2. Micro seconds later, lens move to lock

On af-c mode
1. Centre spot on subject, half press to track
2. Subject in motion, lens refocus but subject move on Liao

U can compare this even to a77. A77 very eager to lock focus in both cases. Sometimes I wanna ask it to chill cos it makes me feel kan cheong

I disabled beep. Here's how the symptom shows
On af-s mode
1. Centre spot on subject, half press shutter
2. Micro seconds later, lens move to lock

On af-c mode
1. Centre spot on subject, half press to track
2. Subject in motion, lens refocus but subject move on Liao

U can compare this even to a77. A77 very eager to lock focus in both cases. Sometimes I wanna ask it to chill cos it makes me feel kan cheong

But your other a99 has no issue like this?

Nope. My other a99 almost pre empt to lock on. The sense is its very eager to lock on.

Torn between RX1 and A99.. but finally A99 win on flexibility and lenses choices

Reviving an old thread..

Has anyone tried using the A99 for a studio shoot? Does it/would it work?

I have the lower-end SLT, specifically the A33, and I couldn't get to communicate with the studio lights.

Reviving an old thread..

Has anyone tried using the A99 for a studio shoot? Does it/would it work?

I have the lower-end SLT, specifically the A33, and I couldn't get to communicate with the studio lights.

works perfectly. The a33 works too, but you need a good hotshoe adaptor.

For the A99 in studio mode, make sure you turn off the live settings preview.

works perfectly. The a33 works too, but you need a good hotshoe adaptor.

For the A99 in studio mode, make sure you turn off the live settings preview.

Hey Rashkae, thanks for the clarification.

I tried to use my A33 in a studio once and I couldn't get the strobes to fire. I was using a Yongnuo hotshoe adaptor though.

Since the A99 uses the ISO hotshoe mount, there's one less thing to worry about.

Hey Rashkae, thanks for the clarification.

I tried to use my A33 in a studio once and I couldn't get the strobes to fire. I was using a Yongnuo hotshoe adaptor though.

Since the A99 uses the ISO hotshoe mount, there's one less thing to worry about.

FYI, I use Pixel King on both A900 (without adapter) and A99 (with Sony hotshoe adapter) for studio strobes.
Both works fine.

Hi, like to seek advice. I got a second hand 6 months old A99 from a fellow CS. I used a SAL24f20Z lens which was bought recently and the image I got is not sharp. I compared w my D600 w Sigma 35mm f1.4 and the image is no where near it.
I also tried w SAL50f1.4 but results the same.
Is it wrong with my camera or something setting not right?

Hi, like to seek advice. I got a second hand 6 months old A99 from a fellow CS. I used a SAL24f20Z lens which was bought recently and the image I got is not sharp. I compared w my D600 w Sigma 35mm f1.4 and the image is no where near it.
I also tried w SAL50f1.4 but results the same.
Is it wrong with my camera or something setting not right?

Do a backfocus / front focus test. Check Google for how.
Otherwise, send to sony for a checkup.

Should not have as boh lens gave the same results

Hai... still wondering if i should move on from the A900 to the A99... just can't give up the optical VF... been using the NEX-6 EVF but don't like it much... :(

Hai... still wondering if i should move on from the A900 to the A99... just can't give up the optical VF... been using the NEX-6 EVF but don't like it much... :(

Do you need the improved IQ? If don't, I think no need to move on first ba... That are new FFs coming next year, but high chances those are with EVF too...

the EVF on the A99 seems to be better to me, compared to my NEX-7

But the NEX-6 EVF and the A99 EVF are supposed to be the same unit... I have spent a little time at the Wisma Atria service centre playing with the EVF of the A99... it's a lot more sophisticated in terms of functionality and the eye relief is also better. But the issue still remains with the inability to distinguish shadows... it just feels different... I'm rather hoping that the new cameras will have even higher resolution EVFs... something completely groundbreaking... that's perhaps when I should jump ship...

And the other reason for jumping ship to upgrade that is, is the high ISO performance... the A900 is decent but there are many times I need really high and clean ISO... but it's not a given... in event shooting, I don't always have time to adjust and shoot to minimise noise... so sometimes I get really noisy crappy shots... hence the hankering for better noise characteristics... I also don't like to keep using noise removal software... slows down the whole post process... annoying to say the least...

And finally, no I don't want higher MP... 24MP very big headache already... I have 8 CF cards, each 8GB... and that's about what I shoot in one holiday... I can't imagine 36MP or higher...

And the last headache is that the A99 uses SD cards right?! Then my investment in CF cards will go down the drain... and I can't sell them off... not only no value but I still need to keep the A99 as backup... hai... so annoying also.... I expect the new SLTs to also use SD cards... the upshot is that these can be shared with my NEX-6 lar... well well... paradigm shift for me... painful...