A80 users...pls advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoggieb

May 27, 2002
Visit site
Hi.

I am hoping to get a compact cam soon, but before i do i hope to get some feedback from you guys.

-Is there any delay when pressing the shutter button to the actual taking of the photo? I understand that some cams will have a certain delay when after pressing the shutter button, the camera will wait before actually taking the shot.

-How long is the standby time when using normal AA batteries?

-How many shots can it take before the batts runs out?

-How good is the cam for taking candid shots?

Hope you guys can help me with these questions.

Cheers

yoggieb said:
Hi.

I am hoping to get a compact cam soon, but before i do i hope to get some feedback from you guys.

-Is there any delay when pressing the shutter button to the actual taking of the photo? I understand that some cams will have a certain delay when after pressing the shutter button, the camera will wait before actually taking the shot.

-How long is the standby time when using normal AA batteries?

-How many shots can it take before the batts runs out?

-How good is the cam for taking candid shots?

Hope you guys can help me with these questions.

Cheers

On shutter lag: If you have red-eye reduction off, the lag is virtually negligible *after* it has focused. (see below)

On battery life: Don't have the exact figure. But A80 is one of the cameras using the least power. Besides, since it uses AA batteries, you can also pack a bag of NiMH rechargeables. (hint: Sanyo makes the best NiMHs. Even Sony's NiMHs are made by them.)

On candid shots: Skin tone is good and natural. But AF is not as fast as SLR. That can post some challenge when you need to capture fast changing scenes. Very roughly, my A80 takes 1 sec to AF.

In short, I would say A80 is a poor-man's G3, an scaled downed pro body in a reasonably cheap package.

Do you have any sample shots from your A80 that i can viewed? I am afriad that the pics may turn out blurred. I have very shaky hands.

yoggieb said:
Do you have any sample shots from your A80 that i can viewed? I am afriad that the pics may turn out blurred. I have very shaky hands.

Testing shots @ 100% resolution:

http://www.pbase.com/johnyu/03a80

Some more testing shots, but downsampled:

http://www.pbase.com/johnyu/inbox

p.s. Correction: The AF speed is more like in the 0.5-1 sec range.

I have seen some of the shots, and they are well-taken but how will the A80 fare on an amatuer's hands? I have been reading mixed reviews about the A80 being not that great a cam. I am looking for a simple P&S cam, will the A80 be suitable or should i look for something else instead?

Thanks for the help.

yoggieb said:
I have seen some of the shots, and they are well-taken but how will the A80 fare on an amatuer's hands? I have been reading mixed reviews about the A80 being not that great a cam. I am looking for a simple P&S cam, will the A80 be suitable or should i look for something else instead?

Thanks for the help.

No camera is perfect. Which particular complaints you read about A80 concerns you most?

While A80 can be used as a fully auto p&s, its design is geared towards advanced ameteurs (or "prosumers") who want more control over the photo taking process. e.g. it offers features like shutter priority (Tv) and aperture priority (Av). If you know that you want to expand your photo skills A80 will be a decent choice, as it gives you more freedom to explore and experiment with different possibilities.

On the other hand, if you want a simple, fully auto camera to capture memorizable moments without worrying too much about the tedious technical details, S400 or others in the IXUS series will be a better choice.

p.s. While the capability of a camera/lens does affect the quality and the variety of the photos one can take, 80% of responsibility lies in the photographer's skills and creativity. In the hand of a pro, even crap camera can produce stunning shots.

I read from some site that some owners complain that their shots are blurred, i know that this could be partly due to the user but i am not sure if i can handle the A80. Other than this problem, i heard that the night shots from this cam isnt very good? Do you have the same problems?

I am considering between the IXUS 400 and the A80, the main reason for me choosing the A80 is because i will be bringing it overseas and i would like to have AA batts so that i can replace it easily. But i have heard from some friends that cameras using the AA batts dont last very long. What is your opinion on this?

Which camera do you think would best suited for me? I have tried the IXUS 400 and i quite like it but it is only the batt that i am concerned with.

Thanks for all your help.

you'll want to use NiMH rechargeable on A80 or other cameras that uses AA batteries. The high current drain of digital cameras make alkalines unsuitable. The advantage of AA NiMH rechargeables over proprietary lithium batteries is the lower cost (only $3 per piece of Sanyo 2100mAH) and the possible use of easily available alkalines when your rechargeables run out of juice.

If you're going for a long trip, get at least two sets of batteries and bring a charger along (unless you plan to bring many sets of backup batteries). Do take note of the adaptors needed though in the different countries.

Another thing: I don't think the A80 focusses very fast (needed for candid shots). I have one compact digital that can focus really fast but it's from Ricoh (Ricoh G4 Wide to be exact) and not too popular.the speed is significantly faster than the Fujifilm S602Z(one of the fastest among prosumers) and only a bit slower (if not as fast) than the Canon 300D with a consumer lens.

mpenza said:
(only $3 per piece of Sanyo 2100mAH)

mpenze, where to get Sanyo 2100 @ $3 per piece? :bigeyes:
Last time I saw it was $9 for 2.
Also, do you know where I can get a good price for its super-fast charger? (I know there are two different "fast" models. Either one of them can do.)

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

What would you suggest for a simple P&S camera that is suitable for candid shots? I am actually using a 707 but the AF is also quite slow. And it is not suitable for me to bring to sch everyday because of its size.

johnyu said:
Also, do you know where I can get a good price for its super-fast charger? (I know there are two different "fast" models. Either one of them can do.)

Thanks.

check out www.eastgear.com they have a shop at Peninsula Plaza too.

yoggieb said:
I read from some site that some owners complain that their shots are blurred, i know that this could be partly due to the user but i am not sure if i can handle the A80. Other than this problem, i heard that the night shots from this cam isnt very good? Do you have the same problems?

I am considering between the IXUS 400 and the A80, the main reason for me choosing the A80 is because i will be bringing it overseas and i would like to have AA batts so that i can replace it easily. But i have heard from some friends that cameras using the AA batts dont last very long. What is your opinion on this?

Which camera do you think would best suited for me? I have tried the IXUS 400 and i quite like it but it is only the batt that i am concerned with.

Thanks for all your help.

As mpenza metioned, NiHM 2100mAh AA batteries save the day! For those dedicated Li-ion batteries, I don't see it's much a problem to bring the charger along in your luggage.

I haven't tried night shots yet. AFAIK, noise in long exposure is universal across *all* digital cameras. A80 should be on par with others.

The "blur" reports you mentioned can mean many things. Dunno enough to discern it.

Hi, may I know how much does a A80 lens adapter costs? Thanks!

johnyu said:

Thanks.

AP is also selling the batt at $3 each..

as for super fast charger..

there's a few recommended 1 hours charger..
1) Maha 1 hour charger
2) GP 1 hour charger
3) RipVan 1 hour charger

all at about $60..

get the $30 oem 3 hours charger from east gear...

Kai said:
Anyone? Thanks!

Softcase PS6001 S$19.00
Waterproof Case WP-DC 700
Waterproof Case WP-DC 900 (For Powershot A80) S$369.00
AC Adaptor Kit ACK 600 S$119.00
USB Interface Cable IFC-300PCU S$39.00
AV Cable AVC-DC100 S$29.00
Battery Charger Kit CBK 100 S$119.00
LA DC 52C Conversion Lens Adaptor S$39.00
TCDC 52 Teleconvertor S$169.00
WCDC 52 Wide Convertor S$169.00

above are the suggested retail price. Expect something lower at the shops.

Thanks, slacker. :)

Btw, I realised that my LCD becomes very dark when I set to manual mode with very fast shutter speed (1/2000), is this normal? Even the photo taken is in pitch black. Secondly, taking macro is the same too. I set the shutter speed to 1/500 (it remains dark until 5") and aperture to 8, the result is still the same. Dark photos.

Will post an example when I reach home.

Can someone pls kindly enlighten me? Thanks! *Still a newb* ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.