7D damage in rain

Freewolf

Nov 17, 2007
Hey guys,

My 7D was just damaged in the rain, when i put the battery into the camera with the switch at off, the camera fires at 8 fps and the viewfinder shows a bright red screen.

Does anyone know how much do i need to pay for a refurbished 7D if my camera can't be fixed or how much does the repair job cost?

will appreciate your replies,

Thanks

Sounds like there is still water in there somewhere.

Take the battery out, put it in a box with a few dessicant packages (or use the "ancient chinese" dessicant: wrap your camera in cloth and put it in a bag of rice) for about two or three days to draw the water out.

See if that fixes the problem.

Its worked for me on mobile phones!

Err, put the camera in the box with the dessicant, not the battery. Make sure the battrry is out so you dont do any electrical damage ro your wet electronics.

I was perfectly, ungrammatically, imprecise above. ;-)

Take OUT the battery and DO NOT TURN on your camera. Catastrophic damage can be done when turning on your camera when there is likely water inside the body.

As 'jfxberns' mentioned above, leave your camera to dry for at least 3 days before taking it to CSC. I would strongly suggest that the lens that was attached to the camera should receive the same treatment.

After 3 or 4 days, put the battery back inside the camera and turn it on. If it works well, you are a very lucky person. If not, take it to CSC to have them assess the damage. No one will be able to give you an estimate in these forums as the damage could be virtually anything.

Lesson learned: Rain is not good for sensitive, sophisticated electronics. Period. Even with Canon's claim of weather resistance for the 7D, it does not mean weather proof. Anyone who takes their gear into rain, drizzle, sleet or snow is taking a huge risk.

Best of luck. Keep us informed with your progress.

it's usual if you shoot in the rain, similar errors happened to mine a few times already so not to worry

remove battery, open up all compartments of the body and air the electronic pins/contacts it under the sun for a bout a day or two :)

if u want to shoot in the rain get a pentax. lol

2nd hand 7D body going for around 1 - 1.3 in bns

not sure about repair, but to change the pcb is around 300+

or was it olympus.

i forgot which one.

Why them? Is it some advertisement showing them soaked in rain? Olympus OM-D rings a bell LOL.

nope i was right first time. Pentax.

[video=youtube;Eo61t5fH6Qw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo61t5fH6Qw[/video]

TS, I would advise you to bring your 7D down to CSC and see what the technician there said. If price for repair is too much, then you can try all other DIY method to get your cam dried. If nothing works and you need another 7D, you can get a grey set at around 1.4k, which is a good price for that camera and is new set too.

Anyway, good luck.

nope i was right first time. Pentax.

[video=youtube;Eo61t5fH6Qw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo61t5fH6Qw[/video]

I see. Next time just wash our Pentax under tap water for cleaning :bsmilie:

TS, I would advise you to bring your 7D down to CSC and see what the technician there said. If price for repair is too much, then you can try all other DIY method to get your cam dried. If nothing works and you need another 7D, you can get a grey set at around 1.4k, which is a good price for that camera and is new set too.

Anyway, good luck.

ah yes i forgot technogadgets selling at 1.4

Can u soap???? :think:

Maybe we ask Pentax SG to sponsor us to do a video test of it? Free advertisement for them also :bsmilie:

Why them? Is it some advertisement showing them soaked in rain? Olympus OM-D rings a bell LOL.

Both Pentax and Olympus have very good weather sealing

Better weather sealed against water.

Both Pentax and Olympus have very good weather sealing

Here's the OMD E-M5 taking a shower

[video=youtube;hmdo_K1XIE0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v= hmdo_K1XIE0[/video]