50mm 1.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

YqArts

Oct 20, 2008
Hougang
www.flickr.com
I just laid my hands on it on tueday =) To much of my surprise.. it can be used wide open 0.0 , and still get sharp results! :thumbsup: Too bad im not using FF , or it would be better!

A little tough for me sometimes though, cause the 100mm is still sharper lol ;p

You mean 1.8 wide open, 0.0 aperture would be good but its non existence. If it is sharp wide open, then i guess you got a good copy, mine is so so wide open, I need it to be around 3.0 for picture to be sharp. But I guess Canon camera is well known to be on the soft side.

You mean 1.8 wide open, 0.0 aperture would be good but its non existence. If it is sharp wide open, then i guess you got a good copy, mine is so so wide open, I need it to be around 3.0 for picture to be sharp. But I guess Canon camera is well known to be on the soft side.

3.0 is also not an existing aperture value. You correct him, then you also come out with funny value. :bsmilie: Besides, what rubbish is that that Canon cameras are well known to be soft?

You mean 1.8 wide open, 0.0 aperture would be good but its non existence.

Theoretically, it can't reach 0.0. F-stop is a ratio! The f-number is the focal length divided by the "effective" aperture diameter. So 0.0 means zero focal length ?!?!?

A little tough for me sometimes though, cause the 100mm is still sharper lol ;p

Are you referring to the 100 mm macro? Macro lenses are typically very sharp and canon's 100 macro is known to be sharp wide open.

My 50 1.8 is a little soft wide open so it needs to be stopped down a bit.

The 0.0 probably is TS's expression "eyes wide open", not the F stop value of the "lens wide open".. I guess ^.^

Last edited:
The softness due to 3 Low Pass filters in front of the sensor to reduce moire..? All Canon DSLR have it rite?

Besides, what rubbish is that that Canon cameras are well known to be soft?

[...]Too bad im not using FF , or it would be better!

What makes you think so? Some lenses that perform quite well on crop sensor camera don't perform that well on FF, especially when it comes to corner sharpness. Reason is that crop sensor cameras don't use the full image circle, cutting off the corners. Just compare some reviews between APS-C and FF on photozone.de

3.0 is also not an existing aperture value. You correct him, then you also come out with funny value. :bsmilie: Besides, what rubbish is that that Canon cameras are well known to be soft?
I'm really amazed at your arrogance. first of all, 3.0 IS an aperture value. I would have thought in your infinite cynical wisdom that you would know that. guess I was wrong... Second of all, even if you can't MANUALLY select f3.0, Alex said he uses around 3.0, not exactly 3.0 . you can't fault him for that! my advice to you is to stop being so narrowminded and critical.

haha well you get what you pay for and the 50mm is, only about $130 so you can't expect it to be as good as the 100mm.=p don't understand why FF would get you better results. it would be sharper on an APS-c than a FF.

I'm really amazed at your arrogance...
your infinite cynical wisdom...
narrowminded and critical...

Reported.

If you don't like what you're reading, then take your disgust somewhere else. I mentioned it in a jovial manner. It is up to the truly critical ones to intepret it as "arrogance", "infinite cynicism" or "critical narrow-mindedness".

Besides, it is really not well known that Canon cameras produce soft images, and I can attest to that because I don't perform sharpening on my images, and have produced plenty of large prints that do not show up as soft.

it never fails to amaze me how an innocent question can develop into a mud-slinging match... :rolleyes:

thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.