40D on a 5meter USB cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

etegration

Oct 14, 2003
http://360.itcow.com
360.itcow.com
Can't seem to work, it's detected as a not regonised USB device. Any ideas? wireless grip going to be darn ex and from the forums feedback at dpreview, it's not as good as expected...

It looks like 5m is too long a USB cable for connecting Canon EOS 40D to your computer, you might want to try using high-quality USB 2.0-compatible cables; but, please note that in no way this is a sure-fire solution. When USB was designed, a decision was made to handle the propagation of electromagnetic fields on USB data lines in a way that limited the maximum length of a USB cable to something in the range of 4m.

It looks like 5m is too long a USB cable for connecting Canon EOS 40D to your computer, you might want to try using high-quality USB 2.0-compatible cables; but, please note that in no way this is a sure-fire solution. When USB was designed, a decision was made to handle the propagation of electromagnetic fields on USB data lines in a way that limited the maximum length of a USB cable to something in the range of 4m.

i read the first line before getting the cables. "How long of a cable can I use to connect my device?
A1: In practice, the USB specification limits the length of a cable between full speed devices to 5 meters (a little under 16 feet 5 inches). For a low speed device the limit is 3 meters (9 feet 10 inches)."

If it's detected by Windows, chances are it's a driver problem rather than a hardware problem. Have you installed the software for the camera yet?

Other than the cable might be too long, try using another USB port.

i using a 5m cable on 30D but after i try 3 different type of brand i not sure of the brand i using now. and whether 40D oso got this problem. I bought it from a SLS shop where they sell a lot of cables there, it run by a few ladies there.

If it's detected by Windows, chances are it's a driver problem rather than a hardware problem. Have you installed the software for the camera yet?

no drivers should be needed but i plugged it in using the bundled camera and it's no problem at all. So it's the cable.

Other than the cable might be too long, try using another USB port.

Tried that too.

i using a 5m cable on 30D but after i try 3 different type of brand i not sure of the brand i using now. and whether 40D oso got this problem. I bought it from a SLS shop where they sell a lot of cables there, it run by a few ladies there.

This worked. Was just fooling around and thought adding one more USB hub before the cable to the camera and it actually worked. In my mind, i was htinking shouldn't as it further tap the same port to 4 more USB but it works! Could be the reduction in speed as it converted to USB1.1 i believe but heck, do not need the speed now, need the distant for my test shots.
post.jpg

Adding a hub should work because it is digital signal. When the signal is relayed thru the hub, it is actually restored to the "original state" as if before any signal loss. Any electrical noise is eliminated. Of course, if the signal already degraded too much before reaching the hub then it is no help because the signal already beyond recognition..

no drivers should be needed but i plugged it in using the bundled camera and it's no problem at all. So it's the cable.

Tried that too.

This worked. Was just fooling around and thought adding one more USB hub before the cable to the camera and it actually worked. In my mind, i was htinking shouldn't as it further tap the same port to 4 more USB but it works! Could be the reduction in speed as it converted to USB1.1 i believe but heck, do not need the speed now, need the distant for my test shots.
post.jpg

5m can occasionally be 'sensitive' as you are operating at, or close to the limit of what USB is capable of. I use a similar setup for tethered shooting.. $10 USB from SLS beats $1000 wireless grip for cost any day ;)

Generally, I try to plug the 5m straight into the computer and use higher quality cables. I've had reasonable success with this setup. Spend a bit more on the cable.. still cheaper than the grip. I have had similar issues a couple of times where Windows apparently detects the device but 'there is a problem with this USB device' appears. A shorter cable or direct connection fixed it.

Also just try moving the cable to different ports and trying a different cable.

5m can occasionally be 'sensitive' as you are operating at, or close to the limit of what USB is capable of. I use a similar setup for tethered shooting.. $10 USB from SLS beats $1000 wireless grip for cost any day ;)

Generally, I try to plug the 5m straight into the computer and use higher quality cables. I've had reasonable success with this setup. Spend a bit more on the cable.. still cheaper than the grip. I have had similar issues a couple of times where Windows apparently detects the device but 'there is a problem with this USB device' appears. A shorter cable or direct connection fixed it.

Also just try moving the cable to different ports and trying a different cable.

It's wokring like a charm now and made this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjFD7gHY854 450+ photos from this morning 10am till around 6pm. Trying things out and had the camera sitting nicely with the long enough cables now.

The grip is kinda cool to have if there's extra cash but it also does not allow dual batt. It's purely a wireless grip that allows 1 battery only.

It's wokring like a charm now and made this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjFD7gHY854 450+ photos from this morning 10am till around 6pm. Trying things out and had the camera sitting nicely with the long enough cables now.

The grip is kinda cool to have if there's extra cash but it also does not allow dual batt. It's purely a wireless grip that allows 1 battery only.

Wow, very nice!! Congratulations :thumbsup:

I take it that you're using your computer as an intervalometer? There's the TC-80N3 but it's expensive.

Hey same here, i used a 5M USB... on my 350D but it works...

Went thru hub, but its those cheapo type, no external power source.

Wah! Nice. But wont it sort of.. "wear out" your shutter?

Wah! Nice. But wont it sort of.. "wear out" your shutter?

honestly, why worry? if having the mentality of film, then shoot film, why go digital in the first place? if getting a dslr and worry to shoot and try out, why get in the first place right? :bsmilie:

In slightly less than a month, my 40D already over 5k mark...i bet there's bound to be more for others who gotten the camera!

Status
Not open for further replies.