2012 SG Airshow

Jezze, visit the airshow to see a Leopard 2 MBT for the second concurrent times in a row?

Those scholars at Committee Against Aviation in Singapore (CAAS) better buck up, losing Reed Exhibitions who organises the Asian Aerospace was bad enough.

Job opportunities at S'pore Airshow
By Dylan Loh | Posted: 01 February 2012 1856 hrs

SINGAPORE: One thousand new jobs are opening in Singapore's aerospace and aviation sectors.

Half will come from opportunities to be announced at the Singapore Airshow in two weeks' time.

The six-day event starts on February 14, 2012.

Speaking to Channel NewsAsia, the Economic Development Board (EDB) said it expects four in five of these opportunities to go to Singaporeans.

The board said these openings come from 10 projects and joint ventures, among other things.

The activities revolve around maintenance, repair, and overhaul operations, manufacturing and training.

It added that overall investment commitments secured in 2011 will generate some 1,200 new jobs as projects are gradually realised over the next two to three years.

The other half of the 1,000 openings comes from engine-maker Rolls-Royce, which will be recruiting at the Airshow.

Rolls-Royce is still looking to staff vacancies for its S$700 million Seletar Aerospace facility.

Three hundred positions have been filled so far, with the firm looking to hire 500 more employees in the near term.

The Seletar facility is slated to commence operations in the coming months.

EDB assistant managing director Yeoh Keat Chuan said: "We believe that the skill levels right now are quite well-suited to the jobs that we are creating.

"But we look forward in future -- there will be (more) jobs created in the R&D space, in repair and development. And through this, then we may require different skill sets.

"We've launched a new programme, the industrial post-graduate programme, to provide PhD training. The unique aspect of this programme is that graduates, PhD students, can get their training within the company, and earn the PhDs at the same time."

The 2012 Airshow organisers hope deals sealed at the event will match the US$10 billion mark set in the previous show, with no last-minute pull-outs from exhibitors expected.

Mr Jimmy Lau, managing director of Experia Events, organiser of the Singapore Airshow 2012, said: "With the way the economy is sounding out at the moment, it will be a challenge to meet the target.

"But again, Asia Pacific is the only hotspot and the growth market, I think, over the next 10 years. And we know that there are deals coming through and hopefully, they can be sealed during the show."

Job-seekers, businessmen and plane enthusiasts should also have an easier time getting to the event in Changi, with organisers promising increased shuttle service frequencies.

Shuttle buses to the event at Changi Exhibition Centre will start at 8am, half-an-hour earlier than the previous Airshow in 2010.

Some 100 buses will be deployed, and more will be added if there's demand.

They can be boarded from Changi Airport's Terminal 2 and Terminal 3.

To stage an Airshow, organisers say things don't just happen months before the event.

Planning for the next Airshow begins shortly after one edition of it ends -- that's two years' worth of preparations, including trip after trip overseas to court businesses and partners.

With the long lead-up, organisers hope to deliver a high-flying experience for both the public and trade visitors alike.

- CNA/wk
Job opportunities at S'pore Airshow - Channel NewsAsia

RMAF, Malaysia, Smokey Bandits latest entry.

Waiting for more...

see their tv commercial so nice like that especially when its a montage of previous shows.

Guess RSAF budget too thin to spare on a local show by a local team.
[video=youtube;6fLjNvatVl8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fLjNvatVl8[/video]

still can shoot something like this at SG airshow?

flame-s.jpg

F-15SG debuts at Singapore Airshow 2012 aerial display
Posted: 08 Feb 2012, 1800 hours (Time is GMT +8 hours)
Report by Ong Hong Tat
Photos by Chua Soon Lye and Chai Sian Liang

Fighter aircraft roaring through the skies at high speeds, barely metres apart. Arrow-straight vertical climbs slicing through 10,000 feet (3,084m) of air in under 10 seconds. All this time, your ears are hearing the signature scream of jet-engines thrusting the fighters through the air.

These are just some of the sights and sounds which visitors to this year's Singapore Airshow will be able to catch during the Republic of Singapore Air Force's (RSAF's) aerial display. It is the first time the RSAF is fielding its recently acquired F-15SG fighter aircraft, together with its F-16C fighter aircraft at the show.

A perennial crowd-pleaser at the airshow, the RSAF aerobatics team will showcase the power and agility of the two fighter aircraft, with a combination of solo performances and integrated manoeuvres during its 14-minute aerial display segment which will see the pilots execute 13 manoeuvres.

It is during the Integrated Inverted Mirror Pass manoeuvre that the two fighter aircraft will come within metres of each other. To add to the complexity, the F-16C will be flying upside-down above the twin-engined F-15SG.

"Inverted flight poses its own challenges. Blood rushes to the head while I still have to monitor all the parameters and pilot the aircraft," said Major (MAJ) Desmond Too, 35, who will be flying the F-16C during the aerial display. He will stay inverted for about 15 seconds during that manoeuvre.

Added MAJ Yip Chuang Syn, 33, who will be piloting the F-15SG fighter aircraft: "In everything we do, there is always a certain element of risk. During training, we take all safety aspects into consideration and all our manoeuvres are, in fact, very safe."
"It's safe, but it's also close enough to give the audience a 'wow' experience!" quipped MAJ Yip. The two pilots have clocked more than 3,000 flying hours between them.

The aerial display will end on a literal high note, as the two pilots steer their aircraft skywards in a straight climb called the Vertical Punch manoeuvre.

Speaking of the challenges in executing the move, MAJ Too said: "While going pure vertical, we lose sight of the ground and orientate via our flight instruments while pulling about five to six Gs."

When pilots execute aggressive high speed manoeuvres such as the Vertical Punch, they are subject to extreme gravitational forces. Apart from being uncomfortable, these G-forces can cause blood to rush away from the brain to the pilot's lower extremities, inducing what aeromedical experts call a gravity-induced loss of consciousness.

On the ground, RSAF commentator Military Expert (ME) Ganisen s/o Subramaniam will talk the audience through what the pilots are doing in the air. "We are the ones that connect the audience to the show in the air. The show is very synchronised; when we make a commentary on the ground, the pilots are executing the manoeuvres simultaneously in the air."

In preparation for the show, the team has been training together since November last year. Said MAJ Yip: “The times spent with each other, training together and getting accustomed to each other's flying styles, has given us the confidence to execute the manoeuvres well."

It is not just an individual effort, as the team is supported by ground crew and other support staff. In total, MAJ Too estimated that about 30 RSAF personnel have come together to bring this aerial display to reality.

The biennial Singapore Airshow is in its third instalment this year and it is the largest aerospace and defence event in Asia. Happening over a period of six days from 14 Feb at the Changi Exhibition Centre.

The show will be open to trade visitors only for the first four days. Apart from the aerial displays, visitors will also be able to catch the latest and newest in aviation technology at the Singapore Airshow 2012 static display areas.

Over the weekend of 18 to 19 Feb, the show will be open to the public, from 9.30am to 5pm daily. Tickets for adults are priced at $20, while entry for children below the age of 12 will cost $8. There is also a family package, inclusive of four entry passes and a carpark label, priced at $120.

For more information, visit www.singaporeairshow.com

[url]http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/publications/cyberpioneer/news/2012/feb/08feb12_news.html

[/URL]

still can shoot something like this at SG airshow?

flame-s.jpg

tot this fella decommissioned after the last show..
i didnt manage decent shots of it..
if u see another plane doing this while heading ur way, dun shoot. RUN!

Much to look forward to at Singapore Airshow 2012
AsiaOne
Sunday, Feb 12, 2012

SINGAPORE - There will be many biennial favourites and firsts for visitors to check out at the third edition of Asia's largest and one of the three most important aerospace and defence exhibitions in the world, Singapore Airshow 2012.

Held from February 14 to 19 at the Changi Exhibition Centre, the airshow will feature more than 900 exhibitors from 50 countries and 266 delegations from 80 countries.

Representatives from 60 of the top 100 aerospace companies will be present, with some 20 airline and industry association CEOs slated to come, organisers said.

Among the 22 national/group pavilions spread over 50,000sqm of covered exhibition space, there will be for the first time Japan and Ukraine Pavilions.

There will also be an integrated Land Defence and Unmanned Systems Pavilion, the first pavilion of its kind showcasing UAVs, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) platforms and high-tech land-based defence products and technologies.

In addition, the Green Pavilion will make a return, with a focus on alternative fuels to reduce carbon emissions.

For business forums, in addition to past favourites focusing on China and India, there will also be the inaugural Southeast Asia Business Forum, which helps companies understand procurement opportunities and make inroads into key growth markets.

Visitors will also be able to check out over 65 of the latest military aircraft, passenger airliners and luxury business jets on display over 100,000sqm of outdoor exhibition space, such as star-display Boeing 787 Dreamliner making its first appearance in Singapore.

Other firsts on display include the A330 MRTT multi-role tanker and the ACJ318 corporate jet from Airbus Military.

Vistors will also be treated to an aerial display, which includes highlights such as the Republic of Singapore Air Force's (RSAF) F-15SG and F-16C and the Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) MiG-29N aerial display team the "Smokey Bandits".

The show will also see Australian pilot Tony Blair of Blair Aerosports flying the Rebel 300 single propeller aircraft in the first stunt aerobatic performance in the history of airshows in Singapore.

Other key events include the Singapore Airshow Aviation Leadership Summit (SAALS) and the Asia Pacific Security Conference (APSEC).

Mr Jimmy Lau, Managing Director of Experia Events, organiser of the Singapore Airshow said that there will likely be several announcements made on new investments in Singapore.

Last edited:
is there any restrictions of carrying long zoom lenses? I remembered last year they were checking camera kit for everyone and asked the longest focal length you have... :what:

Last edited:
is there any restrictions of carrying long zoom lenses? I remembered last year they were checking camera kit for everyone and asked the longest focal length you have... :what:

it's not AirShow I guess. It was RSAF Open House. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Wahlaoooeee I checked all the rental, 300mm and above all fully booked this weekend.
I only managed to get 70-200mm :( :( :(

There is no lens restriction for the Singapore Airshow.

This question has been asked and answered in SA2008 and SA2010.

Here is some of the link.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/general-tech-talk/647093-spore-airshow-2010-lens.html
I am a newbie to Singapore Air Show 2010.

Why i am asking is even myself was asked at the entry point, i brought 55-300mm, they resisted at first, but i have to convince them as it is a kit lens come with camera. So, if the lens size is obvious then you might prepare to answer them, or leave that lens at the entry point and collect later.
What i thinking of is, they dont mind taking the flight but not their office and restricted areas.

Where can we catch the flying display? Possible to see frm Changi carpark 5? The one before the SAF ferry terminal.

raptor1988 said:
Where can we catch the flying display? Possible to see frm Changi carpark 5? The one before the SAF ferry terminal.

Will the carpark or even the road be open?

Is the car park nearer to the changi ferry terminal open too? Or only those carparks situated along the beach is open?