18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G Selling my kit lens which lens should I get?

The more important aspect is to learn photography more. With better skills, you will know how to get better picures.

This is another oldie I shot with the 18-55 non-VR on a Nikon D40x using a $30 tripod.

3600032764_52365a3cd9_b.jpg

Yes ,Learning something new every day.
Wow! fantastic shot. Thanks for sharing.

Yes ,Learning something new every day.
Wow! fantastic shot. Thanks for sharing.

These are examples of how the photographers push their limit,
when they refuse to submit to their limit, that is where their creativity begins.

Last edited:
I want to add that this first version 18-55mm is consider a very sharp performing "sleeper" lens. I still have mine and use it on my D300. This and a few other so call kit lens are some of the best buys to keep. But some people just see the word coin for them a kit lens and they always have that stigma that this is just a started one and needs to be replaced the moment they feel they are better shoots.

The only thing you are giving up is the f-stops and shutter speed. Beyond that.. this are very good lens to use as shown here working with a ND filter and stop down in the punggol beach pier shot.

Last edited:
the 16-85 is a nice replacement lens

some sample shots with a D3100 some time back

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826358

Don't get fool by Mod Ortega,

he is a photographer that can create amazing shots from ANY cameras he pick up. even from a iPhone or Samsung S4.

so you are using same set up or even better set up than his, but can't get anything closer to his shots, sorry to say you can only blame your skills, not the gears.

Thank you for all the info, agreed qood lens sure expensive. All depends on my own budget and what I shoot. Noted.
I am going to check out the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 , if I buy second hand lens what must I take note? I mean how to check the lens in good condition?

Whats your budget... and what do you shoot ??? then we may all advise you.

really meh?

how many cameras you've own/use, and loan to you for doing reviews over the years?
and how many threads/photos you have for all these cameras?

lucky to have good light at that moment
it is also useful to have a camera when good light presents itself
and also taking some time to get to know the camera and lens

yes I will probably keep my kit lens. I will do my homework and read reviews of all the lens before i rush to make a purchase.

Budget SGD 600-800. I have to work harder and save more.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826358 - Thanks for sharing the link, I like every shots. superb!

I'm glad you like them, the extra 2mm is really useful

yes I will probably keep my kit lens. I will do my homework and read reviews of all the lens before i rush to make a purchase.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826358 - Thanks for sharing the link, I like every shots. superb!

Try get a Sigma 35 f1.4DG ART near brand new - second hand..... great lens and maybe at the upper end of your budget.

lucky to have good light at that moment
it is also useful to have a camera when good light presents itself
and also taking some time to get to know the camera and lens

not many photographers know what is good light, let alone know where to find good light.

over selling that i cannot live up to

No overselling. Just your humility. I own the 16-85 before but I'm still struck, even today, by what you did in those photos. The superb quality of those images attests to the superb skills & imagination of the man behind the camera & lens!

If you are interested in the lens, saw a couple of WTS in B&S recently. Lens went for $400-480 in excellent conditions. Would have got this lens in an instant if I am using DX.

Last edited:
No overselling. Just your humility. I own the 16-85 before but I'm still struck, even today, by what you did in those photos. The superb quality of those images attests to the superb skills & imagination of the man behind the camera & lens!

If you are interested in the lens, saw a couple of WTS in B&S recently. Lens went for $400-480 in excellent conditions. Would have got this lens in an instant if I am using DX.

Yes I will, thank you guys for all the useful and helpful information.