17-50 or 24-70 for wedding shots?

bookwormm

Jun 8, 2010
Hey bros, i'm currently de-rusting my eyes and getting ready to shoot my unc's wedding this nov.

In my possession, i only have my 18-105 kit lens, 50mm f1.4 and sb-600 on my D90. So i'm considering to get either tamron 17-50 or nikkor 24-70 for his big day (as well as to fulfill my hunger too.. ;p)

Anyway, I can't decide on either. 24-70 feels like a good investment, but i'm unsure whether will i be able to get used to it. It is pretty ex, and heavy but trading it off with the superior IQ.

Whereas for tamron 17-50, I know i will be going ff, but not anytime soon (let's say not within 5 years?).

So my confusion is either burn a big hole on my wallet, one shot, or get 17-50 coupled with some other accessories (batt grip/ new bag). But the ultimate aim is to settle my unc's wedding, and for me to advance to portrait and event shoots.

Sorry if i am repeating this question!

if you are taking table shots on AD, and considering that you are using DX body, 17-50mm will get you the wider angle compared to 24-70mm...

If you are saying the ultimate aim is to settle your uncle's wedding, I think you already have the gears for the occasion. Just fix your cam with your 18-105 + SB600 should be suffix...

My 2 cents worth.

Nikon 17-55 f2.8, or Sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS HSM. If you want the Tamron, make sure you get the non-built in motor one. I have not tried that, but the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 with built in motor focuses (quite significantly) slower (and hunts and refuses to lock focus significantly more) than a 18-55 kit lens, at least on a D5000. Have not tried it on a D90. But from my experience, Sigma's HSM lenses have pretty decent focusing speeds.

On the contrary, you don't have to burn any hole in your wallet and still be able to get the 24-70mm. I suggest you go rent the lens for your uncle's wedding. In fact, rent both lenses to try! Only then you will really know which of the 2 lenses suit you best :)

I feel that your prime and kit lens should be sufficient for the wedding shoot. Get a new flashgun like sb-900. Or if you have the budget for a 24-70mm, why not go for the 85mm? AF-S or AF-D.

24-70mm :thumbsup:

If you are only gonna use it for this event, I would suggest you to rent a copy. It's a small fee ($40) for a huge investment. You can also use this chance to evaluate if this is the lens to go.

Rent Nikon 17-55f2.8 with Yr 50f1.4 is enough. Plus rent a 85f1.4 if u want

i just rented a 70-200 VR1 and 24-70 nikkor. I also using a d7k and i must say that at first i thought the 24-70 will be not v well suited as the 24 is not very wide on a dx. however when i used it i fell in love with it, i will now save money to buy a copy of the 24-70.

Why i love it
It is very sharp, focusing also v good even in dark. I have a tammy 17-50 and it hunts in the dark quite abit, i must die die use af lamp to focus in darker areas with the tammy. Not so much so with the 24-70.

Furthermore, i find the 50mm end of the tammy a lil too short for events sometimes, and i love the 70mm on a dx. I find that 70mm is the minimum longest end i will need. Infact i find that the 24-70 is great for street photography, unless u shooting in a very constrained space eg a hdb room for the wedding 'tekaning' etc, den u will prolly need a wide lens, and very frankly 17mm on the tammy may still be a lil long for small rooms.

Lastly the AF is fast, it helps u captures moments well. Actually if shooting say a controlled environment such as studio etc, there is no need for fast AF. But in events such as weddings, that one moment will come and go forever, if ur lens can focus fast u will not let such opportunities slip that easily.

My 2cts only, im still quite a newbie though. Btw i rented at camera rental at new bridge road. Super saturday deals allow me to rent a 24-70 f2.8 nikkor for 25 bucks.

my take is this. if you aren't the main photog for the wedding (meaning, he's got a pro +/- assistant), then ask your uncle what 'other' shots he wants. perhaps you can cover the decorations, venue shots, the candid crowd shots, the 'non-official' group photos, portraits of specific persons etc. since u already have the 50/1.4, use that to full effect. then perhaps get a macro (which can be used for candids or portraits) or an ultrawide or even a fisheye.

if you are the main photog (meaning, your uncle has entrusted the memory of his and his bride's lifetime to your good hands), you actually already have gear sufficient to cover the event (d90/ 18-105/ 50/ sb600) and other future events.

but if you really want to choose between a tammy 17-50 and a nikkor 24-70......i'd pick a nikkor 17-55 - do consider.

Also, if you are not the main photog, try not to take the group shots, the main photog should be the only one doing that (unless an alternate arrangement has been agreed upon). Don't shoot the group shots, or do them after the main photog has done them, otherwise the group shots will have people looking all over the place. If you see anyone else pointing their cameras at the group during the group shots, do ask them to back off too, so the main photog can get the group shots with everyone looking at his camera, and not all over the place.

between the 2, i would go for the 17-50, it make more sense on a DX body
and 5 years down the line if/when you change to a FX body you might have different choices altogether

Since you are using DX body, the 17-50 is more practical.

well i had been tried using both on 17-55 n 24-70.. the thing about shooting at wedding is that u might sometimes need to use ur widest end n @ 24mm.. it is really very tight for even a grp photo..

hence, i would recommend 17-50 on ur DX body.. unless u've intention to upgrade then go rent it if need be.. u need to cover the range :)

I would suggest to rent a lens if you are taking one event. I always do that. Or if you want to invest lens, you can consider 16-35mm f/4 VR. It will suite for your future FF DSLR and pretty wide on DX as well. Actually, your 18-105mm is good enough. But you will definitely need SB900/700/600 flash.

If you have budget for the Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8, the 17-55 f/2.8 will make more sense on a DX system. Weddings in Singapore tend to happen in confined areas and you will need the versatility of the 17-55mm if you are the main / only photographer. Even if you decide to go FF in future, the Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 should fetch a good price on the 2nd hand market without making a significant loss.

If DX, I will think Tamron 17-50mm will be a good choice. If FX, 24-70mm w/o any doubt.