12 year old YOG fan ran in the rain to take photos

Dun think he is from a rich family. His mother is a operator working in a logistic company as reported in ST. Please any bros organising some fund raising to buy him a new camera or running shoes, please count me in.

Thanks.

Support + Respect! Age is never the issue when passion comes in mind :).

Well done boy :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

wk, if you manage to contact the school or the boy or his parents, lemme know please. I would be happy to contribute...

Waaaa 15km in flip flops is really amazing. His school's selection process is ultra screw up. No wonder SG got no talent cos they fail to spot it. When he reaches 18 and with some training, think he can run 21km easily.

2.4k is already killing me. :embrass:

Well done to the boy. :D

I was also there yesterday morning due to its very near my place, but I only managed to follow about 1km, not intended of course. Never really notice this boy.
To follow 15KM is really :bigeyes: Part of it is pouring too.

Wish the boy well and continue this attitude and passion in years to come.

There is a thread in mycarforum, think his teacher posting sums up very well on all the response.

Dear all in this forum,
I appeal to your good hearts to give this boy some respect.
He is my pupil.
He was not there for your critique, he was not there for the limelight, he was not there as a tool. He was there for himself and the spirit of Olympism.
For those who wished him well, I thank you for your kind words of encouragement.
I joined this forum eons ago becoz you guys gave balanced feedback about cars. Thank you very much.
For those who are cynical, I do hope you have a blessed life too and hope that you are kinder towards your own kids. Maybe your kids get better treatment.

Clarification:
1. He went there because he wanted to get into the YOG action. He was also present for YOG Countdown last year (@ Padang if you don't recall). He was also involved in the Olympic Day run last month at Pasir Ris park. It was a downpour but 500 over kids ran 2010m. All for fun and participation. Not any prize you are imagining.
2. He was there initially to take pictures to share with his classmates and to contribute to the YOG blog for the class which was a students' project. But like all Olympic moments, the run was unplanned and he did not expect to run for 2.5 hrs. That's why he is in slippers and berms.
3. No, he is not poor. He is from an average family who loves him very much and supports him. No, they are not cynical like some adults are.
4. He has school shoes.
5. He needs no sponsor and he has pride. He runs for his passion, innocence and pleasure (when was the last time you did something pleasurable and pure and innocent?) in witnessing a moment of history. He needs no free shoes. You can keep the money for your own children.
6. He is a very good pupil and his homework has been done before the long weekend. All submitted and yes he did turn up for school on Wednesday because there is a mock exam for his PSLE.
7. He needs encouragement from adults. And he hails from Singapore. FT or not, we as adults should encourage such feat of passion, youth and innocence.
8. Shame on those who kept thinking this is an act of propaganda. I do not know what issues you have with the authorities, but please take it up with them, not with a young boy as a tool.
9. Yes, he ran all the way. Only stopped when the lights turned red against his favor. He stayed by the pavements and the grass patches. His parents trusted him. He is an independent boy. Do you trust your kids? Did you wish your parents trusted you when you were 12?
10. And finally yes, he is a star in the class and school but he wishes the hype will end because he did it for 'Fun, Participation and Spontaniety".

Please do not flame the boy. If you do, please spend some time reflecting on what values you are portraying. What have you done today worthy for children to learn?
If you must, then take it out on me.
I do hope Wei Jie can inspire all young and old alike to take things on the brighter side. Life is better when we smile.
Thank you.

from http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2654098&st=80

well, i don't think there is a need to get a new camera for him, if this is true. what do you guys think?

but i will definitely take the time this weekend to write something to the principal of compassvale pri. :)

My thoughts would be the YOG committee should give him access to the events he would want to cover, in goodwill and its good publicity for the event. (AND NOT asking to use his photos or claim copyright there after. :bsmilie: )

Anyway its just my opinion. I think pooling to get him a camera is too drastic...there will be many who will try the same way just to reap some benefits. Perhaps someone would donate a second hand camera or something along the line. Lest the whole thing turn into some freeloading circus. :bsmilie:

run in flip flop?:bigeyes: power:thumbsup:

Anyway its just my opinion. I think pooling to get him a camera is too drastic...there will be many who will try the same way just to reap some benefits. Perhaps someone would donate a second hand camera or something along the line. Lest the whole thing turn into some freeloading circus. :bsmilie:

well, if any kid wants to run 15 km in the rain with slippers with a camera... to get a camera from the gullible members of clubsnap, he is more than welcome to do so. doubt many kids today would have that grit in them.

i was more worried that such a gesture would be over-assuming.

It's reported in the papers today that the YOG relay committee have included him as one of the touch bearer in tomorrow's relay along the Central District :thumbsup: :thumbsup: He deserve it!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

his teacher hinted that someone did actually flame the boy? any source?

see the thread i linked with my quote, typical singaporean behaviour speculating that the boy was hired by YOG to carry camera and run in the rain in slippers for 15 km.

i take my hat off to him for his determination and perseverance.

don't need get him camera. both canon and panasonic eager to give him one of theirs.

3. No, he is not poor. He is from an average family who loves him very much and supports him. No, they are not cynical like some adults are.
4. He has school shoes.
5. He needs no sponsor and he has pride. He runs for his passion, innocence and pleasure (when was the last time you did something pleasurable and pure and innocent?) in witnessing a moment of history. He needs no free shoes. You can keep the money for your own children.

It is better to leave the boy alone. I think he is getting a lot of attention from others as well, which may not be his wish.

Don't sensationalize it too much. ;)

Last edited:
This boy :thumbsup: reflects and demonstrates TRUE spirit above any VIPs or Actors/Actresses doing the torch relay