100mm F2.8 Macro USM

Status
Not open for further replies.

YqArts

Oct 20, 2008
Hougang
www.flickr.com
Hey guys, do you all have any experience with this lens? ( With macro or others)

Can share about some tips? =) (Macro-ing in particular)

Currently using 450D.
Please do share your experience with this lens! Thanks :D

This is my first post here, but i have been a frequent of this site =) ;)

Hmmm those site im a frequent visitor too. What im hoping to get is some first hand experience =) :bsmilie:

i am still in daze if i were to compare these 100f2.8 vs 100f2.0.

Its quality vs speed. sigh.. tough choice to make

Are you using FF or Crop? Personally i find 100mm for 450D quite alright for outdoor use, more of a sneak shoot, where else if there is room to move, i think its quite ok for portrait too :D

But then again the 2.8 can do macro! 100 mm prime has quite limited use ( correct me if im wrong ) cause its neither here nor there :confused: that depends whether its FF or Crop again. :bigeyes:

Are you using FF or Crop? Personally i find 100mm for 450D quite alright for outdoor use, more of a sneak shoot, where else if there is room to move, i think its quite ok for portrait too :D

But then again the 2.8 can do macro! 100 mm prime has quite limited use ( correct me if im wrong ) cause its neither here nor there :confused: that depends whether its FF or Crop again. :bigeyes:

im using 1.3x. its true 2.8 can do macro but 2.0 is faster.

its never a limited use. i ever use these lens as portrait, macro and normal indoor shoot.

macro - f2.8 will have the edge
portrait - half- half, f2.0 is fast, while f2.8 is slightly sharper.
indoor-f2.0 edge

that is for me though.

indoor-f2.0 edge

Indoor use of a 100mm lens for portraits isn't very common i suppose, except in cases like stage action. TS also uses a 1.6 crop camera.

Indoor use of a 100mm lens for portraits isn't very common i suppose, except in cases like stage action. TS also uses a 1.6 crop camera.

well its true 100 is not common, just giving him the feel since i have tried them at home.

hey arent we talking at 100mm lens here ??

so what are your trying to interpret here ??

im using 1.3x. its true 2.8 can do macro but 2.0 is faster.

its never a limited use. i ever use these lens as portrait, macro and normal indoor shoot.

macro - f2.8 will have the edge
portrait - half- half, f2.0 is fast, while f2.8 is slightly sharper.
indoor-f2.0 edge

that is for me though.

Haha.. yea i agree pros and cons. Guessed im more of the macro side thats why, bought this lens cause i love close up and macros, but would be nice to have other use than that =)

But is true that 2 is much faster.. 2x of f2.8 but i think indoor, unless its really good lighting, a flash would be optimum, esp its a 100mm lens ( 100 x 1.6 =160! shutter > 1/160 :confused:)

Do keep it coming! =) thanks

Haha.. yea i agree pros and cons. Guessed im more of the macro side thats why, bought this lens cause i love close up and macros, but would be nice to have other use than that =)

But is true that 2 is much faster.. 2x of f2.8 but i think indoor, unless its really good lighting, a flash would be optimum, esp its a 100mm lens ( 100 x 1.6 =160! shutter > 1/160 :confused:)

Do keep it coming! =) thanks

well im still doing some studying for these lens. very interesting.

But i dont think so much light is really needed for the lens. it will be good to have (optional)

well its true 100 is not common, just giving him the feel since i have tried them at home.

hey arent we talking at 100mm lens here ??

so what are your trying to interpret here ??

that the fact that the advantage of 100mm/2 against 100/2.8 in indoor use must be *weighted* against the fact that 100mm isn't used regularly indoor portraits.

For instance, assume the TS uses the 100mm lens for indoor portraits 0.1% of the time. Then, despite the fact that both are same focal length, he should give the 1 stop difference a low significance. Simple enough?

that the fact that the advantage of 100mm/2 against 100/2.8 in indoor use must be *weighted* against the fact that 100mm isn't used regularly indoor portraits.

For instance, assume the TS uses the 100mm lens for indoor portraits 0.1% of the time. Then, despite the fact that both are same focal length, he should give the 1 stop difference a low significance. Simple enough?

ok. cool. :thumbsup:

hey relax.. =)

its just a discussion ! Hope maybe some people that has handled this lens well enough share some light?

hey relax.. =)

its just a discussion ! Hope maybe some people that has handled this lens well enough share some light?

both are decent lenses, really. Like almost any macro lens, 100mm macro has great IQ for normal photos too -- and 100 f/2 gives you better *bokeh* due to large aperture, which is a considerable factor for portraits. But if you are even a halfway macro enthusiast, the bokeh difference won't match the fact that the macro can take macro photos. 2.8's bokeh is generally *ok* for portraits too, partly due to long focal length.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Pictures/Picture.aspx?Picture=2003-06-11_17-14-28

hey relax.. =)

hey we are not having war..... just some pointers exchange

Hey guys, do you all have any experience with this lens? ( With macro or others)

Can share about some tips? =) (Macro-ing in particular)

I have this lens. My opinions:

1. A little long on a 1.6x for studio photography, if your subject is large.

2. OK to too short for insects and butterflies. Depends on the insect.

3. Can be used as a "normal" lens. There is a switch to prevent it from trying to focus too close to the lens for this purpose, so that AF is faster. Even if you don't switch, you can focus from macro to infinity, but it may take a couple of seconds to lock focus.

4. Very sharp lens, good build quality, heavy. Internal focusing = front element does not protrude when focusing.

Other tips are not specific to this lens but to macro in general, and you can probably find it elsewhere on this site or many other sites. Good tripod + head, sufficient light for smaller aperture to get more DOF, parallel the subject, pay attention to background, etc.

2. OK to too short for insects and butterflies. Depends on the insect.

true. ants fine, most butterflies OK, beetles very cooperative some dragonflies aren't.

...and there are things that don't run away. this is from last Saturday: :)

IMG_5210.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.