Zuiko 150mm F2 nickname "Little Tuna"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man, I was browsing ard @ the homepage when the 'little tuna' caught my eyes. I'm v impressed with the Oly lens! Amazing.

Hi Varanus,

This last two images are much better now, as you have held back a little more on the sharpening in post processing... very nicely taken... and the "Little Tuna" delivers yet once again... amazing how details are not lost even when used with a teleconverter...

150mm f/2 is equivalent (35mm) to 300mm f/2 ? I looked up the price is $3,500. Gosh, compared to the 300mm f/2.8, it's a good buy. Or am I missing something. Please advise, I'm pretty new to Oly technologies.

150mm f/2 is equivalent (35mm) to 300mm f/2 ? I looked up the price is $3,500. Gosh, compared to the 300mm f/2.8, it's a good buy. Or am I missing something. Please advise, I'm pretty new to Oly technologies.

You are right about that. And the actual street price can be lower than S$3,500 if you know where to look...

The FourThirds sensor is half the dimension-size of 135-format sensors (or "full-frame" in marketing-speak); as such the effective focal length is therefore doubled with respect to 135-format.

Or looking at another angle:

If you slap on a 100mm lens on a 135-format camera, you get the reach of 100mm.

If you slap on a 100mm lens on a Nikon DX camera (of which 135 is 1.5x the dimension size), you get the reach of 150mm, and DoF is 1.5x deeper per f-stop.

If you slap on a 100mm lens on a FourThirds camera (of which 135 is 2x the dimension size), you get the reach of 200mm, and DoF is 2x deeper per f-stop.

More details with Little Tuna plus EC-20.

PA188714.jpg

PB020385.jpg

bro, may I ask where u get these bird? these shot are stunning.

The FourThirds sensor is half the dimension-size of 135-format sensors (or "full-frame" in marketing-speak); as such the effective focal length is therefore doubled with respect to 135-format.

Or looking at another angle:

If you slap on a 100mm lens on a 135-format camera, you get the reach of 100mm.

If you slap on a 100mm lens on a Nikon DX camera (of which 135 is 1.5x the dimension size), you get the reach of 150mm, and DoF is 1.5x deeper per f-stop.

If you slap on a 100mm lens on a FourThirds camera (of which 135 is 2x the dimension size), you get the reach of 200mm, and DoF is 2x deeper per f-stop.

Take a 645 camera with digital back, and OMG... the DOF will be super paper thin... that is the trick...

Like coffee3in1, happen to chance upon this thread from the homepage. The bird shots are amazing. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cheers guys :D

I thought I should share these results and hopefully, those who are using or thinking of using Oly for wildlife applications can better judge their options :)

Egnaro, the sunbird was shot in the Singapore Botanical Gardens and the Blyth's Hawk-Eagle was shot at Bunker Trail in the Panti Forest Reserve Johor.

Microcosm, my friends and I recently did a shoot-out with this lens and the Nikkor 300mm f4. Critical equipment deployed were 3 kopi peng kaos, one teh see, 4 kaya toast with butter, some otah, comfy chairs and air-conditioned surroundings. Oh and we also used a Gitzo 2541L and a loser Manfrotto ball-head with quick release.

Test shots were a char siew rice stall at about 30 yards and a A4 sized notice with normal sized print posted on a glass wall was the centre target. We mounted both lenses (150 + EC-20) on my E-3 (using an adapter for the Nikkor) and manual focused on the notice using live view magnified 10x.

To cut a long story short, there wasn't much to choose between the two at full size but the Nikkor has the barest of edges (I'd put it down to contrast). So I'm satisfied with the lens' performance even with EC-20.

Good one! I like the part about air-con and comfy chairs. ;)

Have anyone used the little tuna for sports? I'm very badly poisoned by my fren's 1D+300/2.8 combo. If Oly offers a similar soln, my cure may come a little sooner. :bsmilie:

Cheers guys :D

I thought I should share these results and hopefully, those who are using or thinking of using Oly for wildlife applications can better judge their options :)

Egnaro, the sunbird was shot in the Singapore Botanical Gardens and the Blyth's Hawk-Eagle was shot at Bunker Trail in the Panti Forest Reserve Johor.

Microcosm, my friends and I recently did a shoot-out with this lens and the Nikkor 300mm f4. Critical equipment deployed were 3 kopi peng kaos, one teh see, 4 kaya toast with butter, some otah, comfy chairs and air-conditioned surroundings. Oh and we also used a Gitzo 2541L and a loser Manfrotto ball-head with quick release.

Test shots were a char siew rice stall at about 30 yards and a A4 sized notice with normal sized print posted on a glass wall was the centre target. We mounted both lenses (150 + EC-20) on my E-3 (using an adapter for the Nikkor) and manual focused on the notice using live view magnified 10x.

To cut a long story short, there wasn't much to choose between the two at full size but the Nikkor has the barest of edges (I'd put it down to contrast). So I'm satisfied with the lens' performance even with EC-20.

Pending on your budget, coffee3in1, you might want to seriously consider this set up for sports.

E-3 body + 90-250mm f2.8 (that is 500mm f2.8 on the long end).

Nikon users have commented that this set up is not heavy and hand holdable... I just don't like it, but Aussie Rules Football photographer Ray loved it and have been using this set up for a lot of the editorials.

Hands down winner will be the TIPA award winning lens... given the chance, you should take the 90-250mm out for a spin...

I'll certainly do that when I get the chance.
I've always figured that primes will perform better than zooms and despite claims that the Zuiko zooms are really as good as primes, I have found my Zuiko primes to be better than the zooms. My 50-200mm SWD is not able to deliver what the Little Tuna can with a EC-14 attached, in terms of detail and contrast.

So right now, I'm looking at the 300mm f2.8 :)

I'll certainly do that when I get the chance.
I've always figured that primes will perform better than zooms and despite claims that the Zuiko zooms are really as good as primes, I have found my Zuiko primes to be better than the zooms. My 50-200mm SWD is not able to deliver what the Little Tuna can with a EC-14 attached, in terms of detail and contrast.

So right now, I'm looking at the 300mm f2.8 :)

:bigeyes: Those primes perform better than your 50-200mm because of the price. ;p Check out the 35-100mm and 90-250mm. They, I believe are as sharp as primes.

But conclusion, they are all very sharp. :bsmilie:

If there's a gathering to feel the power of Oly lens, please announce. :) I would love to experience it. Thanks.

...despite claims that the Zuiko zooms are really as good as primes, I have found my Zuiko primes to be better than the zooms.

Key word here: Zuiko...

Right on Drakon09 ;)

But gotta try the 90-250 too!

All I can say is the 50mm f2 thrashes the 35-100 f2 at 50mm but yeah, yeah, yeah... its a macro... but still :bsmilie:

Right on Drakon09 ;)

But gotta try the 90-250 too!

All I can say is the 50mm f2 thrashes the 35-100 f2 at 50mm but yeah, yeah, yeah... its a macro... but still :bsmilie:

haha,to me 90-250 no kick anymore,must play with 300mm :bsmilie:

Maybe I'm missing somthing here but if we're comparing a 4:3 lens to a 35mm equivalent shouldn't we multiply both aperture and focal length by 2?

ie 150mm f2 on a e-3 is equivalent to 300mm f4 on film or fullframe dslr?

Maybe I'm missing somthing here but if we're comparing a 4:3 lens to a 35mm equivalent shouldn't we multiply both aperture and focal length by 2?

ie 150mm f2 on a e-3 is equivalent to 300mm f4 on film or fullframe dslr?

As compared to a 35mm film format, only the focal length is multiplied. The aperture remains the same at f2.0. Why becomes two stops more?? You might have been thrown off with the use of a teleconverter EC-20, the lens becomes 300mm f4, because of the two stops light loss, which in 35mm terms, it is now 600mm f4.0. The aperture still remains the same. BUT, the Depth of Field of Four Thirds lenses are doubled of 35mm format lenses because of the design.

Status
Not open for further replies.