zeiss 16-70 picture quality

Lupindthird

May 30, 2011
Hi, anyone here has an actual experience with the zeiss 16-70?

Im planning to buy this lense but been reading a lot of reviews that photos taken with this lense, specially corners are not sharp. Not sure if they just got a bad copy or all the zeiss16-70 lense have the same issue.

Could anyone share your experience to me pls?

Thanks

Hi, anyone here has an actual experience with the zeiss 16-70?

Im planning to buy this lense but been reading a lot of reviews that photos taken with this lense, specially corners are not sharp. Not sure if they just got a bad copy or all the zeiss16-70 lense have the same issue.

Could anyone share your experience to me pls?

Thanks

You have to know something about lens design, a zoom lens or even a prime will image sharply at the centre area.It is very rare for a zoom to perform from corner to corner sharpness without stopping down the aperture somewhat,all have their sweet spot aperture.For this 16-70mm as usual there were compromises made to suit sony mirrorless, that is a compact lens,small when lens barrel is retracted,
light weight and because of this but at least a constant maximum aperture of F4 which is not very wide in the first place if you are indoors but then again you can push up the ISO sensivity.

Most of the complaints about sharpness were from people who shoot in RAW format and as you know depending on which RAW editing software it is somewhat soft in terms of sharpness.If you are not heavily into post processing of your photos and shoot only jpegs then this will not be an "issue"
granted you don't print big.Like as said earlier all lens have compropromises to suit a given purpose
which is small,compact and light weight.I'm not a fanboy of Zeiss (can't afford):).As stated in a review as in all zooms it has barrel distortion at it's widest and pin cushion distortion at the long end but can you find another zoom with this kind of focal range and give trademark zeiss contrast and colour? Read reviews objectively and with knowledge.In general people are happy with it's price and performance given the caveats. 1 cent worth get 1 cent value.;)

Thanks for your insight mate. Got the lense a week ago loving its compact size and weight. A good walk around lense but stil yet to test the performance.