Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music - NUS

Status
Not open for further replies.
chaotic said:
Playing the piano is "fun" but not many people can take the hours of practice a day to master a Bach or Scarlatti. It helps to have a big hand to stretch easily more than an octave. :bsmilie:
i *STILL* cannot play fantasie impromptu properly.. sheesh..
:flush:

in my opinion chopin wins the prize for being able to make u pull ur hair off ur head.

igpenguin said:
There's a Boesendorfer grand in NUS LT13... gathering dust with the music stands in the storeroom when there's no events. Lovely with ultra-low bass note (F?) - not lovely in my hands, haha! Tori Amos' piano of choice...

Those low notes in black are not supposed to be played. They are there for the resonance when playing other keys for that extra clarity. Of course, no harm playing just for kicks! :bsmilie:

Clown said:
i *STILL* cannot play fantasie impromptu properly.. sheesh..
:flush:

in my opinion chopin wins the prize for being able to make u pull ur hair off ur head.
I used to be able to, now I can't due to lack of practice. I found that a good piano helps quite a bit. If the keys are a lot more responsive (as in the better pianos), you can play those Chopin/Liszt etc a bit more easily. Also, with some pianos, you can easily play from ppp to sfz, with others (especially those which are very light), tonal control is a lot harder.

Regards
CK

CK: if you take the Boesendorfer then ok lah... i take the yamaha upright backstage...

Clown: at least you got a headstart... i have still never played that piece b4!

pianodancer: u r rite... with the lowest notes i simply can't tell the absolute pitch... just "bbbbbonggggggg". i also had some fun playing the unplayable "blocks" (eh... why no sound? :biggrin:)

i quite like light action though... guess it's been a habit

igpenguin said:
CK: if you take the Boesendorfer then ok lah... i take the yamaha upright backstage...

Clown: at least you got a headstart... i have still never played that piece b4!

pianodancer: u r rite... with the lowest notes i simply can't tell the absolute pitch... just "bbbbbonggggggg". i also had some fun playing the unplayable "blocks" (eh... why no sound? :biggrin:)

i quite like light action though... guess it's been a habit
wah i dun really like light actions.. if u want really really light action piano, i can take you to one in my church.. extremely hard to control though. definately not good for playing sentimental pieces. heh.

btw i never learnt piano in my life. i grade 0. =p

Status
Not open for further replies.