YOG food issue again .....

Other nations would be proud and glad because their own home grown and developed athletics can show case their talent in front of their fellow citizen. Imagine winning medals at home soil...

Right from the beginning, the YOG was set to be a marketing campaign by our Government. It was a whoring exercise. Our Government purely want to take this opportunity to show case some of this country new facilities. IR and what not...

Even if Singapore wins 10 gold medals, it is not going to bring any prosperity to the nation economically - you cannot feed a nation on medals, pride and sporting achievements. Bragging rights - perhaps. Look at Russia, Eastern European and some African countries, they do win medals in international sporting events, their athletes are world class, but see how the majority of their population struggle with their daily lives.

What is wrong with show casing Singapore's infrastructure ? If you don't promote Singapore, tourists, MICE delegations and MNCs like financial institutions may not be in Singapore. With these people coming to town, what u have is money spent - hotels rooms are filled, taxis are in demand, food n beverage establishments get patronized, retailers can sell things, office and shopping places facilities are needed thus benefiting contractors and developers - in short you have foreign money coming in to support whole industries which would otherwise not exist. For a country without raw materials and cheap labor, this is a way of keeping the wheels of the economy moving. Look at home ownership numbers, look at the number of new cars on the road, look at mobile phones ownership, look at the holidays that Singaporeans take, look at the amount that they spend on renovation and gadgets for their homes or toys like camera & lenses, car accessories - all these are the result of the economy, Yes ? :)

Even if Singapore wins 10 gold medals, it is not going to bring any prosperity to the nation economically - you cannot feed a nation on medals, pride and sporting achievements. Bragging rights - perhaps. Look at Russia, Eastern European and some African countries, they do win medals in international sporting events, their athletes are world class, but see how the majority of their population struggle with their daily lives.

What is wrong with show casing Singapore's infrastructure ? If you don't promote Singapore, tourists, MICE delegations and MNCs like financial institutions may not be in Singapore. With these people coming to town, what u have is money spent - hotels rooms are filled, taxis are in demand, food n beverage establishments get patronized, retailers can sell things, office and shopping places facilities are needed thus benefiting contractors and developers - in short you have foreign money coming in to support whole industries which would otherwise not exist. For a country without raw materials and cheap labor, this is a way of keeping the wheels of the economy moving. Look at home ownership numbers, look at the number of new cars on the road, look at mobile phones ownership, look at the holidays that Singaporeans take, look at the amount that they spend on renovation and gadgets for their homes or toys like camera & lenses, car accessories - all these are the result of the economy, Yes ? :)

Showcase to who? I had the impression that we aren't really broadcasted beyond our shores.

What do you think? this come from my son and he still is volunteering.

did your son ask you to sign any paper? or did he sign any paper? and did the paper say if he pull out, what is the penalty? if no, dont worry, just ask him to concentrate on his exam.

as for the teacher, its the sch. stop blaming yog cause they didnt take a gun to point at schools.

And you know this because you're with MOE?

An auntie of mine retired from MOE after 30+ years and am now working for them in MOE itself as a "project consultant", she was so disgusted with how MOE "encourage" schools to support the YOG that she turn down their offer to head another project citing that she need a rest.

Just for your info, MOE knows how many students, how and from which school took part in one way or another to support the YOG. MOE is also the one who controls the school staff's promotion, annual ranking, request for additional funding, etc. So you still think there's no "gun pointed at the school"? More like a sniper rifle aiming at someone's head from afar.

think about this ... this is a youth oilypics, where else do you expect the Authorities to get resources to man the games, but from the institutions of learning where our youths can be found in. This is a game where the participants are kids - would it look silly if you see men and women in army or police uniforms or middled aged people or even retirees "volunteering".

An auntie of mine retired from MOE after 30+ years and am now working for them in MOE itself as a "project consultant", she was so disgusted with how MOE "encourage" schools to support the YOG that she turn down their offer to head another project citing that she need a rest.

Just for your info, MOE knows how many students, how and from which school took part in one way or another to support the YOG. MOE is also the one who controls the school staff's promotion, annual ranking, request for additional funding, etc. So you still think there's no "gun pointed at the school"? More like a sniper rifle aiming at someone's head from afar.

Showcase to who? I had the impression that we aren't really broadcasted beyond our shores.

To be honest, i have no clue as to which broadcaster has picked up the TV rights. All i know is when i flip channels, i see 4 starhub cable tv channels showing the day's events. But broadcast is not the only way that the event gets mentioned. When countries send their teams to Singapore, various parties are involved in the decision and execution - ranging from sports bodies to government bodies. Friends and families of the athletes and delegates are involved too. When a medal is won, newspapers and magazines will write about it. Hometowns of athletes will celebrate the win. All these will inevitably show or mention Singapore in some ways.

as for the teacher, its the sch. stop blaming yog cause they didnt take a gun to point at schools.

u points are valid, but unfortunately the world does not work like that, there is always a hidden agenda to everything... u are young and still in sch, nothing wrong with ur views, but i can assure you, once u come out to work, u will understand...

MOE probably is also being instructed to make sure the students turn up...

If our own people have no idea what is YOG(from a street surveys here, broadcasted not long ago), I am not surprise many from other countries have not even heard of the name "Youth Olympic Games".

It's hard, we got limited budget to advertise across the globe.

think about this ... this is a youth oilypics, where else do you expect the Authorities to get resources to man the games, but from the institutions of learning where our youths can be found in. This is a game where the participants are kids - would it look silly if you see men and women in army or police uniforms or middled aged people or even retirees "volunteering".

the gay/gals from army and police don't have to be in army or police uniform right? They are there to help out in the YOG, not as army and police personal, so they can wear the YOG uniform.

And on behalf of "middle aged people and retirees", What is wrong with us volunterring? Are we a bad example/image/PR for the YOG? :think:

If what you say is true and we "need young volunteers" because it is a youth thingy, than please, confine the games to the area around DownTown East and don't disturb us "middle aged", working and tax paying people, people who are paying for the games.

the gay/gals from army and police don't have to be in army or police uniform right? They are there to help out in the YOG, not as army and police personal, so they can wear the YOG uniform.

And on behalf of "middle aged people and retirees", What is wrong with us volunterring? Are we a bad example/image/PR for the YOG? :think:

If what you say is true and we "need young volunteers" because it is a youth thingy, than please, confine the games to the area around DownTown East and don't disturb us "middle aged", working and tax paying people, people who are paying for the games.
Wah! Imagine all those Ah peks oogling their eyes out at the young sexy sporty girls!! :bsmilie:

MOE probably is also being instructed to make sure the students turn up...

:dunno: Maybe someone from the very top just "mention", "we should get the schools involve, get them to support the YOG, schools should support them because we need their support as volunteers" and the ball start rolling .............. :think:

don't disturb us "middle aged", working and tax paying people, people who are paying for the games.

halo if you don't pay how do you expect the youth enjoy the games.

:dunno: Maybe someone from the very top just "mention", "we should get the schools involve, get them to support the YOG, schools should support them because we need their support as volunteers" and the ball start rolling .............. :think:

If I don't give such directive, you think you will volunteer your children ah. :bsmilie:

halo if you don't pay how do you expect the youth enjoy the games.

How about all the ministers take a pay cut? with the seed mony from IOC and sponsorship, should be able to make it. Another way, Don't Wear Such A Big Hat If You Don't Have Such A Big Head. :bsmilie:

If I don't give such directive, you think you will volunteer your children ah. :bsmilie:

Sometimes, we are strange like that- for the same event, we might feel its ok to volunteer, but not when we are forced to do so. :)

To be serious: I think it is because of the very low interest, that the government asked the youth to come forward to watch, how would you feel as a sportsman/sportswoman who come here all the way from overseas, and no one is watching the games?

HS

Lucky my kid's school "bo chup" ............. come to think of it, the school pri was posted out just before the start of the YOG, was she posted out becouse she refuse to volunteer her students? She was a very good pri who really care for the students.

Lucky my kid's school "bo chup" ............. come to think of it, the school pri was posted out just before the start of the YOG, was she posted out becouse she refuse to volunteer her students? She was a very good pri who really care for the students.
She posted out to Pulau Ubin?

How about all the ministers take a pay cut? with the seed mony from IOC and sponsorship, should be able to make it. Another way, Don't Wear Such A Big Hat If You Don't Have Such A Big Head. :bsmilie:

ok, ok I will tell them to do so as you said.