Would you take your big DSLR set to Mt. KK expedition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally did not use a tripod, and instead used the monopod cum spring loaded walking stick that I own.

Was it good? I'm looking for a trekking pole like that too.
What brand/make did you get?

I'd be going to Mt. Kinabalu in Jan 2010, and I intend to bring my D70 and my tripod along... I don't think it's that tough... Just that it may be a good idea to start training now!!

Wowww... that's very early to start training, but exercise never hurts anybody though.
You can probably start by just exercising regularly... jog or cycle or whatever exercise abt 2-3 times a week to keep fit. Then you can start to train more intensively about 1 month before the climb. Good luck! ;)

A CPL's not gonna help much if you're pointing towards the sun. It's also gonna slow down your shutter speed by a little.

I went up without a monopod or tripod. Brought a gripped 40D with tamron 17-50 and ef-s 10-22. Used the17-50 on my way up cos fortunately it didn't rain, and at the peak i used the 10-22. Would be good if u bring a monopod, but it is manageable without one. If you know how to shoot a rifle while seated on the ground, you should be able to shoot a camera in the same way with ISO bumped up.

And bring lots of big ziploc to keep ur equipment dry if it rains! It rained all the way throughout my descend. My lowepro offtrail 2 was soaked, but luckily i had my camera and lenses in ziplocs! :sweatsm:

Check out these pictures
http://www.123rf.com/portfolio/seancold/1.html

If you wanna try something different, bring ur 70-300. I think there're too many shots using UWAs.

Have fun!:D

I'm not the fittest person around, but I too have brought my DSLR (10D at the time) with one lens on many trekking trips, including Mt Kinabalu. However, now that I'm older, I'm more inclined to get a porter so that I can focus on photography and enjoying the scenery. What I do is put the camera and one lens in a waist pouch or fanny pack for easy access. In this way, you can save on the weight of carrying another compact camera.

The way I see it, why carry a compact camera and give your DSLR a free ride to the top?? Might as well put it to work for making you carry it up the mountain!

Also, whether you are fit or not, weight and altitude is an important consideration. The ability to stand high altitudes is not about fitness, though it does help. If you are dragging that much weight to the top, you might not be in the mood to shoot by the time you get there. A monopod is the most I'd go for, though personally I wouldn't even bring one. My advice is to take the DSLR, your favourite lens, and make do with it. Your body will appreciate it, you will appreciate the climb a lot more, and your pictures will show for it too.

Wowww... that's very early to start training, but exercise never hurts anybody though.
You can probably start by just exercising regularly... jog or cycle or whatever exercise abt 2-3 times a week to keep fit. Then you can start to train more intensively about 1 month before the climb. Good luck! ;)

Agreed!! Just carry the exact camera gear you want to bring up the mountain with you while training. Walk around for hours, climb stairs with the same camera bag loaded with your gear. By the time your trip arrives, you won't even notice the weight of your stuff!!

Status
Not open for further replies.