Would you bring a DSLR or Point and Shoot to travel to Europe?

i believe its worth the weight. ;)

Bring ur dslr bro. Most impt is buy a good bag that distributes e weight well. Think n padded straps. Backpacks r generally beta so u can walk comfily n get good shotS.

Hello everyone...it was immensely interesting reading the contributions to this thread...I have a canon 60D and am travelling to Europe soon with my friends, all girls trip...I have a 24-105 lens and a 30mm prime, intending to bring a tripod...u think its enough?

Can i join?!?!...

Erm, i mean if it s only one lens then u shud bring it. Primes r pretty light... Jus get a comfy backpack along to distribute e weight over ur shoulder n back. Can even slot in ur water bottle. All that shud b enuf, but it ll b good to carry a flash with diffuser. Or compromuse wid a pop up flash diffuser.

I would definately say "Bring BOTH". And yup, like what other pals have mentioned, you will not regret bringing your DSLR to other countries. I brought my heavy DSLR to Japan and Europe, and the photos turn out much better than the compact ones.

Of cos, there are times you get so tired carrying the dslr bag, mmm... thats when prolly you may wanna use your compact one. Its like you are given a alternative switch of choice.

Yup.... just bring ur dslr along. U will not regret ! ;)

bring both. Ive heard there are some museums that don't allow pro equipment in

I have always brought my DSLR, except when I travel up north which I don't see why I would want to bring a heavy load with no opp to shoot (or I don't see any)... Having said that, I had traveled with the D70, it's kit lens 18-70mm, 50mm & tokina 12-24mm.

What made me change my "travel kit" was when I was in spain, where I ruled the day which I had not got a longer lens. So, the kit lens was changed to 18-200mm and have been traveling with these lens.

Yes, some would say the quality of the images from this lens is not good, but for the convenience and the photos I got, I would say it's a good traveling lens.

For next trip a new lens to be added for the trip to get the extra reach that I would need. Let's see how the travel will be.

Oh, I do bring along a P&S, for videos before I got the D7k recently... But I will still travel with one especially it's easier to leave it to a stranger to use to take me photo than to hand my DSLR to them. Sometimes kiasee can be a good thing :p

Last edited:
Hey Michael. Just wanted to give my 2-cents worth since I was traveling Paris, Berlin and Prague a few months back. I had an assignment in Paris and after that, wifey and I left our equipment with a relative in Berlin and travelled to Prague. I had a 5D Mk 2, plus 24-105 and 50mm, and a table top manfrotto tripod. The 24-105 was in my backpack most of the time. I shot most of my images with the DSLR + 50mm. The couple shots was taken with the tripod.

My take is, enjoy the holiday and don't be too bogged down with weight and security worries. In that trip because of the assignment, I had 2 DSLRS, 2 580s flashes, carbon-fibre tripod, macbook, about 5 lenses, etc, etc, etc but after work, it was mostly 1 DSLR + 50mm. And we had an extremely good time. The combo was small and inconspicuous.

Got tons of images but posted a few here: http://www.photographybyeulee.com/blog/?s=prague

Enjoy the trip!!!

My advise is to take the middle path and prioritize what you need to bring. Look at your holiday from a holistic point of view. Does your wife enjoy the holiday if she needs to keep waiting for you to take photos? If she does you can spend more time taking photos and bringing more gears. If she does not, bring your DSLR but with minimal accessories and learn to take your photos quickly and move on. Look at your family needs as a whole and not just yours alone. Most of all enjoy your holiday with your family!

THT

if you're going to Europe I'd say bring your dslr along.

for short/fun trips with friends to nearby places, say genting, I carry just my point and shoot. purpose of the trip is more about friends, more about having and and relaxing. plus personally I think there's not much that I'll want to shoot over there. so a point and shoot will suffice.

but for your case if you're going to Europe I'll definitely suggest bringing your dslr. I have a friend who went to Europe at the end of last year with his point and shoot (he has no dslr), and he came back making noise about not having a dslr to take nicer pictures. he showed me his pictures (almost a thousand shots) - the streets, buildings (even the interior!) and architecture in Europe are just beautiful, somthing you don't see in singapore. of course a compact camera takes nice pictures too, but personally I think a dslr would be worth the weight.

of course carrying a dslr around every day means you got to be more hardworking! :bsmilie: I went to sichuan last year to do community service. my friends in the group brought their point and shoot but I brought my dslr (partly also because I was the appointed photographer for the trip). it was really heavy load for me throughout the entire day (a day typically starts at 8am and ends at 9/10pm), but I never regretted a single bit. the shots I managed - streets of sichuan after the earthquake, quite a fair bit of nice scenery, local children celebrating children's day, etc. really made me felt that all that effort and weight was worth. :)

but one thing is you can do is to try keep your gear light. I brought a general zoom and primes along. after a few days I left the primes in my luggage back in the hotel while I carried my D300 + tamron 17-50 2.8 out. oh also remember to carry enough (if not more) batteries and memory cards. I rotated between 2 batteries and had 20gb of CF cards so no issues throughout the trip. ;)

have fun! :bsmilie:

do u like to take landscape?
u can go with ur lens + 1 UWA lens (14 24 is the good choice) i think + 1 semi pro pocket/M43 camera for daily use (G11/G12 or any M43 with kit lens attach)..dnt forget to bring ur tripod also pals....or maybe a gorillapod also can use....

*just my 2 cents*

bring both, just in case...

Hi Bro

Bring DSLR. There will not be a better moment to utilise your camera right?

Hmmm.. Buy a backpack if u are worried about the load. Somehow it will feel lighter compared to a sling bag.

Hello everyone...it was immensely interesting reading the contributions to this thread...I have a canon 60D and am travelling to Europe soon with my friends, all girls trip...I have a 24-105 lens and a 30mm prime, intending to bring a tripod...u think its enough?

Sounds good. U like landscaping? Else 24 might not be wide enough.

But if is to shoot more of people, i think that very sufficient.

BTW my equipment list for Seoul are 35mm F1.8, 10-20mm F4-5.6, Body, Tripod(1.3kg) and a backpack.

Works well for me.

Buy her a dslr so she can use one of the lens you have got.

for my recent trip to HK ( no europe :( )

i bring my backpack with all 4 lenses. but everyday only bring body with lens + 1 lens depends + tripod (depends on itinerary) with a smaller shoulder bag

OoStarDustoO said:
Sounds good. U like landscaping? Else 24 might not be wide enough.

But if is to shoot more of people, i think that very sufficient.

BTW my equipment list for Seoul are 35mm F1.8, 10-20mm F4-5.6, Body, Tripod(1.3kg) and a backpack.

Works well for me.

Hi hi i think I will bring my tokina 11-16 mm as well and my tripod mite need to take nite shots as well better bring

i remember my first so called photography trip back in 2006, i brought 2 dslr body ( normal and IR ) and 3-4 lenses with tripod...
after that i reduce into 5d + 12-24 + 24-105...
and my last trip all i brought is only 5d + 16-35... too lazy already...
i'm getting too old :|