Would Full-Frame DSLR Become Affordable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
full frame will only come about when canon/ nikon can think of any improvements to add to their 1.6X body...... :bsmilie:

maybe the will add (slowly generations by generations) until the last improvement which is the sensor.... haha

usb2.0 then firewire.....

no flaming pls

nicholas1986 said:
full frame will only come about when canon/ nikon can think of any improvements to add to their 1.6X body...... :bsmilie:

maybe the will add (slowly generations by generations) until the last improvement which is the sensor.... haha

usb2.0 then firewire.....

no flaming pls

S2Pro already has it.

nicholas1986 ==>:flame: <==zombiez

AReality said:
Wooo... at this rate, in 12 months time, I will expect people to be giving me their 300D for free!!! :)

& in 18 months, U need to pay me $700 to give me your 300D!!!
Wow!!!
Isn't that great?

yeah.. would pay u $50 for disposal fees... :bsmilie:

Kit said:
CHeck out some of the older news. Nikon has made it very clear that they will not be developing a FF body, not in the foreseeable future at least.
Maybe Nikon won't, but Canon has and will continue to push it, as it serves a good marketing tactic to make comparisons to what is familiar to the photographic community i.e. 35mm frame size. Nikon may not necessarily pursue a full frame body, as, frankly, you don't need to have FF to produce better pictures (eg concentrate instead on making CMOS/CCDs better rather than just bigger) and Nikon will likely follow this technological "higher ground". I suppose we can use the Intel/AMD analogy - clock speed does not tell the whole picture, and in digital photographic terms, neither does frame size.

Why do people want to cling to old concepts is totally beyond me.

YSLee said:
Why do people want to cling to old concepts is totally beyond me.

wat is old concept? :dunno:

RSU said:
Maybe Nikon won't, but Canon has and will continue to push it, as it serves a good marketing tactic to make comparisons to what is familiar to the photographic community i.e. 35mm frame size. Nikon may not necessarily pursue a full frame body, as, frankly, you don't need to have FF to produce better pictures (eg concentrate instead on making CMOS/CCDs better rather than just bigger) and Nikon will likely follow this technological "higher ground". I suppose we can use the Intel/AMD analogy - clock speed does not tell the whole picture, and in digital photographic terms, neither does frame size.

Read my message again, together with the quote. I wasn't commenting on the qualities of FF. Just pointing out to another contributor that should Canon face competition where FF is concern, it wil not be from Nikon.

Kit said:
As I see it, Canon will most probably have multiple approaches where sensor sizes are concerned. Full frame will only be found in their high end bodies(at least for the forseeable future) while the prosumer range will still be using smaller sensors for quite some time.

Full frame at 3k within a year?? Don't think that's going to happen.

I agree with Kit. If you are waiting for FF to be below 3K within a year...wait long long. It's not going to happen. The technology is there but they will kill their own market if they do that. Sure the FF prices will drop but it will not drop rock bottom man. Take a look of digital camcorder. how many years does it take for the price to get to where they are today. My advise is if you want to buy something now just buy it. Waiting for the price to drop is not wise because when the price drops you will be thinking ....maybe it will drop some more or maybe they will come out with a new model. Bear in mind that everytime you buy any electronic stuff price will depreciate...no way to escape that.

RSU said:
That a "pro" dSLR needs to be 35mm, so that it is a "real" camera...?
If You Don'T Own A FF DSLR You Are Not A photographer :)

Sounds familiar?

wilis128 said:
well.. how much was d30 when it was first announced? close to $5k i believe?

today u can get a 2nd one less than 1k.. so why not?

If you think everything will shed 75% - 80% of it introductory price eventually, then sorry... you'd be sorely disappointed.

Does FF need to be the de facto standard that dSLRs are compared? In a year from now, you'll probably have cameras that will surpass the imaging capabilities of the 1D (even tho it may not be FF) for $3k or less. That's wht we should be taking into consideration, not whether it is FF or not, IMHO.

RSU said:
Does FF need to be the de facto standard that dSLRs are compared? In a year from now, you'll probably have cameras that will surpass the imaging capabilities of the 1D (even tho it may not be FF) for $3k or less. That's wht we should be taking into consideration, not whether it is FF or not, IMHO.

surpass...yes of cos in terms of quality yes... but it will never surpass the factor that a 17mm will appear 27mm until FF :rbounce:

RSU said:

I think this thread wasn't started to discuss the virtues(or the lack of) of FF. Its a discussion of when or if FF is ever going to be affordable and that stems from the fact that the wide angle lenses are not performing as they should be especially for Canon users.

Hi guys, wide angles for DSLR are already here unlike just sometime back. Look at 12-24mm, 17/18-xx even FF fisheye !. They are not really that expensive now.

Kit said:
I think this thread wasn't started to discuss the virtues(or the lack of) of FF. Its a discussion of when or if FF is ever going to be affordable and that stems from the fact that the wide angle lenses are not performing as they should be especially for Canon users.
The relevance is that if the quality of products keeps increasing (whether FF or not) at this pace, FF would be sufficiently commoditised to make it to sub-3k cameras within a short time.

Status
Not open for further replies.