wohoo!! finally! (50mm Macro Related)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some test shots with similar subjects and shot at the minimum focusing range (manual focus, turn the lens to fullest extension).

macro_test_4.jpg

The coin test again.

macro_test_3.jpg

A file closeup.

macro_test_2.jpg

Mobile phone keypad.

macro_test_1.jpg

Coin again.

Note : All shots were resized for web and no other processing was done on the images.
Pls ignore the colour cast from my curtains as I shot these by the window quickly to demonstrate the DOF of the 50mm Macro.

since the topic has bought up the OOF, DOF...i have asked the question before from this pix..is this normal? and the diff is am using the std 35mm f3.5 instead of HG 50mm f2.

Once you are at your minimum focusing range (fully extended barrel of your lens), your 35mm should almost be touching the subject. At f5.6-f8, your DOF should still be very shallow. In your case, you should be like about 10cm or less from your subject? The DOF shallowness is normal in your case.

Congrats! :) Great that you can own one. I want also cannot. :cry:

Is this on ratio 1:1?
With the 50mm but without the EX-25 the maximum magnification is 0.5:1, i.e. half size maximum. The lens needs the EX-25 to get 1:1. Although the quality of the lens is very high and optically corrected for macro but the lens by itself only can not produce 1:1 macro.

I had shoot the coin to the point i reached the maximum focusing distance, i think thats the reason why it turn out that way.

Was refering to the Raynox Macro Adaptor bro ;p

I remember paying S$760 for my 50mm - but mainly cos my wife reminds me! :bsmilie:

The Raynox Macro adaptor isn't cheap (around $200 i think...) but you can get it cheaper if you order from eBay vs the local dealer.

Think of the Raynox as a "high quality diopter with virtuclly no distorsion"...

Check it out at the link below...

http://raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/dcr250/indexdcr250eg.htm

If I can make it to your next kopi session - I'll bring it along for you guys to meddle with ;)
the DCR-250 is a diopter itself... (+8) and it is going at about $110 here..

I shot my cats wide open at f/2.0 with this lens and they didn't look like this. The $1 is not very wide and the OOF areas are really very OOF.
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=268044

I would have been terribly upset with my lens if the shots came out looking that way. :(
It is such. The 50mm DOF is very very narrow esp at f2. I think I once asked you about the f number for your cat shots. I was surprised you got so much DOF, namely to have paws, nostril, eyes and ears all in focus at f2.

The 50mm DOF at f2 is kinda hard to use, but when used creatively can give fantastic effects with its very very shallow DOF.

And f2 also works for very well for portrait, when taken from a distance where the whole head fills the frame. Focus on the eyes, and you get the nose and eyes in focus and the focus going out just before the ears. But you must be precise in your focus. A more fail safe f number is f4 for portraits.

The way the 1cent coin was taken is not the way f2 is to be used. You have to be very deliberate what you want to be in focus and what's not, and have those to be in focused parallel to the focus plane. And again need for very precise focus, and even a little offsetting may destroy the composition, and that's where the E330 is very useful for such precise work.

Great, but where is the connection to TS's happyness about getting his 50mm f2.0 Macro? :dunno:

I am comparing the magnification using a 50mm macro and a normal lens with EX25.

Exploring cheaper alternate to shoot macro :D

the DCR-250 is a diopter itself... (+8) and it is going at about $110 here..

Do you have a pic to show the differece between with / without diopter. Am planning to use one for macro shots underwater.What about working distance with the diopter?

Sorry OT a little.. since we are on the 50mm lens. Yes I do love my 50mm lens too. Guess it will be one of my standard underwater lenes I'll be using. Just need to see with or without diopters will work ..

Do you have a pic to show the differece between with / without diopter. Am planning to use one for macro shots underwater.What about working distance with the diopter?

Sorry OT a little.. since we are on the 50mm lens. Yes I do love my 50mm lens too. Guess it will be one of my standard underwater lenes I'll be using. Just need to see with or without diopters will work ..

I don't use a diopter, but I know it will work with Ikelite flat port without diopter

P5131045_fs.jpg

I don't use a diopter, but I know it will work with Ikelite flat port without diopter
Nice image if it wasn't for those specs. :cry: Seems like your sensor or lens needs some cleaning...

Sorry for pointing it out, I hope you don't mind. :sweat:

Nice image if it wasn't for those specs. :cry: Seems like your sensor or lens needs some cleaning...

Sorry for pointing it out, I hope you don't mind. :sweat:

Dude..it's not the lens. It's backscatter...underwater.
Floating particles that reflect light to the lens through the strobe.

Dude..it's not the lens. It's backscatter...underwater.
Floating particles that reflect light to the lens through the strobe.
Dude... :angry: Why so angry? You are the photog? I thought it was sunfish... Anyway, I still stand for my opinion. Nice picture, if it wasn't for those specs. I count to five, maybe six. To remove them with PS is not much work and than image quality would be considerably improved. But OK, nobody :nono: asked for my opinion, so, honestly, I am sorry.

Dude... Why so angry? You are the photog? I thought it was sunfish... Anyway, I still stand for my opinion. Nice picture, if it wasn't for those specs. I count to five, maybe six. To remove them with PS is not much work and than image quality would be considerably improved. But OK, nobody asked for my opinion, so, honestly, I am sorry.

;) I don't think anybody was angry, thanks for your comments. Its indeed back scatter..:) nothing wrong with the sensor.
Yeah, I did notice the specks...:bsmilie:

Recently I had some sensor dirt problem and got very pissed by Olympus service centre:angry: , but thats another story:bsmilie:

A recent 50mm/f2 shot to share:

1SO100, 1/640, f2

...Yeah, I did notice the specks...:bsmilie:

Recently I had some sensor dirt problem and got very pissed by Olympus service centre:angry: , but thats another story:bsmilie:
Dirt in the water is OK. Dirt on the sensor is just a dirty word we're not supposed to use... ;) Too bad you have bad experience with Oly service.

Status
Not open for further replies.