Wide Angel Lens

That means, in the market, there is no filter for 12-24mm lens yet?
And it sound rather expensive ><

Can i can say that irregardless of what lens you use....
Nvr shoot at the lower or the highest angle, to prevent distortion??

For a 18-105mm>> Nvr shoot at 18 & 105mm
For a 12-24mm>> Nvr shoot at 12 & 24mm

No lens which is perfect, that it does not have distortion?

Then what's the point of buying those lenses, especially the wide ones. If you understand distortions, you can minimise their effects or use them to your advantage.

yes too wide you will get distortions at the edges and corners.. and also if its too wide then sometimes you compose a shot will have alot of distractions inside the shot..

sometimes will accidently catch the leg inside the photo.. (your own leg or tripod leg) =)

:sweat:

this is like, the photographer problem, not the wide angle lens problem.

If a photographer is faced with these issues, he should seek to improve his skills in handling wide angles instead of blaming the lens.

:sweat:

this is like, the photographer problem, not the wide angle lens problem.

haha, yes ofcourse its a photographer problem... haha, but for newbies then i guess, by not going too wide they dont have to think about such things ma... lol..

yup the distortion thingy oso can correct on the com, but some newbies oso dunno how to do that ma..

Hi. Sorry 2 hijack. Bt 4 my camera (500d) i still need 2 times 1.6 even 4 wide angle lens rite?

sorry to answer ur hijacking question... yes, for ur cam if you use a 12mm means about 19mm...

which is really quite wide la.. no worries..

haha, yes ofcourse its a photographer problem... haha, but for newbies then i guess, by not going too wide they dont have to think about such things ma... lol..

yup the distortion thingy oso can correct on the com, but some newbies oso dunno how to do that ma..

You are not going to be better if you avoid the problems altogether. Lens selection should ideally be based on shooting requirements.

I must had said this here for 20 million times. Perspective distortions which are inherent in wide angles CANNOT be corrected. They can only be minimised with careful placement of your subjects. Its curvilinear distortions which are associated with both wide angle and telephoto lenses that can be corrected.

yes too wide you will get distortions at the edges and corners.. and also if its too wide then sometimes you compose a shot will have alot of distractions inside the shot..

sometimes will accidently catch the leg inside the photo.. (your own leg or tripod leg) =)

I have never encountered before your own tripod leg in the photo :sweat::sweat::sweat:

Some examples to show different types of distortions associated with wide angle lenses before everyone spiral further into the realm of confusion.

4233128867_ca712faaaf_z.jpg

This photo shows perspective distortions. Notice the desk and floor tiles on the left and foreground were being stretched and deformed? This is the same kind of distortion which causes faces to stretch if you place your human subjects too close to the edges of the frame. These distortions cannot be corrected but can be minimised depending on how you frame the intended subjects e.g. not having your subjects placed too close to the edges of the frame. Such distortions can also be used to create dramatic and dynamic compositions if used properly.

209067789_ca5ecd7e0d_z.jpg

This photo shows curvilinear distortions (barrel distortions) to be exact, which is associated with wide angle lenses. Notice the straight lines at the edges of the frame started bowing outwards? This is the type of distortion which can be corrected but there is usually a limit of what you can correct also. Same with perspective distortions, curvilinear distortions can be avoided if you place your lines further away from the edges.​

Last edited:
Seriously I can't really figure out from the 2 photo, as where is the distortions.
Distortions mean out of proportion/shape right?
Maybe my eyes not sharp enough.. but the 2 picture look very sharp and nice to me.
Dun see any flaw.. from my newbie eye.

You are not going to be better if you avoid the problems altogether. Lens selection should ideally be based on shooting requirements.

I must had said this here for 20 million times. Perspective distortions which are inherent in wide angles CANNOT be corrected. They can only be minimised with careful placement of your subjects. Its curvilinear distortions which are associated with both wide angle and telephoto lenses that can be corrected.

firstly i didn't mention what type of distortions, so in no point was i referring to perspective distortions or barrel distortion or pincushion distortion... so when i said some can be corrected on computer i wasn't saying any in particular...

second i said "corrected" not eliminated... meaning they can be adjusted on the computer to help the photographer..

thirdly i didn't say it would make the newbie a better photographer, i just said that it would pose a problem to people who just know the basics and really dunno much.. or don't wanna take the extra effort to think about so many things before they take a group photo or a sunset photo..

YA but thanks for the clarifications on the different distortions thingy...

firstly i didn't mention what type of distortions, so in no point was i referring to perspective distortions or barrel distortion or pincushion distortion... so when i said some can be corrected on computer i wasn't saying any in particular...

second i said "corrected" not eliminated... meaning they can be adjusted on the computer to help the photographer..

thirdly i didn't say it would make the newbie a better photographer, i just said that it would pose a problem to people who just know the basics and really dunno much.. or don't wanna take the extra effort to think about so many things before they take a group photo or a sunset photo..

YA but thanks for the clarifications on the different distortions thingy...

So which type of distortion were you referring to?

I couldn't imagine someone entering a discussion about distortions without identifying which type of distortion he/she was referring to and say that they can be corrected, assuming he/she really know what he/she is talking about.

Last edited:
That means, in the market, there is no filter for 12-24mm lens yet?
And it sound rather expensive ><

Can i can say that irregardless of what lens you use....
Nvr shoot at the lower or the highest angle, to prevent distortion??

For a 18-105mm>> Nvr shoot at 18 & 105mm
For a 12-24mm>> Nvr shoot at 12 & 24mm

No lens which is perfect, that it does not have distortion?

Just curious.... what is this 12-24 lens that everyone in this thread is talking about (for FF)?
Is there such a lens?
From the description (no filter yet), it sounds like the AF-S Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8.... is that the one you're referring to?

As to the shooting at widest focal length... the distortion exists at just about every focal length, so if you avoid the widest and narrowest because of distortion, then what focal length are you gonna shoot at?
At the wide end, every mm makes a lot of difference. Seems like a waste to pay good $$ for an ultra-wide, then restrict oneself to shooting at a slightly narrower view.

Ultra-wides capture a lot of things, and so composing a scene is more challenging. If one doesn't want to think about so many things when composing, it's best not to get a UWA lens...

Any recommendation from all the Snr in here for Landscape lens?

a lens for landscape can be wide or telephoto range

All lens can be used for landscape shooting. Normally the ultra wides are their favorites. Plus the filters heh

yup! i love using a mix of wide and teles depending on how the scene is required
other than the ultra 12mm end, i also go as far as 200mm for landscapes too when i need a tighter more compressed look

ultra wide angle can exaggerate certain elements in a scene but it can be a double edge sword especially if there is too much unnecessary space left lying ard in the scene

ryan

Some examples to show different types of distortions associated with wide angle lenses before everyone spiral further into the realm of confusion.

4233128867_ca712faaaf_z.jpg

This photo shows perspective distortions. Notice the desk and floor tiles on the left and foreground were being stretched and deformed? This is the same kind of distortion which causes faces to stretch if you place your human subjects too close to the edges of the frame. These distortions cannot be corrected but can be minimised depending on how you frame the intended subjects e.g. not having your subjects placed too close to the edges of the frame. Such distortions can also be used to create dramatic and dynamic compositions if used properly.

209067789_ca5ecd7e0d_z.jpg

This photo shows curvilinear distortions (barrel distortions) to be exact, which is associated with wide angle lenses. Notice the straight lines at the edges of the frame started bowing outwards? This is the type of distortion which can be corrected but there is usually a limit of what you can correct also. Same with perspective distortions, curvilinear distortions can be avoided if you place your lines further away from the edges.​

tks alot kit!

This is UWA as well?
Under the category, it's a DX lens so suitable for D90 right?
http://www.nikon.com.sg/productitem.php?pid=73-61861521b7

Or rather this is better?
http://www.nikon.com.sg/productitem.php?pid=1318-32922b1581
DX lenses are meant for DX cameras, like the D90 you own.
Because they create a smaller image circle, the glass elements need not be so large, so they are generally smaller, lighter, cheaper.

If you do not plan to upgrade to an FX camera (eg. D700, D3) in the near future, this is a good type of lens to own. Why pay more? ;)

Nikon 12-24 quite expensive leh... not worth the price, in my humble opinion.
Tokina's 12-24 f/4 and 11-16 f/2.8 are much better value for money, and that's even before considering others like Tamron 10-24, Sigma 10-20, etc etc etc...