Why old people cannot part with old stuff

Most of them are suffering from Compulsive Hoarding, a symtom of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Hoarding is also one of the signs of Alzheimer's Disease and dementia..

as a volunteer, one go help the needies. as a old folks who needs volunteer's help, can one afford to go see doctor for such illnesses?

i remember channel 8 or was it u? there was a current affair program. the old lady said in the show, for her normal old folk illnesses (something about leg problem), to go to the poly clinic, she had to climb overhead bridge. if she take public transport, than not enough to eat.

I think there are a lot of agencies that want to help ppl, but it's hard for these old folks to know about them.

Recently I did some volunteer clean up to help some old people at their home...

The process is tedious than I expected as these old people just want to store so many things which something are so old and not working and yet they cannot part to throw away...

I just saw the same issue with a Channel 8 show where our Singapore actor and actress goes to people house to clean up and I can similar behaviour pattern from old people and I realised that one of the reasons is they spend so much money on it and cannot bear to throw it away...

How do you convince them that these stuff must throw away so that new one can come in from sponsor...the problem is that they even reject sponsor stuff as the emotional attachments are there...

actually i am skeptical why must a sponsor require that. :dunno:

Most of them are suffering from Compulsive Hoarding, a symtom of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

better be sensitive with this, for asians sometimes calling them sick or having symptom might get you some scorn.

It's real and it is a psychological thing that afflicts the young as well as old.
Photogs bluff themselves by using a fancier name - collector.

actually i am skeptical why must a sponsor require that. :dunno:

Hi, suggest we talk about ways to encourage old people to get rid of their stuff rather than the sponsor cos I dont want to end up with legal suit if we went towards to sponsor track...thanks all...

I also didnt know if people are suffering from a illness if they keeps things but I observe that it may be a upbringing as I spoke to this old man and he told me that his dad also keeps things in plastic bags..and so I observed this old man also wrap everything up in plastic bags and when we asked him what are the content in the bag, he says he dont know and we asked permission to open up and help him sort out, he says NO NO...and so we also dont know how to help to pack his stuff...