Why low-ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that's because I'm a very, very petty man... :)

But seriously, it's my opinion that this is a small part of a greater problem - that S'poreans can be quite "yau-kwee". Maybe it's a matter of perspective, and "reasonable" is relative, but by and large, I think even low-ballers know that they are low-balling.

To be fair though, the majority of deals I've made here have been very reasonable and no-fuss.

correction. i think Asians are typically yau-kwee. :)

I have encountered this before:
Bought at 890.
Wanna to sell at 700.
Someone offered at 500, saying that the item is sold at 620 in HK....... :bsmilie:

Now, how about this:
Seller asking for 550 when the price range is 530 to 580 based on the price guide. That is including a B+W filter. And then, say that he already got offers from 525 and 500. Quite doubtful la.

I would only buy a mint condition lens at 80% of the price at shops. If it is at 90%, I would rather pay 10% more and get from the shops. Any filter etc should be treated as extra sweetener for the deal.

I have encountered this before:
Bought at 890.
Wanna to sell at 700.
Someone offered at 500, saying that the item is sold at 620 in HK....... :bsmilie:

If i kana this, it's simple lor. I will ask him to get from HK lor :)

You see, that's the thing that human is like that. But they never thought of those online stuff, they need to get them without physically see them. They can take the risk if they want. As for me, i dun get things without seeing it.

The upside to the entire freemarket thing besides the lowballers are the uppricers!

You so often see 'BIDS' appear out of nowhere posted by the TS claiming that ******lim bid so much and ***h***p*** bid so much more. Of course, out of respect for privacy, NO ONE can ever verify if these bids are genuine. I think mabbie wan dae I oso use this tactic hor! :devil:

Agreed with the replies here. Just to add some views.

After trading in the B&S, I find it's funny on some behaviour.

1. Seller state a price. So is that a bidding price or a start bid price?
2. If it's a start bid price, no question ask, any thing lower is considered as low-baller. Trying to be funny.
3. If it's straight selling price, then why entertain bidding and encourage low-baller? Worse, later sold at an higher offer. Is that fair to the buyers who offer at the stated price?

I felt bidding has the effect of knowing what's the market preferred price and demand. If the majority felt it's worth that much, ultimately whether is it bid by low-baller or not, the demanded price will eventually settle down. Coming back, even if you have a D3 for sales of $1. If no one wants it, it would worth nothing. Just like COE. Why no one complaint when it closed at $100? Because it benefit everyone. LTA stated start bid at $1, so be it lor.

However, if the seller is selling the item at much higher than the demand price. Eventually, after much 'upz'ing the thread, it will closed without selling.

After all, it's still a supply and demand realistically.

Cheers!

The uncontrolled 'free market' here simply means 'anyhow', 'anytime', 'anywhere' and 'anything' oso can do lah! Seriously.

For me, its quite simple.

They are not obliged to buy.
We are not obliged to sell.

Here is my personal view of prices:

Lenses - Mint/Quality 10 - 80% of the average price from the price guide. If it is 90%, I might as well get it from the shop by paying 10% more and save all the hassle in buying from a stranger.

Lenses - Older ones - 50 - 70% depending on the condition, whether 3rd party or not, got filter etc.

Camera - well, prices drop very, very fast. If you dun use it, sell fast or else, the cam just fetch too low and just too painful to sell even.

What is the fuss all about.

Seller, want to fetch the highest price possible.

Buy, want to offer the lowest price possible.

The beauty of free market. When the seller's and the buyer's price intersect, a deal is done. So simple.

Low ball, high ball, no balls, we are really bored, aren't we.

The beauty of free market. When the seller's and the buyer's price intersect, a deal is done. So simple.

Low ball, high ball, no balls, we are really bored, aren't we.

:bsmilie: No Ball cannot play this game lah. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Super quote by Deadpoet :thumbsup::kiss::kiss::kiss::thumbsup:

ain't it nice to close this thread now

Low Baller's 70-200mm f/2.8 lens for sale.
Fast and sharp glass. Please name your price.

101593827.jpg

Low Baller's 70-200mm f/2.8 lens for sale.
Fast and sharp glass. Please name your price.

101593827.jpg

- Does it come with free coffee?
- Auntie charges only 80 cents how come you want more?
- Are you the first owner?
- Do you think you can deliver for that price?
- Not sure of prices, is it ok if I offer you 10 cents more for tea?
- What kind of warantee do you offer?

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.