Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never know.. I might change my mind after being convinced of Mac's superiority. Err.. does he come in electric blue also?

of course

34jan29-fanboy-1.gif

the blue one's a special edition that glows warmly in the dark like the cover of a macbook :)

well, if you want me to tell you what i think, i think 2 years ago, macbook probably had similar specs and lousier battery life :bsmilie::bsmilie::devil:

Sure. But that doesn't help people who want to buy now, does it? Apple does not 2 year old laptops (if you exclude refurbished models).

Last edited:
Oh dear where do I start (loads up very large gun with big ammo...).... here we go

6.5 hrs battery life from my old Toshiba M15-S405 notebook (Centrino Processor) that I purchased back in 2003. 10hrs plus with the second battery installed.

Wake up has always worked flawlessley on the M15, never missed a beat in 7 years.

I'll guarantee the build quality is superior to the Mac. This notebook has been thrashed around the world and been in to environments you could only dream of going to. It's never broken down and has only had 1 reinstall of the O/S and that was after I upgraded the HDD a couple of years back. It's processed in excess of 900,000 images too which is a serious bit of HDD thrashing.

Its on it's 5th set of batteries and is still in daily use, though now it's just a backup notebook.

Oh it's a full blown notebook, large, heavy with a 15" screen. No Magsafe powercord to screw up either, just a simple external power adaptor / battery charger.

Next.....

The most prominent complaint about Apple is about the price and the specs. Just on this thread, I've seen a lot of posts that say Macs are overpriced and that you can get a regular laptop (whatever that means) with the same specs or even better at a cheaper price.

That is what we are after here.

It wouldn't be fair comparing your your 2003 model laptop to a 2009 13" MacBook Pro base model. Let me get this clear - it is not fair 'for your laptop' simply because it does not have the same specs. Older laptops are chunkier and heavier. It doesn't have a comparably fast processor and it doesn't have the same type of RAM. The hard disk space is (from what I gather from Amazon) is a measly 40GB. The base 13" MacBook Pro has 160GB. The spec is not even good enough to compare to any current HP, Acer or Sony laptop 15" laptop.

And the most important thing -- it doesn't matter how good it is if it is no longer in production and you can't buy one today.

The most prominent complaint about Apple is about the price and the specs.

Actually if you read between the lines, the most prominent complain is die-hard Apple Fan Boys trying to justify why Mac is better than Intel.. err, I mean PC :rolleyes:

But I don't really mind. As long as they come in electric blue.

Just to add on. The second most prominent complain is about Apple's marketing strategy for their products, which unfortunately does deal with pricing amongst other things. Which provides lots for fan boys to then justify why Mac and accessories prices are higher.

Yes, I do agree. They look better. If I wanted an LV bag, I would get one too. But just make sure the LV bag is working fine, not for example, leaking coins out of compartments.

Unfortunately, I find the die-hard fan boys still unable to admit that Mac is not perfect, that it does bomb. I mean, I don't have a problem admitting that Windows 3.1 is a copy of Mac interface. Calling a Window's Thrash Can a Recycle Bin doesn't quite make it original. Linux users complain about Wintel all the time; do you see us trying to be fan-boys justifying why Windows is better than Linux? Or vice versa? No, because Linux users will be Linux users and Windows users will be Windows users. Sun is still trying to kill Microsoft, but you don't see die-hard fan boys out there like err.. Mr Electric Blue, do you?

Get the Mac.

You'll never regret it.

For one, the performance is better than ME, XP, VISTA, Win7.
Shutting down is only 3-5 secs (I kid you not) !
No viruses(at least not in the wild yet)
Interface is much easier to use.
Doesn't crash as often as MS products

If you still wanna run Windows on your Mac, use Parallels, Virtual PC or some other virtualisation software

Actually if you read between the lines, the most prominent complain is die-hard Apple Fan Boys trying to justify why Mac is better than Intel.. err, I mean PC :rolleyes:

But I don't really mind. As long as they come in electric blue.

Sure, but the people making such complains are mainly die-hard Apple haters who are always on the lookout for opportunities to annoy and make fun of people who buy or adopt the products that they hate. Haters do not understand that there is nothing wrong about providing justifications for a product and often tag users who are providing some information about a product as 'fanboys'. :rolleyes:

Get the Mac.

You'll never regret it.

For one, the performance is better than ME, XP, VISTA, Win7.
Shutting down is only 3-5 secs (I kid you not) !
No viruses(at least not in the wild yet)
Interface is much easier to use.
Doesn't crash as often as MS products

If you still wanna run Windows on your Mac, use Parallels, Virtual PC or some other virtualisation software

hahaha.. I think you are going to spoil wildcat's day :bsmilie:

I think you are making baseless assumptions. Again. But never mind. We understand (or at least we try to). Okay, group hugzzz.

The most prominent complaint about Apple is about the price and the specs. Just on this thread, I've seen a lot of posts that say Macs are overpriced and that you can get a regular laptop (whatever that means) with the same specs or even better at a cheaper price.

That is what we are after here.

It wouldn't be fair comparing your your 2003 model laptop to a 2009 13" MacBook Pro base model. Let me get this clear - it is not fair 'for your laptop' simply because it does not have the same specs. Older laptops are chunkier and heavier. It doesn't have a comparably fast processor and it doesn't have the same type of RAM. The hard disk space is (from what I gather from Amazon) is a measly 40GB. The base 13" MacBook Pro has 160GB. The spec is not even good enough to compare to any current HP, Acer or Sony laptop 15" laptop.

And the most important thing -- it doesn't matter how good it is if it is no longer in production and you can't buy one today.

Then stop making blanket bull$hit statements like 6hr battery life is longer than any notebook. Fact is that my old junker now sports a 320 gig HDD and while there's not as much RAM it's not much slower than the current Mac's as the centrino was a seriously fast CPU back then and still is good by todays dual core standards. My latest dual core centrino will run rings around any mac notebook in production and that's got a battery life of damn near 6hrs too.

Why I'll never buy a Mac :

1) Better specs from other brands at lower prices
2) Too many people have it
3) Don't like the Mac interface, don't see the point of running Windows on one either

If steve jobs can make the apple crowd go wild when announcing 'flush headphone jack' on an iphone, he probably can make them pay any price for anything.

Get the Mac.

You'll never regret it.

For one, the taste is better than KXC, BuggerKing, CarlsSenior, Poppies.
Shutting down is only 3-5 big macs a day (I kid you not) !
No viruses or bacteria (at least not in the wild yet)
Interface is much easier to digest.
Doesn't crash your body as often as KXC products

If you still wanna run on the track after your Mac, use stimulants, 3rd life or some other virtualization software.

If you think all that was rubbish, you're right. I think they call it paraphrasing. :)

Get the Mac.

You'll never regret it.

For one, the performance is better than ME, XP, VISTA, Win7. Evidence via properly controlled studies?
Shutting down is only 3-5 secs (I kid you not) ! That's a plus point? Great. My linux OS shuts down equally fast! wow... I'm so impressed.
No viruses(at least not in the wild yet) linux has been even more virus resistant, and i think in a recent challenge, a mac was the first to get hacked?
Interface is much easier to use. Boils down to preference I guess.
Doesn't crash as often as MS products Again, where are the statistics? Doesn't that depend on the make of the pc and if the os and software were installed properly?

If you still wanna run Windows on your Mac, use Parallels, Virtual PC or some other virtualisation software amazing. spending so much more seems more like a good decision now! I can go back to good old windows in the event that OSX can't do something windows can.

My linux machine has all the so called benefits and the OS did not cost me a cent. It uses less resources, shuts down really fast, great interface after some getting used to, not much virus, doesn't crash often - similar to my old IBM thinkpad, and I can install two OSes without much problem.

My Win 7 64-bit machine runs smoothly without much problems as well. It's a matter of preference which OS you like I guess. By the way, it is common that we value something more if it costs more. I'm not saying this is the reason why apple-supporters like their products so much. I'm saying this is probably a reason why so. :)

Last edited:
he's not spoiling wildcat's day as much as proving his point...

oh no, whenever i see

"get something, you'll never regret it"

if that "something" is a product in the market, you bet that person making the statement is fanboy. it's a sweeping statement that assumes that anyone else with different needs, preferences, tolerance levels will be able to accept the product like the person making the statement has.

sorry to spoil your day with the information that wildcat's day has not been spoilt. it has been made, in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.