Why Gitzo will always be better made than Manfrotto

Gitzo isn't Vitec's premium line. Sachtler is and if you thought Gitzo is expensive check out the cost of a set of Sachtler "sticks", as used by quite a few top end pro's and studios.

I'm learning a lot of history lessons here :sweatsm:

Gitzo isn't Vitec's premium line. Sachtler is and if you thought Gitzo is expensive check out the cost of a set of Sachtler "sticks", as used by quite a few top end pro's and studios.

When I click on the "System" I would only expect it to be tripod and head. Never expect to see so much more components.:bigeyes: Tis is an eye opener!

I'm learning a lot of history lessons here :sweatsm:
Your education is only just beginning grasshopper.
When I click on the "System" I would only expect it to be tripod and head. Never expect to see so much more components.:bigeyes: Tis is an eye opener!
Indeed, now you are in the real top end of town, Gitzo are just toys in comparison though you do need a bowl adaptor to run a still camera ball head it's a small inconvenience compared to the mechanical gains incurred.

1) Can afford, buy Gitzo
2) Cannot afford but wants Gitzo lookalike, buy some made-in-china value stuff (Sirui, Benro?)
3) Cannot afford and do not want made-in-china stuff, get Manfrotto or Silk or other brands suitable.

That is greatly simplifying the situation. Particularly your first point.

Even given the parameters that you have specified, point 1 is just in all honesty simply ridiculous. What if someone doesn't want a Gitzo?

1) Can afford, buy Lexus
2) Cannot afford but want Lexus lookalike, buy some made-in-korea value stuff (Hyundai, Kia?)
3) Cannot afford and do not want made-in-korea stuff, get Toyota or Nissan or other brands suitable.

For starters, why does your point 2 place over point 3? And as pointed out, where is point 1 right at the top of the pile in the first place? In my example above I think more people would be inclined to opt for option 3 than option 2 if option 1 failed. But who's to say they want a Lexus in the first place?

I happen to not want a Gitzo. If someone gave me one I'd sell it. If I couldn't sell it, I would leave it at home to collect dust.

An online community can be a dangerous place. A bit like the perception of this forum that Markins > Arca Swiss for example.

But Gitzo isn't the pinnacle for everyone. It's certainly not the pinnacle for me, and I take me and my lowly Manfrotto to mountain passes with winds driving at up to 60mph (100kmh) with multiple exposure and not had problems.

I wouldn't touch Gitzos because of their locking system. I expect some people wouldn't touch Manfrotto because of their locking system and it's entirely their call. Maybe someone wants their funny raise-and-tilt-without-having-to-remove centre column.

Another analogy:

1) Can afford, buy D3x
2) Cannot afford but want 24mp (omgomgomg), buy some non-Nikon-non-Canon value stuff (A900, A850?)
3) Cannot afford and do not want Sony stuff, get D3s or D3 or other models suitable.

Plenty of reasons why that's a stupid position to adopt. One being as already highlighted above, there are people who would want a D3s or D3 over a D3x.

Note: This is not in any way saying Gitzo is rubbish or Manfrotto > Gitzo, just that to automatically assume that everyone rates Gitzo > Manfrotto is just wrong.

Hi Jed
...and I take me and my lowly Manfrotto to mountain passes with winds driving at up to 60mph (100kmh) with multiple exposure and not had problems.
:)
Plenty of reasons why that's a stupid position to adopt. One being as already highlighted above, there are people who would want a D3s or D3 over a D3x.

Note: This is not in any way saying Gitzo is rubbish or Manfrotto > Gitzo, just that to automatically assume that everyone rates Gitzo > Manfrotto is just wrong.

Yeap yeap.. definitely wrong....

-- marios

because they re expensive ? mature ? or Popular ? :bsmilie:

btw im just using standar tripod, for what is GITZO, except u want to climbing and shoot in the mountain :)

Gitzo is not the best but good enough for me.
Owned Manfrotto twice. Got rid of one long ago. Don't like it somehow.
Sometime around 31 Dec 09 took out my other large Manfrotto tripod with pro-looking head (both in good condition) and dumped it in my lift lobby on my floor. Did not bother to try selling it. After reading all the unhappy seller-blame-buyer & buyer-blame-seller threads in CS.
Came out half an hour later and it was gone.
Guess some one likes it. Be my guest.
I am keeping my Gitzos.

Last edited:
Gitzo is not the best but good enough for me.
Owned Manfrotto twice. Got rid of one long ago. Don't like it somehow.
Sometime around 31 Dec 09 took out my other large Manfrotto tripod with pro-looking head (both in good condition) and dumped it in my lift lobby on my floor. Did not bother to try selling it. After reading all the unhappy seller-blame-buyer & buyer-blame-seller threads in CS.
Came out half an hour later and it was gone.
Guess some one likes it. Be my guest.
I am keeping my Gitzos.

pls let me know if u throwing the gitzo. throw to me can.;p

If for Photo Tripod: [Carbon Fibre Series]

Manfrotto (How many series/models? limited) vs Gitzo [(GT05xx, GT15xx, GT25xx), GT35xx, GT55xx]
-Compare the build, lock vs G-twist action ALR, closed length, maximum height (with center column down), weight, load capacity, stability(torsional rigidity), etc
-mid-range pricing vs very expensive

If for Photo Tripod: [Carbon Fibre Series]

Manfrotto (How many series/models? limited) vs Gitzo [(GT05xx, GT15xx, GT25xx), GT35xx, GT55xx]
-Compare the build, lock vs G-twist action ALR, closed length, maximum height (with center column down), weight, load capacity, stability(torsional rigidity), etc
-mid-range pricing vs very expensive
Your point is what?

U are quite wrong. Adelphi, for most of it, is dedicated to audiophiles. Just take a walk around and u will see cables that cost thousands of dollars. Just cables.....

incidentally many audiophiles are into photography as a hobby too. the typical hobbies that men go for -> wine, cars, audio, photography

Your point is what?

For Photo Tripod: [Carbon Fibre Series]

if you compare the build/material: Gitzo win
if you compare lock vs G-twist action ALR: Gitzo win

if you looking for compact, light [closed length, weight, load capacity]: Gitzo win; e.g GT15xx vs 190CX3 / 055CX3 ...

if you looking for stability(torsional rigidity): Gitzo win
if you tends to use heavy very expensive tele lens: Only Gitzo Series 3 or 5
if you need very high height: Only can find in Gitzo

if you talking about price: Gitzo very expensive

custom made diamond tripod beat all of your gitzo whatever la. :) :)

Perhaps, but I've used Manfrotto for a fair amount now and it's not generally let me down. As I said, I've also used my poor little set in very windy conditions and it's been plenty stable enough.

This is far from clear cut. I might be in the majority, I might be in the minority, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one out there in the world that prefers the locking system on Manfrottos. Stating it like it's gospel is hardly objective.

I do, and I don't use a Gitzo. Again, I might be in the majority, I might be in the minority, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one out there in the world that's happy with the results I'm getting from my non-Gitzo setup.

Amazing isn't it?

Imagine that.

A non-Gitzo tripod that works.

this thread seems to be going the way of GF1 vs EP1/EP2 in the m43 forum...haha...:bsmilie:

if you looking for compact, light [closed length, weight, load capacity]: Gitzo win; e.g GT15xx vs 190CX3 / 055CX3 ...

If you're looking for build/material - Sachtler win hands down. They are the ONLY european manufacturer whose entire product line is intended for the professional market segment.
Stability - Gitzo are crap compared to Sachtler. Torsional rigidity is far higher in Sachtlers and they don't suffer from poor leg lock designs either.

Any Sachtler will swing the longest lenses and heaviest cameras with ease as most of their CF tripods are rated 90-95kg load rating. Even the demure CF-100L (2.4kg) is rated for 40kg loads. Watch your typical Gitzo CF collapse in a heap with an 8x10 scanning back camera on it with 1000mm lens.

Cost: Gitzo don't cost much in comparison with Sachtler - a typical Sachtler tripod is going to set you back 5000-8000 USD.

http://www.sachtler.com/index.php?id=652&exp_pid=272&exp_cid=40&exp_mode=product&exp_flag=tech_facts

http://www.sachtler.com/index.php?id=652&exp_pid=289&exp_cid=41&exp_mode=product&exp_flag=tech_facts

As Jed said, not everyone likes Gitzo, I can't stand their poxy leg locks which are way too slow and cumbersome nor their torsional instability and lack of rigidity and load carrying capacity. But hey what does it matter as long as you're happy with the tripod you use.

Last edited:

all my tripods not gitzo.................

does it mean that it's actually me holding up my camera during those long exposures?

mine not even manfrotto. damn, my handholding ability with pentax shake reduction must be good. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

if you compare lock vs G-twist action ALR : Gitzo win

Note the clause: In here ONLY compare Gitzo & Manfrotto for Photo tripod : [Carbon Fibre Series] lastest model. Exclude other brand(s) like Sachtler, etc since the Thread Title: "Why Gitzo will always be better made than Manfrotto"

Last edited:
Perhaps, but I've used Manfrotto for a fair amount now and it's not generally let me down. As I said, I've also used my poor little set in very windy conditions and it's been plenty stable enough.

This is far from clear cut. I might be in the majority, I might be in the minority, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one out there in the world that prefers the locking system on Manfrottos. Stating it like it's gospel is hardly objective.

I do, and I don't use a Gitzo. Again, I might be in the majority, I might be in the minority, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one out there in the world that's happy with the results I'm getting from my non-Gitzo setup.

Amazing isn't it?

Imagine that.

Are you using the lastest model Manfrotto For Photo Tripod: [Carbon Fibre Series]? i.e. 190CX3 / 055CX3 ...
if yes, proceed to try the Gitzo lastest model Carbon Fibre Series Photo Tripod i.e. [(GT05xx, GT15xx, GT25xx), GT35xx, GT55xx]
then, compare this two brands (Gitzo vs Manfrotto) in terms of build/material, lock vs G-twist action ALR, closed length, maximum height (with center column down), weight, load capacity, stability(torsional rigidity), etc ...

Last edited:
custom made diamond tripod beat all of your gitzo whatever la. :) :)

In present, photo camera user will like the tripod as light as possible (weight of tripod), compact (closed length), and can support high load capacity with super stability like under super strong winds & difference climate condition. At least eye level without extending the centre column, etc. Excellent build/material with vibration damping
Last, as low as the selling price.

Any in the present market? .. .. .. OR I'am Dreaming ... ....

Last edited: