WHY Cser are stingy with their comment ?

Why CSer Stingy with their comment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul_Yeo said:
sometimes when I saw some bad photos, but lots of people say they are good. so being newbie, I think they maybe right and I am wrong. So I better keep my mouth shut.

I consider myself a newbie too.
In my opinion its not about having a lot of experience, or being a "pro" before one can comment on something.
Different people see things differently or else every photographer will be taking the same kind of shots.
That would be plain boring, wouldn't it?
I don't even like some of the pictures taken by true pros.
Comments from people who have no experience in photography might wake some photographers up to thinking out of the box, or seeing things from a different perspective.

Back to the main topic.
I'll comment on something whenever I have to even when someone else disagrees with it.
I can't speak for everyone else here but most of the time I view pictures from other members just to well, view and learn.
I don't think it's practical to comment on each and every picture I view.
You certainly won't want to see my posts all over Clubsnap, do you?
I know some people live in the Clubsnap forums but that's another story.
LOL
:D

KNIGHT ONG said:
yu sheng xiang xun .. :faint: :ipuke:

i think u mean yi sheng xiang xu.

Maybe it's just picture overload. There are a lot of photos being posted here and it gets a bit tiring having to think of what to say for every pic we see.

besh said:
the viewers # shoot up to hundred/thousand..... and comment is less than 10% over the #view..... why ?

Just one theory...

A lot of people ask for comments, so many look at the picture... and often find it's yet another sunset, dramatic sky, insect closeup, pet cat, pet dog, pet goldfish, "I-got-a-digicam-and-pointed-it-at-everything-on-may-way-home-from-the-shop", or "motorshow-exhibit-with- purely-coincidentally-some-scarcily-clad-lady-in-the-foreground" photo (not that these photos are necessarily bad, but just very cliche). If viewers could write anything constructive, it would have been written a thousand times before and be a FAQ...

If one expects viewers to spend their time on writing comments, one should "pay" them with a photo that is interesting to them.

CS's sub-culture:too many people comment on your comments :bsmilie:

Asian culture does not warrent us to express ourselves freely. We're much adept in keeping opinions to ourselves. We're not as vocal as say, the caucasians on our emotions and such. That's what I think.

Hi I'm new here, personally I think people are shy with comments, they do not like to post something offensive or something stupid.
I only give comments when asked, from a newbie perspective.

some possible reasons why...

1. dunno how to comment
2. too tired to comment
3. nothing to comment
4. dun want to hurt ppl's feelings
5. fear of being challenged to show portfolio to justify photography expertise and credibility in posting comments.

:cool:

satan_18349 said:
6. Don't shoot for the sake of wanting comments.

hmm...... u post for comments.

Think some of the Csers don't feel comfortable to comments cos some people might want to hear only good things . If ask question or speak the true, they might say you deteriorate their thread or so.

I did encounter it before.

Just my two cents.

I think CS is different to a lot of photography forums in that most of it's members are from this small island of Singapore and it's not as anonymous as other worldwide forums. If someone irritates someone else here, it's possible that these members will run into each other at sometime or at least know people who know the other party. Such closeness is great in some ways but I imagine will lead to some hesitation in posting crtiticism, however it is phrased.

I also agree that there is a sub-culture or commenting on comments and getting completely OT from critiquing. Again, this partly arrives from the fact that lots of members know each other personally and chat more informally on the forums. Some threads can turn quite 'msn' like, to the point that I cannot follow what is being said or how it relates to the original post.

I would love to see CS gain a more international following as this would lead to a greater variety of responses but in order to do so, it would have to change to be more appealing to a wider audience. And that is another thread altogether...

satan_18349 said:
6. Don't shoot for the sake of wanting comments.

Agree with you on that.

Some peope post photos to :

- share their work.
- share good news (eg: having a new born baby)
- share events information.

thus not neccessary for comments.

Do you have an urge to comment on every painting you view in a museum? Many times I just enjoy it. Or for those I don't enjoy, I just skip to the next painting.

Why the obsession for comments?

Why would I want to give comments? It's not as if you're paying us for the comments, right?

Wai Leong
===
besh said:
I believe most of you ever experienced this issue...
When you took some shot, and wanted some comment or advice.....

and after couple of minutes.... hour..... days......

the viewers # shoot up to hundred/thousand..... and comment is less than 10% over the #view..... why ?

** IT's NOT why you don't give comments, but what make you think members don't give comment?

waileong said:
Do you have an urge to comment on every painting you view in a museum? Many times I just enjoy it. Or for those I don't enjoy, I just skip to the next painting.

Why the obsession for comments?

Why would I want to give comments? It's not as if you're paying us for the comments, right?

Wai Leong
===

A time for eveything.

One can always criticise (or a better word - critique) or make comments on anything.

There are many reasons for people posting images - and one of these is to get feedback to learn. And it is one of the objectives of a community like CS to help others to learn.

I feel that there should be a mechanism for images to be posted for the sake of just showing/sharing without asking for comments.

But for those who want comments. Well. Nobody is obliged to post comments, except for the pure hope that your comments can help someone else.

Regarding museum images. I go to learn and enjoy. I look at museum exhibitions and try to understand why they work. I go as a student, to study, to absorb. And then hopefully my imagery can improve.

student said:
Regarding museum images. I go to learn and enjoy. I look at museum exhibitions and try to understand why they work. I go as a student, to study, to absorb. And then hopefully my imagery can improve.

Normally I go to the museum to absorb and understand/learn how they compose their images or even paintings ... :)

DarkForce said:
Think some of the Csers don't feel comfortable to comments cos some people might want to hear only good things . If ask question or speak the true, they might say you deteriorate their thread or so.

I did encounter it before.

Just my two cents.

It's true! I saw some people just get defensive when they receive bad comments

Status
Not open for further replies.