why buy a Mac ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am contemplating to buy a powerbook
however i need to use autocad and microstation and these softwares are available only in windows.

i heard that with virtual pc ..i can work around this.

any comments?

oops pardon the bad english.

however i need to use autocad and microstation and these softwares are available only in windows.

any comments?

It will run terribly slow I think under the emulator. But perhaps G5 might run these programs faster?

jherek said:
oops pardon the bad english.

any comments?

jherek said:
however i need to use autocad and microstation and these softwares are available only in windows compatible.

i heard that with virtual pc ..i can work aroundd this.

any comments?

Virtual PC, while a very 'cool' piece of software, in my experience turns fast and expensive Macs into slow and even more expensive Windows Machines.

Virtual PC not only has to emulate Windows, it has to emulate the hardware of a PC and then emulate the machine instruction set of the Intel CPU.

The programs you want to run have a repuation for demanding the very top of the line PCs to run on.

I guess it really depends on how much you will be using the above programs and what else you will be doing on the machine that will be running 'native'.
If it's only occasional use to view other people's work and to make minor changes, go for it. If you will be doing heavy CAD work, don't.

matthew said:
Virtual PC, while a very 'cool' piece of software, in my experience turns fast and expensive Macs into slow and even more expensive Windows Machines.

Virtual PC not only has to emulate Windows, it has to emulate the hardware of a PC and then emulate the machine instruction set of the Intel CPU.

The programs you want to run have a repuation for demanding the very top of the line PCs to run on.

I guess it really depends on how much you will be using the above programs and what else you will be doing on the machine that will be running 'native'.
If it's only occasional use to view other people's work and to make minor changes, go for it. If you will be doing heavy CAD work, don't.

sigh..not getting the powerbook then..
am doing architectural rendering..

sorry to OT , my friend selling a 12" ibook, 128 mb, 20gig of space for $1500. maybe some1 would be interested here. juz pm me thx

Status
Not open for further replies.